Flight Question What are course corrections?

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What are course corrections? How are they useful in orbital mechanics?
Even if I write my Orbiter Experience as Advanced, since I have used Orbiter for 3 years, I still don't use course corrections in Orbiter Interplanetary Flights:shrug:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
course corrections are corrections in your flight path. When you are flying to i.e. Mars, you need to do Mid Course Corrections (or MCC) to keep your flight path on track for Mars.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Over time, your course will deviate from what was planned because of the influence of the other planets, which aren't taken into account by TransX/IMFD/What have you, simply because it is too hard to do it many times a second as required by the instruments. So, somewhere along your travel you'll have to recalculate an optimum course, and perform a correction burn (usually quite small compared to your initial burn; for example during a trip to the Moon the translunar course-correction is usually less than 1m/s Dv) to get you back on track.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
yes or if you pass by a moon and it alters your heading a little bit, you just "un-alter" it

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
To me, not doing any MCCs on interplanetary flight means acceptance of a low precision of arrival position. This personal choice makes the transfer between planets quicker as far as time spent in the computer chair, but eliminates doing slings and eliminates minimization of fuel use if wishing to rendezvous with craft or bases at the target planet.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just how much dV can one afford to spend in course corrections? With futuristic spacecraft and TransX I sometimes give up on organized and orchestrated MCC burns and simply use translational RCS to cook up the required orbit.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
In my experience doing a few well placed MCC can save SCADS of delta V when you get to your destination. For example, if you choose your orbital plane when you are half way between the Earth and the moon, then you can do it with a burst or two from the engine, if you wait until you are right near the surface of the earth, it may take half or all your fuel or more than all your fuel to make the same adjustment to your orbital plane.

Abloheet

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks all of you, for your help. Now, I can get to Europa from Earth in one orbit.:thumbup: