Software Windows update new method

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey I was just wondering how all the computer Guru are updating their windows,either by the monthly roll ups,or security only patches,so to avoid Microsofts telemetry software? Some advice please,I am still using win 7 64 bit,and IE 11.Thanks

mxk

Reaction score

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What are you trying to avoid? I just let the OS update when it wants.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hello, I found this site
http://www.ghacks.net/2015/08/14/comparison-of-windows-10-privacy-tools/
on the Internet which describes how you can fight the telemetry in Windows 10,8,7

from my experience, I stopped on these software solutions to handle with telemetry in windows
https://github.com/Nummer/Destroy-Windows-10-Spying/releases
Destroy Windows 10 Spying

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10/update
O&O ShutUp10 (Shut Up 10)

https://www.securilla.com/privacy-repairer
Privacy Repairer
Nothing mentioned about win 7 in the links.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I hardly have problems right now with "Microsoft telemetry software". I disabled the most extreme settings, so far people are still investigating if Microsoft violates the really strict German privacy laws at all. It isn't that easy.

For example, what Windows 7 already is allowed to transmit after an application crash is a lot, but if you are not watching out, Windows 10 also transmits what you had for dinner last weekend.

I would say, if you are really caring about privacy, use Linux with really conservative settings. Windows is always a pact with the devil because you can't control it completely. Unless you have some enterprise installation. Most software patches above are simply trying to cheat Windows 10 into believing it is running as enterprise software. But that hardly works until the next patchday.

Interceptor

Reaction score
What are you trying to avoid? I just let the OS update when it wants.
I am not an alarmist,but after reading articles about Microsofts telemetry software,I am a little concerned about them using,or selling my information,for profit.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I am not an alarmist,but after reading articles about Microsofts telemetry software,I am a little concerned about them using,or selling my information,for profit.

Then, Windows might not be the OS for you. Even with rather normal anonymous usage statistics, Microsoft can make a lot of money. Not by selling it to other companies, but by knowing better what their customers actually do. It is not uncommon since the internet is widespread. Even many Linux tools do that.

Interceptor

Reaction score
Sorry,I am not changing over to Linux,it has to many compatability problems with software,and games,I will take my chances with Microsoft,and try to cut down the spying as best,I can.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Most Win 10 Telemetry tools disable parts of the OS they don't understand. They WILL hurt the security of your system and can damage it in ways that can only be fixed by system restore or reinstalling.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Then, Windows might not be the OS for you. Even with rather normal anonymous usage statistics, Microsoft can make a lot of money. Not by selling it to other companies, but by knowing better what their customers actually do. It is not uncommon since the internet is widespread. Even many Linux tools do that.

Not to mention this kind of anonymous data sending is used by many games and software developers to gauge their programs' performance and usage statistics. In a manner of speaking, you probably shouldn't fear this kind of thing unless you're a super secret spy because I seriously doubt Microsoft has it in for you. They just want to make their OS better; however, I can sympathize with your privacy concerns, but it's nothing to potentially damage your OS over by disabling telemetry services as it's a pretty transparent practice nowadays albeit not perfect.

Sorry,I am not changing over to Linux,it has to many compatability problems with software,and games,I will take my chances with Microsoft,and try to cut down the spying as best,I can.

Then perhaps maintain Windows strictly for gaming and software that you absolutely must use on Windows. For maximum privacy switch to Ubuntu, or some other Linux distro for those things which require such clandestine operations. I've found that having access to both systems opens up a world of opportunity for the user.

Most Win 10 Telemetry tools disable parts of the OS they don't understand. They WILL hurt the security of your system and can damage it in ways that can only be fixed by system restore or reinstalling.

And if you go disabling stuff like an overstimulated mouse on Linux, well, please make sure to do backups. Resetting Windows is a lot less complicated than trying to recover, or set up Linux after a reinstall. ;)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And if you go disabling stuff like an overstimulated mouse on Linux, well, please make sure to do backups. Resetting Windows is a lot less complicated than trying to recover, or set up Linux after a reinstall. ;)

Depends - if you do Linux by the standards, this situation should never happen to you. Usually, this happens in Linux installations, that had been badly hacked together. I know some of those in productive installations, it is heartbreaking.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Depends - if you do Linux by the standards, this situation should never happen to you. Usually, this happens in Linux installations, that had been badly hacked together. I know some of those in productive installations, it is heartbreaking.

Let's just say that my baby-Linux days were rife with me not knowing what the hell I was doing at all.

A bunch of reading later: I can pretty much avoid crippling my installations. :lol:

Around the time I accidentally destroyed GRUB was the time I taught myself to stop messing with things I didn't know what they were.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Let's just say that my baby-Linux days were rife with me not knowing what the hell I was doing at all.

A bunch of reading later: I can pretty much avoid crippling my installations. :lol:

Around the time I accidentally destroyed GRUB was the time I taught myself to stop messing with things I didn't know what they were.

Linux is a very user-friendly operating system.

It just chooses its friends wisely.

You have no idea how much insanity it causes to fix a ONC-RPC issue in the portmap tool. :lol:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Linux is a very user-friendly operating system.

It just chooses its friends wisely.

You have no idea how much insanity it causes to fix a ONC-RPC issue in the portmap tool. :lol:

Nope, I sure don't. I don't want to know either. :lol: I've mostly used Linux as an OS with a word-processor suite for my old IBM ThinkPad T42 when I rediscovered how horribly Windows XP handles hidden wireless networks.

I cloud-sync all my work and having network adapter software that works constantly with an OS is pretty important to me.

That being said, my knowledge in Linux is sufficient enough to research Ubuntu threads for solutions to my problems, and enough to have a basic understanding of how to use the package manager effectively. ;)

Oh yeah, and to stay the hell away from GRUB.

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
I guess maybe,I will just bite the bullet,and download every important update that Microsofts putting up,but,I will think about it for awhile,but if anybody else has any more advice please let me know,and thanks again for all the answers.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My view is that this is not a big deal. Microsoft is collecting anonymized basic usage data, for product development and optimization. It's not a drag-net to spy on every file you access, or to extract your personal property off the box. You have the ability to dial up or down the amount of data going to Microsoft.

If you are OK to use Windows at all, then my view is you should probably let it do its thing and give you updates as needed to keep things running smoothly.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My view is that this is not a big deal. Microsoft is collecting anonymized basic usage data, for product development and optimization. It's not a drag-net to spy on every file you access, or to extract your personal property off the box. You have the ability to dial up or down the amount of data going to Microsoft.

If you are OK to use Windows at all, then my view is you should probably let it do its thing and give you updates as needed to keep things running smoothly.

Or if you absolutely, positively must control updates. Setup a time schedule for manual updating. Remember that not updating is just as unsafe as your fears of Microsoft wrongly using data.