Question What space games do you like other than Orbiter?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I still play fronter: First encounters from time to time.
also, Universal Combat.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Aurora 4x, Star ControlII, Starflight, Planet's Edge (probably the most underrated RPG EVER). For newer titles, there's only Mass Effect that I liked. Also played a bit of Universal Combat, but I notice that I can't get into games anymore that do not at least have a newtonian flightmodel. It gets worse over time, I notice that I find it harder and harder even to get in a game that lacks gravity...

I still play fronter: First encounters from time to time.

You might want to keep an eye out for this. It's already pretty stable, and developement is going more rapid than I ever saw in any open source game.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
-Noctis
-Virgin Shuttle (haven't played it since Orbiter however)
-StarCon 2
-StarFlight
-TIE Fighter (1994 one)
-That one weird game where you could fly anything from a biplane up to a spaceship, and fight against a similar thing.
-Tried starting MSSS on every computer i got since deep 90's, never succeeding until very recently

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Games with space theme I played this year:
- Transcendence
- Starcraft (I)
- Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War
- Master of Orion 1, 2, 3
- Half Life
- X-COM Collector's Edition (UFO Defense, Terror From The Deep)
(what, all those games have space theme), and maybe more, but I don't have access to my collection right now.

And from the last year I remember Freelancer, VegaStrike, and one of the remakes of Privateer (maybe Gemini Gold), and probably there were more games I don't remember right now. I have X-Wing collectors edition (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter) and some part of Jedi Knight, but I think I played any of them 3 or 4 years ago last time at least.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I did play Freelancer this year as well but I lost interest at the end because the protagonist saves the entire galaxy, walks into a bar and no matter who you talk to you get the "Hey, I don't know you are you new here?" err, yeah I'm the guy on TV who just saved your Galaxy...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hahaha, Garyw's right about Freelancer, other than that it's a nice game.
The original Tie Fighter, and Privateer.
Honorable mention to Dune:Emperor

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Starfox!! (the original flying ones, not the stupid walking ones) Forsaken, Doom, Metroid series are my old favs. Just recently played through an RPG called Infinite Space and that was rather enjoyable. I could never affor a gamers computer when I was growing up so it was all console titles for me!

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
- Transcendence

I completely forgott about that, how could I! One of very few NetHack inspired games that manages to be completely different, still feel very similiar and keep the same level of adictivness as the original!

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I used to play Homeworld2 like mad, but in February it stopped working on my computer because suddenly DEP thought it was a threat and blocked it from running. Curse you, Windows.

Other than that, my list is identical to Orb's, except I played VegaStrike this year and never managed to get my paws on any Tie Fighter or X-Wing games. And I play Halo, which is pretty spacey. Space marines and all that.

I'd like to try Shattered Horizons at some point, but I doubt my computer could handle it.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I did play Freelancer this year as well but I lost interest at the end because the protagonist saves the entire galaxy, walks into a bar and no matter who you talk to you get the "Hey, I don't know you are you new here?" err, yeah I'm the guy on TV who just saved your Galaxy...
Yeah, Freelancer was kind of disappointing that way--the story doesn't even take you through the max-level ships, the randomly-generated missions aren't particularly engaging, and there are no "side quests" or minor story arcs to do. Freelancer was overall a great game that just didn't have the story to hold it up--I feel like if they'd spent another couple months fleshing out the late-game story, the game would've been a lot better.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It seems like games in general have trouble when getting towards the end of the story. Even Archimedian dynasty messed that up, while it had one of the best all-around world designs in video game history (discounting Mass Effect... that game is not without its flaws either, but it seems like they put a hell of a lot more effort into creating their world than Lucas did a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away...)

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I would play Star Trek Online, if it was free to play, but of course it isn't, sadly.
Although there is a FTP browser based Star Trek game currently in beta, but I can't seem to find it right now. :facepalm:

Darren

Last edited: