Humor Voyager Heavily Damaged in Collision

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
PASADENA, CA—Confirming that several components had broken off the craft and that most of its scientific instruments were no longer operational, officials from NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory announced that Voyager 1, the pioneering space probe launched in 1977, had been severely damaged Thursday after crashing into the end of the universe.

“It appears that, at approximately 8:20 this morning, Voyager struck the edge of the universe head-on at a speed of 38,000 miles per hour, resulting in significant structural damage to the spacecraft,” said Voyager project scientist Ed Stone, noting that the force of the impact with the outer border of the cosmos had bent the probe’s main antenna dish and completely snapped off its low-field magnetometer. “While we’re receiving only intermittent signals from Voyager now, incoming data indicate that, in addition to nearly totaling the craft’s thermoelectric generator, the collision left a significant dent in the end of the universe as well.”

JPL scientists added that Voyager 1 now appears to be moving laterally, scraping its left side along the universe’s outer edge, and that it is expected to continue doing so for the next 50 or 60 years until the remaining fragments of the probe eventually come to rest in the bottom-right corner of outer space.

http://www.theonion.com/article/voyager-probe-badly-damaged-after-smashing-end-uni-52996

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Just swap insurance info.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Funny. My first reaction was "what are the odds you'd collide with anything in space that empty?" It's not like the cloud of space junk that is LEO, after all.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I was actually rather disappointed.

I mean, at first I thought "Oh, cool, impact with debris in interstellar space, this ought to be interesting."

And then I got to the edge of the universe bit...

Mortov Molotov

Reaction score
A bit late for an April fool's joke, don't you think? ?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Umm, if it's thermoelectric generator snapped off that would kill all the power so I call fake here.... :rofl:

dman

Reaction score
@##$% Women drivers............

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So... you draw the line at the power source being gone, but not at hitting the edge of the universe? :p

It could have hit this:
encounter-at-farpoint-4.jpg

The article could be true and mankind just had its first contact with Q :rofl::rofl:.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Or better yet, this. From the first episode with Kirk, the Enterprise finds a barrier at the edge of the galaxy:

iu