Project Wideawake International Update

jinglesassy

Reaction score
wideawake is still the best base out there wehaveaproblem i wouldnt mind if it didnt get one as long as toehold rules :lol:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not a problem, WHAP, I fully understand the "RL" issue that often gets in the way of developing fun things. :) Just thought I'd ask seeing as how your images looked pretty sweet. Keep up the great work! :)

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
I'd like this: A bunker (maybe dug into the volcano) for experiments' safe observation point (or a nuclear war :p ;) ) and a high flag post (with beacon of course) high enough to be seen from the proximity of the island and help a bit in old-fashioned navigation.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey WHAP, just wondering whats up?It's been awhile since you last posted.Thanks

Last edited:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
shhhh, it's a secret

Hey Chaps,

Dev is sporadic and slow, but not dead. I was going to keep it all under wraps until it was nearly done, but I can't help myself lol. So, here is the latest.

Ascension island is getting a complete overhaul, from the ground up. The plan is to have less quantity, but more quality.
The new base will have the following features:-

- Higher poly single mesh of the island, modelled more closely to real world topography and scale, with new higher res texture.
- New (I think better) layout, with new, higher poly and tex res building meshes throughout.
- Runway/taxiway markings and signage.
- New 'Turn Around' hangars for winged vessels.
- New winged launch facility.
- UMMU and UCGO compatable.
- The base will now be a vessel, scn loaded instead of base file loaded.
- Perhaps best of all, I have been discussing with Face about a BaseControlMFD. This will allow you to control all the operatable functions of the base from within the cockpit (or from the control tower). Such as hangar doors and landing lights etc.

Here are a few early shots(not the best), showing the difference between the old base and the new. Work is still to be done on the texture and mesh:

au1.jpg

A view from the base site, toward the mountain.
au2.jpg

The foreground shows the old texture, compared to the new island in the background.
au3.jpg

Here is the rough layout plan. The 2 runways are now central, launch area is now runway side of the hill, and all hangars are moved to the north. The airport is in the far corner.

So there you go. This will definitely be a released next tuesday, so don't hold your breath. Any thoughts or questions appreciated as always.

WHAP

kevinvr

Reaction score
Hi Whap
Is there any possibility of making the entrance to the mountain a little bit bigger so that Dan's arrow can fit through it? I have used it for the arrow a few times , but always knock the back wings on the sides of opening:)
Thanks for a wonderful addon !
Thanks
Kevin

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Higher res textures and meshes aren't always a good thing, especially for those of us with lower spec machines.

I don't like the base being loaded as a vessel instead of a base though, it seems rather clunky and inconvenient.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Hi Whap
Is there any possibility of making the entrance to the mountain a little bit bigger so that Dan's arrow can fit through it? I have used it for the arrow a few times , but always knock the back wings on the sides of opening:)
Thanks for a wonderful addon !
Thanks
Kevin
There is no entrance to the mountain... I think you are thinking of Overton Island? I have no plans to add a mountain base in this release either. That saidm I may well add a larger landing pad for the Arrow and it's ilk.

Higher res textures and meshes aren't always a good thing, especially for those of us with lower spec machines.
I don't like the base being loaded as a vessel instead of a base though, it seems rather clunky and inconvenient.
It is a concern, I agree, however... sometimes I want to indulge myself ;). Ascension Ultra is higher spec for that reason. That said, with LOD and clean modelling I don't think it will be that much of a problem. Also, I made a lot of effort to keep the current WIN low poly and smooth, so that is always available to people if AU doesn't run smooth.

As to the base being a vessel - it was something requested by quite a few people in the past - like the Prelude 2 base. It has several advantages. The textures are rendered in more detail, it makes UMMU and the mfd possible, it makes it a controllable optional extra, and it makes it more future proof with regards to Orbiter Beta. I will still have a small base file load though, with the VOR and whatnot in to help navigation.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about an "invisible" vessel for things like MFDs and UMMU?

It won't allow better rendering of textures but having the core of the base as a base would be somewhat more convenient, IMO.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
On my version of Ascenion island I've added an "antenna farm" for communications with my various vessels. I'd love to see something like that and have them animated to track vessels..

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
What about an "invisible" vessel for things like MFDs and UMMU?

It won't allow better rendering of textures but having the core of the base as a base would be somewhat more convenient, IMO.
You make a fair point. But the mfd should make it possible to load the entire base on the fly, so you won't have to manually edit the scn.

On my version of Ascenion island I've added an "antenna farm" for communications with my various vessels. I'd love to see something like that and have them animated to track vessels..
Good idea, thanks! I've been meaning to add that since day 1. As part of this version I want to bring some life to the base with animations, so this would be a great addition. I'll ask Face about auto tracking vessels as I'm not sure on the technical details there, but there will certainly be a few swirly wirly radars around the base.

Dambuster

Reaction score
WHAP, that looks awesome! I love Wideawake as it is, so I'm really glad to see an even better version on the horizon :) :banana::banana::banana:

A few things:
The BaseControl MFD sounds like a great idea! Will we be getting controls for the vertical launch pads there as well? I've always liked that launch pad, but it just feels a bit empty to me. Also, I think part of the current Wideawake's strength is that there is so much there, so it feels quite immersive, but I think that if you cut down on those features (the various hangars etc) too much, it could leave a bit of a void on what's actually a fairly large island-base.

P.S. Are we going to get to use those neat looking blast deflectors? ;)

Last edited:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
WHAP, that looks awesome! I love Wideawake as it is, so I'm really glad to see an even better version on the horizon :) :banana::banana::banana:

A few things:
The BaseControl MFD sounds like a great idea! Will we be getting controls for the vertical launch pads there as well? I've always liked that launch pad, but it just feels a bit empty to me. Also, I think part of the current Wideawake's strength is that there is so much there, so it feels quite immersive, but I think that if you cut down on those features (the various hangars etc) too much, it could leave a bit of a void on what's actually a fairly large island-base.

P.S. Are we going to get to use those neat looking blast deflectors? ;)
Glad the idea appeals.
Yes, the launch pad controls will be included in the mfd. However I probably won't add any new functionality over the current SC3 version. That said, I might talk to Face about the coding logistics of a roll-out using attachments...
Currently, WIN is huge, I think it's a little sprawled out. I plan to hone down the base in this version, so it is a concentrate of what it was before. If the current WIN is beer, then this will be whisky ;) Hopefully, it will be more immersive than before because of that, not less.

edit: oh yeah. Yes the blast deflector stuff will be there, but reworked. The new layout calls for different venting. I think also the design at present is a little OTT for what is required.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You make a fair point. But the mfd should make it possible to load the entire base on the fly, so you won't have to manually edit the scn.

Still bulkier then just loading up the static objects and such via the base file.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Still bulkier then just loading up the static objects and such via the base file.
I take your point on board. I'll see if other people feel the same way before I change my plans though. I will consider loading the island and some of the basics into the base file. But I do want this version to be as pretty as possible, even if that is at the expense of a few users.

Interceptor

Reaction score
What about some ground vehicles UCGO stuff,like a crane,and a fuel truck with your logo on it,also you could have some kind of lox or vox venting-cooling system hook up for when the winged crafts such as the XR5 Vanguard land.to get rid of the fumes before the passenger departure.just thoughts.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Having the entire base as a vessel might not be a good idea, if I was making the base I would of just had the stuff that needed to be a vessel (like animated launch pads) as a vessel and every thing else in the base .cfg file, makes it easier to have just the simple stuff loaded so you dont need to have the extra base vessels when your not using them.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Having the entire base as a vessel might not be a good idea, if I was making the base I would of just had the stuff that needed to be a vessel (like animated launch pads) as a vessel and every thing else in the base .cfg file, makes it easier to have just the simple stuff loaded so you dont need to have the extra base vessels when your not using them.

OTOH, making a base a vessel adds the possibility to clone it, just like with Dan's Prelude.
Additionally, the higher texture resolutions as well as "encapsulation" of installation objects (no need to edit base.cfg) makes it a pretty good deal in contrast to the inconsistent mixture of static base definitions with animated vessel parts.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OTOH, making a base a vessel adds the possibility to clone it, just like with Dan's Prelude.

Yes, because it is so cool to have Acension Islands strewn across the solar system. :dry: