Wii remote plugin

J_Aerospace

Reaction score

Ursus

Rocket Tinker
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm... can't find youtube.com (says my browser)? Wow...

Any way... Orbiter already includes an IR head tracking module. Haven't used it myself, however.

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
But this this makes the screen 3d Virtual reality head tracking.

SethEden

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.SethEden.com
Actually...

Actually this has been kicked around on the Orbiter development for some time. I think the initial thought was to tie the Wii into the Shuttle RMS.

Head tracking for Orbiter is already in place if I remember correctly, no need to use a Wii for that.

Seth
www.SethEden.com

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
head tracking is allready in place.

But i take it you need to go out and buy special harware when you can do this with a wii remote of which alot of people already have. Iam allso takeing about recreating the 3d effect shown in the posted youtube video

SethEden

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.SethEden.com
Yea, your right, it's a couple hundred bucks for the TrackIR.

I see what you mean now, couldn't see the video because of buffering issues whilest downloading the latest HiRise data from the Univ. of Az.;)

Since the head tracking interface is already in place I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to extend it for this. Would be really cool actually. :D

Seth
www.SethEden.com

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
Thanks i have had a look at the wiimote apii which i have added a link above it looks farly simple.

forgaive me my programing skills only extend to vb.net but it goes something like this

import wiimoteapi

dim x as integer

x = wiiremote.x

camera.rotation.x = x

or something like that

just think what it would look like with a cool 3d virtual cockpit or a contrail comeing out of your screen.
All with existing hardware + a bluetooth dongle,if you have a wii or £30 if you don't to buy a remote.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The data delivered is basicaly the same as with the trackir. What really needs to be done is to develope the wiimote to act as a trackir device.
That way it could be used in most 3D applications on the market.
Thanks to TrackIR marketing ;)

ASCII

Reaction score
*pays special attention to this thread*

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
There is a massive following for useimg a wiimote with a pc, it has l;oads of applications especially if you use two of them . One to track your head to give you a 3d fealing and another to interact with your cockpit.

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
looks good but the wii remote has a lot more other functions have you looked at the you tube video.
as well as useing it for 3d Virtual reality headtracking you can use it as a mouse and also it has a complex set of accelerometers built in. And a lot of people have these things allready.