General Question What file generates KSC bases

jimd

Reaction score
What file or files generate the small pads that show up on the stock KSC base. These are small yellow square pads with green numbers in the center to identify the pad number. They are important to a very large number of scenarios in the basic orbiter installation

I am not very familiar with how bases especially KSC is arranged and this would help me fix a problem with a Hi-Res KSC issue.

Thanks

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Canaveral.cfg in /config/earth/base

PeriapsisPrograde

Wannabe addon dev
Reaction score
In the Orbiter/Config/<planet>/Base/<basename>.cfg entry, under the BEGIN_OBJECTLIST and above END_OBJECTLIST, there are lines like these:
Code:
LPAD2A
	POS 210 0 -46
	SCALE 0.75
	TEX Lpad02a
	NAV 132.75
END
The format is:

LPAD2A ;This identifies a new LPAD, type 2A, object.

POS x y z ; This is the pad's location relative to the base marker. X is south, Y is altitude, Z is east, in meters.

SCALE n ; This is the pad's size. A scale of 1 has a diameter of 80 meters IIRC.

TEX Lpad02a ; This tells orbiter to use the texture "Lpad02a.dds" (in the Textures folder) to draw the landing pad.

NAV 10a.bc ; This sets a NAV frequency for an instrument approach. Valid frequencies are 108.00 to 139.95, IIRC.

END ; This ends the LPAD2A object, and orbiter renders it. Don't forget the END line, it's important.

The pads are numbered according to their order in the .cfg file. .cfg files can be modified with a smimple text editor, like notepad.
IIRC stands for "If I Remember Correctly." Good luck. :bananadance:

Last edited:

jimd

Reaction score
Thanks

That is what I love about this forum -

In no time at all I have the answers to my questions.

Thanks

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OrbiterConfig.pdf in the Doc folder tells you how to use these files. Have a look there. :)

elephantium

Reaction score
Just how are you supposed to take off with a DG from those Canaveral pads? I noticed a scenario that started out that way and couldn't figure out what the point was...

Tommy

Reaction score
Th stock DG doesn't have enough (hover) thrust to lift off if it's fully fueled and "Complex Flight Model" is selected (in the Orbiter Launchpad).

You could either use the scenario editor to reduce the fuel load, or "un-check" the "Complex Flight Model".

Another advantage to pads are when creating vessels with the scenario editor. You can place the vessel on a pad without knowing the actual coordinates (Longitude and Latitude).