Gaming Xenonauts

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
So, I mentioned this in the RCT, but figured it deserves its own thread. Xenonauts is a remake of the original X-COM by a small indie company founded by a fan for the purpose of developing this game. The game itself is set during an alternate history Cold War in 1979 during an alien invasion, and you play the role of the commander of an "alien defence task force", or the Xenonauts. Based on the demo, it is very heavily based on X-COM, albeit in a good way, in my opinion. Also, they have a Minecraft/KSP style system of pre-orders, where you get to try the Alpha at a reduced price, and every version after that is free for Alpha buyers.(Including the full version)

http://www.xenonauts.com/

Here is the demo download.(Early Alpha)

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/97473/xenonauts-kickstarter-demo-alpha

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Also, they have a Minecraft/KSP style system of pre-orders, where you get to try the Alpha at a reduced price, and every version after that is free for Alpha buyers.(Including the full version)

I knew about the game being in development, but this is some nice information. Will definitely place a pre-order.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I've been trying the pre-order Alpha, and this is fantastic! I set up a base in the southwestern US, and I'm actually starting to become attached to my team. I've run three combat missions with them, and so far none of the team has been killed, though one was seriously injured in the last mission. That's unusual for X-COM/Xenonauts...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Out of nostalgia, I just downloaded all the X-COM games from Steam. $14.99 and I got a whole mess of game material to keep me agitated (beyond a multi-sling setup to Neptune...).

Anyway, I think I may pre-order Xenonauts too, it looks really good.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Even though I didn't play them when they first came out, I believe they still hold up quite nicely, even for a newcomer.

orb

O-F Administrator,
News Reporter
Reaction score
Out of nostalgia, I just downloaded all the X-COM games from Steam.

{...}

I think I may pre-order Xenonauts too, it looks really good.
You may also be interested in downloading open source UFO: Alien Invasion, which is in similar climate but starts in year 2084. :thumbup:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You may also be interested in downloading open source UFO: Alien Invasion, which is in similar climate but starts in year 2084. :thumbup:

At this recommendation, I gave that game a try. There goes the whole morning. :p

Very good game, very hard to get a base operational early on. The aliens always seem to attack before the SAM batteries are complete. Lost many soldiers to this.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ah, finally... I bought the preorder about a year ago, then somehow lost track. "Free" game for me this summer :p