Who was the best astronaut?

jathey88

Reaction score
I think Lovell and Armstrong are tied. Lovell had 3 flights. All of them necessary to go to the moon. Armstrong was first on the moon.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
There's already a poll thread for something similar to this. Besides, asking who is the 'best' astronaut really isn't a fair question. They all did different things, and should all be celebrated for braving the unknown.

Last edited:

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
tumblr_m0zsp4F5451qgky92o1_500.jpg

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I have to admit I never really liked the idea of "who is the best astronaut?"

My favorites are Jim Lovell, Neil Armstrong, John Young, Steve Lindsey, Robert Crippen. No particular order. It seems that people always like to value the Apollo guys the most. But I have great respect for Shuttle astronauts. Working on things like the HST and ISS, impressive stuff.

When I went down to KSC and saw the Astronaut Hall of Fame, I thought "How odd! I would consider any astronaut that flew into space to be worthy of the Hall of Fame."

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Other than Jose Jimenez, my alternate top choice would be Pete Conrad. My top 4 from the old school would be Conrad, Young, Armstrong, and Lovell. All NAVY, you bet.

Last edited:

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That's alot like asking "Who makes the best taco?".

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I believe that John Young is the man with the most "right stuff". I remember that someone said that "the man who got the will to risk is life and just barely reach back, before launching up again the next day". I can't find a better description of John Young.
A true astronaut-hero who has done everything that an astronaut can wish.

FADEC

Reaction score
If we translate "best" as the most experienced one, then I would say it's definitely John Young. He has flown everything except Mercury, plus he did the first flight of a Shuttle which has never been in space before. Not even unmanned. And he seems to be a rational acting guy. Just the right man for such missions.

But that's just heroism.

If we translate "best" as the most funny and most pleasant one, then I would say it's Astro Mike i.e. Mike Massimino.

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
As far as I'm aware, all of the astronauts have performed their missions properly.

I don't see how any one is better than another. They all have done their jobs well.