Went geocaching today.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I tried it for the first time today, and I was suprised to learn on http://www.geocaching.com/ that there are at least 5 caches within a mile of me. I looked for all 5, but managed to find 3 in the end. It's a really awesome way to spend a couple of hours, and get some exercise! I signed off the date and my email address in all the ones I found, and then hid them again. I'd recommend looking to see if there are any in your neighbourhood! I'm thinking of starting my own cache too.
Anyone else into this?

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
20 within a mile, nearly 200 within 3 miles :blink:
Sounds interesting. But I don't have a device to do it...
Reason no. 2 to buy a dumb uhh, smartphone (reason no. 1 is this).

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I only have an Ipod touch with google maps - I looked them up before I set off, then I took a screenshot of their location on google maps, and then I set off on my bike to look for them! You certianly don't need GPS, but it is best to have a google maps-enabled portable device.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Tip: In-car GPSs can only get you so close, they aren't accurate enough to land you on the cache, even if you can get the raw co-ordinates out of it.

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Rather off topic, sorry, but how on earth does that "find my location" button work? It's terrifying! Finding my town using ISP stuff, fine, but my actual house?!?!?!?!?

As to geocaching.... what a fun idea. Heard about it on the radio some time ago now. I think we accidentally bumped into one on holiday in Wales, not really knowing what it was.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Rather off topic, sorry, but how on earth does that "find my location" button work? It's terrifying! Finding my town using ISP stuff, fine, but my actual house?!?!?!?!?

I pondered this last night, figured it out, and verified it just now.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/how-google-and-everyone-else-gets-wi-fi-location-data/1664
Whatever location services are available (namely GPS but also cell network) check a user's location. If they have wifi on, the device looks at nearby networks' SSIDs and MAC addresses and associates them with the location data.

I was surprised by how accurate my phone can be with wifi on and gps off. As long as I'm in a populated area, I don't necessarily need GPS to navigate. (as long as I'm fairly content with looking at the map as opposed to turn-by-turn)

Last edited:

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
I pondered this last night, figured it out, and verified it just now.
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/how-google-and-everyone-else-gets-wi-fi-location-data/1664
Whatever location services are available (namely GPS but also cell network) check a user's location. If they have wifi on, the device looks at nearby networks' SSIDs and MAC addresses and associates them with the location data.

I was surprised by how accurate my phone can be with wifi on and gps off. As long as I'm in a populated area, I don't necessarily need GPS to navigate. (as long as I'm fairly content with looking at the map as opposed to turn-by-turn)

So basically, because they where my house's wi-fi is in relation to enough other networks that they do know the location of, they can roughly work out where I am?

:jawdrops:

And the EU is wasting all that time/money with that stupid cookie "privacy" policy?! That's... astonishing. (sorry, George7378, I'll stop OTing now...)

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
So basically, because they where my house's wi-fi is in relation to enough other networks that they do know the location of, they can roughly work out where I am?

Yes, they do. With some warwalking it's possible to pinpoint the exact building and, with just a little more walking around, the flat. If you have a WiFi device, you have a short-range radio transceiver, it's nothing amazing. If it transmits, it can be located.

george7378

DON'T PANIC
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Anyway, I found 4 more caches today, including one right on my street, which was very rewarding to find!