Question What do you want in a Base?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
(Model it as a spacecraft - that way you can have it venting steam into the atmosphere ;))

Problem is that it'd need to be in every scn file to appear, that can't happen.
I don't like the idea of venting precious water vapour into the atmosphere either.

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
Well, i've got a kulchitsky heavy steam cata pult in most scenarios i have at my earth base - it shouldn't be too difficult... Also, the PWR might not be venting water into atmo, more melting the ice crytstals in the air... Post some pics of the base as YOU see it - we can always pick it to pieces later ;)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I could easily put a smoke-spewing sc3 craft into my scenarios, but not into other scenarios, like the default scenarios that come with Orbiter, or other scenarios form addons.

However, Artlav did make this:
http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2781, I could put the reactor as a base mesh, and use that to do the steam, but again, the steam is scenario dependant.

Artlav also made this:
http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3009
But I am not sure if it records engine status.

Nontheless, I don't want to go around and say you need this, this, this, this, this and this to run this addon. It is supposed to be a replacement for Olympus base, and is supposed to be as addon independant as possible.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've gotten fed up of manually editing the .cfg file, and I am now using Ar81's surface base wizard. It make the whole process much easier.
Not much improvements over the last version, but I did add an extra hill and taxiways under the hanger:
Olympusbase2.JPG

Next:
-dirt roads and paths
-tunnels to the greenhouses
-possibly more greenhouses
-possibly more landing pads and another hanger
-airbag landing area
-nuclear reactor, solar panels, etc.
-weather stations
-storage tanks

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How about opening and closing hangers.

In real life, the base would have opening/closing doors. Look, I'd also want animated doors, but that means a Spacecraft3 vessel in every scenario. Now, I'd be perfectly able to put such a vessel in the "demo" scenarios included with the base package, but I can't go around and put it in all scenarios, i.e. the default scenarios, or addon scenarios.

Look at WHAP's Wideawake Ascension base, the hangers don't have doors, not even the clean room processing facility has animated doors.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In real life, the base would have opening/closing doors. Look, I'd also want animated doors, but that means a Spacecraft3 vessel in every scenario. Now, I'd be perfectly able to put such a vessel in the "demo" scenarios included with the base package, but I can't go around and put it in all scenarios, i.e. the default scenarios, or addon scenarios.

Look at WHAP's Wideawake Ascension base, the hangers don't have doors, not even the clean room processing facility has animated doors.

Use a skeleton scenario, which has all important vessels defined and which scenario makers just need to copy and modify. Orbinauts are smart, they will figure it out.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Use a skeleton scenario, which has all important vessels defined and which scenario makers just need to copy and modify. Orbinauts are smart, they will figure it out.

I'm sure many Orbinauts are smart, but I'm also sure that at least some are lazy.
Also, I'd dread the task of having to edit all of my .scn files.

I gues, the ultimate solution would be a prelude type vessel, including all the animations, that would load itself into every scenario.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I gues, the ultimate solution would be a prelude type vessel, including all the animations, that would load itself into every scenario.

Well, you would just need to add it. If you use a single module for the whole base, you could make the base also grow over time.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, you would just need to add it. If you use a single module for the whole base, you could make the base also grow over time.

Why couldn't it load itself into a scenario?
Using a single vessel makes it much simpler. Also, I try to keep the total number of vessels down, because some addons don't like a lot of vessels in the scenario.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why couldn't it load itself into a scenario?
Using a single vessel makes it much simpler. Also, I try to keep the total number of vessels down, because some addons don't like a lot of vessels in the scenario.

Well, because that is practically impossible now. But it would be possible writing a plug-in which creates vessels at a location in every scenario.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, because that is practically impossible now. But it would be possible writing a plug-in which creates vessels at a location in every scenario.

So the vessel unable to load itself, but a plugin could. Artlav did make a default scenario addon, which would add vessels if they were specified in a .sc file.
Maybe a plugin to load the vessel base if activated, and would not load the vessel if specified in the .scn file?

EDIT:
Sorry woo482, we posted at the same time. I was just mentioning that.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe a plugin to load the vessel base if activated, and would not load the vessel if specified in the .scn file?

Yes. I don't know if Artlav checks this, but I think it can work like that.

fort

Reaction score
Hello,

I do not know if it will be interesting for a moon base ( here Olympus ) but there is a communication center here ( .obj ) wich could be use i think as a start model.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/29194/3d-m...and-obj?PSID=3dca090d5b090b4944642c1d2ffdc7a6

I know : it is 20 mo...but with a good experience, i think that it must be easy to reduce it. I'd like to do it and i've loaded some part in Blender but i've many things to learn before to to success ( and an other project to finish...and a lighthouse model, and a jerrycan model, and a Fiat 500 model, and a bicycle model, and, and, and... :)).

I can't imagine that you would use the following one the moon but...:)

http://www.sharecg.com/v/22145/3d-model/train-station

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello,

I do not know if it will be interesting for a moon base ( here Olympus ) but there is a communication center here ( .obj ) wich could be use i think as a start model.

http://www.sharecg.com/v/29194/3d-mo...642c1d2ffdc7a6

I know : it is 20 mo...but with a good experience, i think that it must be easy to reduce it. I'd like to do it and i've loaded some part in Blender but i've many things to learn before to to success ( and an other project to finish...and a lighthouse model, and a jerrycan model, and a Fiat 500 model, and a bicycle model, and, and, and... :)).

I can't imagine that you would use the following one the moon but...:)

http://www.sharecg.com/v/22145/3d-model/train-station

Firstly, Olympus is on Mars, not the Moon.
I wouldn't know how to reduce that model, and it looks rather out of place for Mars.

Making models for Orbiter is differant from making models as an art form. Models in Orbiter need to be poly-low.

But thanks anyway!

fort

Reaction score
Firstly, Olympus is on Mars, not the Moon.
I wouldn't know how to reduce that model, and it looks rather out of place for Mars.

Making models for Orbiter is differant from making models as an art form. Models in Orbiter need to be poly-low.

But thanks anyway!

Thanks,

Yes. Olympus is not a moon base. I think that i thnk that i can remember it.:) One year without orbiter...you know...Olympus Mons...???

I only wanted ( " I do not know if it will be interesting for ...") to show a model for all purpose.

I know that Orbiter need low poly ( celeron 1.1 ghz , radeon 64 mo ddr, 512 mo sdram ) but i'm not sure that it will be impossible to extract some part from that model, reduce them with progmesh or what one want, and reuse them here or there.

Bah... I will try someday.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Help! I have a problem!

I have transparent greenhouse meshes. Now, when I look at the rest of the base through these meshes, the base disappears. Any way to fix this?

EDIT:
Screenshot:
basemeshproblem.JPG

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Fixed the problem by placing the greenhouse meshes at the end of the .cfg file.
Easy.