Question your opinion on elevators/lifts

Keatah

Reaction score
as for me,i have a piece of software that simulates them,i am a very big fan of them(i even film/review them)

An elevator simulator? I just got a bus simulator, and now something else? Cool!

Well anyways I love the things. In fact I always wanted to be an operator when I grew up.

Last edited:

Sky Captain

Reaction score
I'd like them if they had at least 2 G acceleration and zero G simulation. Then I would take my laptop and play Orbiter while riding an elevator up and down.

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
How do they manage not to get toasted by the current in the contact wire?

I guess by not touching the wire :).
The highest voltages in commonly used railway electrifications systems are 3kV DC and 25V AC, so staiyng 4-5 cm away from the wire in the air under standard conditions should be safe(maybe not very smart but relatively safe:lol:).

And as for elevators. Why not to like them? They're helpful.

Last edited:

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I like to walk into a crowded one and stand next to the poshest person that I can find, then let off a massive fart and look disapprovingly at them

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Ohhhh, so you're the one...

I can't complain much, my daughter has done that, and the wife blames me for her behavior.

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
I like elevators. I remember how, as a kid, I used to nag my parents to take me to a building that had an elevator, just so I could ride it up and down :lol:.
The glass ones are a bit more...interesting since I tend to have a fear of heights until I get used to the place. But they're a go too.
The coolest elevator I've been on so far is this one:

Last edited:

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I love them. I wish my university had more of them.....Actually on this site a cable car would make a lot more sense.

If you know me, you know I've had some fun with my knees of the past few years, without lifts I would probably be retired due to disability. Not that I can't use stairs now, but for quite some time it was agony every step of the way. (ergh pun)

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
hate them, hate them, hate them. I have many times walked stairs to avoid a lift. I hate them with a passion.

his opinion would change if he worked on the top floor.

As for me i couldn't care either way, a fast mode of transportation and somewhat safe.

Krys

Resident Female
GFX Staff
Reaction score
his opinion would change if he worked on the top floor.

No it wouldn't. He hates lifts so much that he wouldn't take the job if the building was so large he HAD to take a lift to get to his office.

Also I used to work on the 15th Floor before I screwed my knees up, most of the time I took the stairs, it didn't have annoying lift music!

Stevodoran

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I don't really hate them but I get worried when the door dosnt open straight away. I prefer stairs but if theirs an escalater I prefer to go the wrong way.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I got stuck in a lift for about 45 minutes once and had to get rescued by the fire-brigade. Quite fun in the end.

That's partly where my hatred comes from. Got into a lift on the ground floor, it dropped a foot and sat there. Doors were out of line so wouldn't open.

Ended up with three of us sitting on the floor as the fire brigade opened the doors and a crowd outside gathering to see what was going on....

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
what do you think about them?
They're very...uplifting.
131322430188-Csi_miami_yeah.jpg

But honestly they don't seem that bad, if there are no stairs/escalators around. There are more dangerous things to do than step on a lift.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
That's partly where my hatred comes from. Got into a lift on the ground floor, it dropped a foot and sat there. Doors were out of line so wouldn't open.

Ended up with three of us sitting on the floor as the fire brigade opened the doors and a crowd outside gathering to see what was going on....

I got stuck in one for 3 hours, and im somewhat fine(minor claustrophobia)

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
my apartment is on the nineth floor.... my job, coincidentally, is on the 9th floor as well...

i HAVE to like elevators, otherwise, i'm doomed :lol:

the one at my job is semi-panoramic too... it's not one of those hanging-off-the-side bubble cabins, but the back wall is a window, and the shaft has that side panelled with glass, so you can see out....

no fear of heights for me - it's falling from them that scares me :rolleyes:

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, a bunch of anelkystiraphobes and no mistake! Wonder how you get to your virtual seats in your virtual spacecraft before launch...

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Elevators, lifts, whatever you call them be very, VERY careful. They might be dumb beasts and limited in movement but mark my words, they're powerful beasts. You go against one, you need all the cunning and firepower you can get.

Your average elevator/lift gets you in a variety of ways: traps you inside and starves you to death (they like to do that a lot in summer days when there's no one around and usually the well blocks out your phone), they crush you with their doors (those with automatics), they open when the cabin is not in position, or they crush you with the cabin or counterweight. If there are enough people in the cabin and the machine has just "woken up" (I don't like the term "gone live"), it will crush its own cabin out of sheer hatred for the fleshlings inside. Yes, I know, there are failsafe mechanism but guess what, they're still part of it so guess what happens.

Now I know what the manual says, you should go for the engine and electronics and take them out. Smart. Very smart. Usually the same place where the engine and electronics are placed will hold some other machinery and if the lift has gone live, they've done it too. Have fun facing off one or more washing machines. That's one real knife fight.

The safest way to take one out is to get two or three floors up from ground, blast the doors open and destroy the cables: you take out its ability to use the cabin and the counterweight, and you've hurt it a lot. Mind you, it can still attack you with the severed cables so watch your six. After that, fire upwards and hit its engine. Forget the controls, it can't do anything once the engine is out. You'll have to use explosive and maybe a rocket launcher or two.

Now, if it's one of those darn buildings with more than one elevator side by side, well, then it's OK to be scared.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Seriously, Russian industrial safety agency is considering abandoning control over lifts...