Flight Question Wind simulation??

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
picture.php

Has wind or atmospheric turbulence been added to the Earth or the XR-2??

Whenever I take off it's super squirrelly on the ascent. Also the flight vector indicator on the HUD seldom matches the direction of my fuselage. It varies back and forth as you can see by my contrail. I have to make little corrections with the rudder to maintain a heading. If it's wind I think that's awesome!! I just can't tell if it's a bug or advanced simulation :haha:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Was added in Orbiter 2016. (Actually, before in the Orbiter betas)

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Yes, it's wind, but the implementation needs a lot more work, as was discussed in some other thread (sorry guys, I haven't gotten around to do anything on that yet).

What's that curious Moiré pattern in your image? Is that photographed straight from the monitor, or is it some fancy new visual effect? I guess people who like lens flare would be thrilled by this :lol:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Has wind or atmospheric turbulence been added to the Earth or the XR-2??

It can be turned off under the Parameters tab of the Launchpad if you don't wanna be "super squirrelly" :thumbup:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
wow!! cool! No way I'm turning it off! I'm totally excited about it!!!

My launching was so routine I didn't even notice for the past month. I guess I'm usually just looking at the surface MFD and temperature readout :lol:

The only reason I noticed was that I was trying to maintain a really strict heading to fly over the Richat structure and see how detailed it was with the new texturing (looks great btw).

I was just having flashbacks to when my flight stick started failing and the center calibration would drift for some reason. I've also had weird problems in the past with cargos and things mucking up the center of mass on my vessel making it handle in odd ways.

@Martins- It's a special photoshop plug-in that simulates taking screenshots with a cellphone! nah jk I took a screen shot the old fashioned way... or... maybe PrtScn is the old fashioned way...:hmm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
@Martins- It's a special photoshop plug-in that simulates taking screenshots with a cellphone! nah jk I took a screen shot the old fashioned way... or... maybe PrtScn is the old fashioned way...:hmm:

You can also take a look at Greenshot there...

http://getgreenshot.org/

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You can also take a look at Greenshot there...

For a moment there I thought it would only take screenshots in black/green monochrome... :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For a moment there I thought it would only take screenshots in black/green monochrome... :lol:

Well, black/amber is good enough for somebody of my generation. :lol:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I usually use Snipping Tool but that highlighting and obfuscating looks pretty handy :idea: