XR2 replacing DGIV (poll)

What do you think about the rplacement of DGIV by XR2?

• Total voters

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Helloo, folks

with the tie the XR2 seems to replace the DGIV. I like both ships, but i think also DGIV should be more used, I don't like to see it getting replaced.
What do you think about that?
Should we do something like DGIV-day (anniversary) to make it more popular and revive it again?

greetings :tiphat:, HAL9001

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Replacing? What's replacing what? We're not running a commercial fleet here so you can use all the spaceships you want.
The XR2 is a more challenging craft to fly in the atmosphere and into orbit, but the DGIV can take you practically anywhere in the solar system and is very forgiving.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
That's absolutely true, I just think it's sad that an AWESOME ship like the DGIV is ALMOUST not used anymore.
I think we should also revive the good old times while making progress.

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
I love both. XR2 for the glamour, DGIV for the hard work made easy!

DGIV may be older, but it's still an awesome ship.

I found it very useful as a newbie to orbital mechanics - less worry about blowing up (a la stock DG), but still a nice level of autopilots and other systems (a la XR2, Starliner etc.).

APDAF

Reaction score
The DGIV is more of a basic training ship than the XR-2.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Almost not used? the DGIV is the mainstay of ISA operations with the XR-2 and XR-5 coming close seconds but then we also use Soyuz and many other rockets.

That's the beauty of orbiter, being able to change between ships for different things.

PennyBlack

Altea Development Team
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pennyblack.yolasite.com
I don't normally say what I vote for, but this time I think for the sake of others personal preference, I voted... What does this matter - as long as everyone can choose for themselves, what ship he/she uses.

I love a good poll. :)

Robsoie

Reaction score
It's a matter of preference, for me it's the XR-2 that i use in most of my Orbiter flights.
The DG-IV is always a very good ship, but i prefer the XR-2.

At first it was the 3D cockpit of the XR-2 that got it my preference.

Even if it's non-functionning yet , it allows for a nice immersivity that the 2D panels do not, as i just love flying around space stations and looking with the freelook from my cockpit seat, or admiring the planets and moons from the windows.

Then after flying more and more, now i simply can't get enough of the XR-2, i just love that ship.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You could also ask if Space Shuttle Ultra should replace Shuttle Fleet... the same kind of nonsense. Both are add-ons, both are a matter of taste and both are pretty different.

Kveldulf

Reaction score
I've started using the DGIV for LEO operations, and the XR2 for occasional ISS trips, but mostly for trips to the Moon and such.

Not exactly a replacement.

kevin580

Reaction score
Website
www.ascensionspaceagency.jimdo.com
I use the DGIV for training, like the most do, or in combination with the Arrow or/and UCGO for interplanetary travel.
The XR2 is more like a "after work" spaceship, I use it for fun. It's more "easy".

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I nearly only use the DG-IV because of the lag with the XR2. I think both ships are really nice but for now im sticking with the DG-IV.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
The DG-IV compares to the XR2 about the way the F-16 compares to the F-4 Phantom

- The DG-IV is slicker and more automated.
- DG-IV has a more sophisticated autopilot, that completes more basic tasks for you.
- DGIV is more forgiving and more aerodynamic.

- XR2 has buckets upon buckets of brute power.
- XR2 is more fuel efficient with properly flown ascent.
- XR2 is smooth as a balerina in space
- XR2 carries more payload

Upshot: the DG-IV is better for light payload and/or ISS crew rotations. XR-2 is better for heavy payload missions, such as carrying crew/cargo up to a waiting Shuttle-A:) Neither is very realistic, but XR2 has a slight edge in that department as well;)

Wonderer

Reaction score
I use the XR2 for LEO or moon flights and the DG IV for interplanetary flights (coupled with the arrow). Why?Because I don't like dragging a couple of SCRAM engines to Mars/Jupiter/Saturn etc. But this may change when the XR2 MK II and the G42-200 comes out.

Chub777

Reaction score
The DGIV has more autopilots than the XR2. The XR2 makes up for it with it's engines, fuel and payload.

halcyon

Reaction score
That's absolutely true, I just think it's sad that an AWESOME ship like the DGIV is ALMOUST not used anymore.

Almost not used anymore?
Did you poll the entire Orbiter community via PM? Because I sure don't see close to the 6,800+ members that Orbiter Forum has in your poll.
Actually, your poll only has 35 votes, with the majority saying both ships are used equally.

Can you share where you're getting your information about the drop in DGIV usage please?

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Almost not used anymore?
Did you poll the entire Orbiter community via PM? Because I sure don't see close to the 6,800+ members that Orbiter Forum has in your poll.
Actually, your poll only has 35 votes, with the majority saying both ships are used equally.

Can you share where you're getting your information about the drop in DGIV usage please?

You can see that less and less screenshot, Videos, Bug-rports, etc. contain the DGIV...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
In my own little "Orbiter-World" the DGIV is a workhorse, while the XR-1 is/was a test-bed for the XR-2.
The XR-2 (as sexy as she is) is something that my VSA would lease for short-term use due to it's price tag. The same is true for the XR-5, big ship, big capability, big price.