XR5 Expedition - ESA Grand Tour

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Greetings fellow probe-hailers,
I've already been to Mars a couple of times, but today I wanted to try something new...in two years of flying Orbiter I've never been to one of it's moons. So I placed a Prelude base on Phobos and loaded up an XR5 with "slightly" modified ISP with enough UCGO cargos for at least three decent bases. Took off from Wideawake international and after a 6 month flight I arrived at Mars orbit, in order to proceed to Phobos.

As I landed this spectacular view awaited me:

So the idea struck me...let's deploy a probe since we're more or less in mars orbit. As I did so, I deployed, or rather ejected, not a probe but some other cargo...still have to get acquainted with the XR5-UCGO stacks.

If someone wonders why there are 3 UCGO hab modules or lights flying around mars you know why.

Tried to retrieve one cargo with a UMMU but had to rescue him too:

Second landing:

After this..."experience" I thought it might be a good idea to transfer all crew into the base, but I nearly lost half the crew this way...one at a time is the key to a successful transfer it seems. Well, to be honest I nearly lost my ship this way :blush: .

There should be a way to tie a ship down...if I'm not mistaken Attitude MFD can be used to station-keep, right?
Should try that out...

Anyway, unless I manage to loose again the ship, Bases will be setup on Mars and possibly Mercury with a probe launched on Venus, if all goes well, before turning back to earth.

EDIT: since this trip was done with an insanely huge Isp, I thought it might well be nice to use the ship to go to the outer planets too: so off we go to jupiter!

Now I did a very big mistake during the flight to Jupiter while learing IMFD...I didn't check the inclination! This meant a retrograde orbit which made a landing on Europa, as originally planned to setup a UMMU base, impossible, but I still managed to perform a nice flyby:

Now I'll have to see...it really was just a spontaneus idea to go to the outer planets, but this also means that I didn't check for any windows. I'll see if I can manage to get to Titan to make a base there. :)