Your thoughts, please.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
When you look up at the night sky, what do you feel? Is it just the same sky you have seen all your life or does it represent something else?
I think about the great distances those tiny specs of light have traveled and how that light has been moving for billions of years. It makes me happy that I can even understand enough to understand that I know nothing.

It really just blows my mind that I'm glimpsing billions of years into the past and that whatever else is out there might see a spec of light in a few billion years that represents my place in space and time.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Mostly I wonder what it looks like from the other side. :cheers:

On the other side of the sky, it all looks so easy.

That may be, but no matter how awesome the sky looks from below,
looking down at the sky from above adds a whole new level of awesomenesslyness.
:hailprobe:

Pablo49

Reaction score
I think about the great distances those tiny specs of light have traveled and how that light has been moving for billions of years. It makes me happy that I can even understand enough to understand that I know nothing.

It really just blows my mind that I'm glimpsing billions of years into the past and that whatever else is out there might see a spec of light in a few billion years that represents my place in space and time.
This.

It is not something that always comes to mind, but when it does, it's intensely powerful.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I just wonder if there are others in the Universe doing the same and wondering what they are like. I think of the future and what manned travel will be like. I mean, there are so many thoughts it is overwhelming.

DeadlyCZ

Reaction score
If I look from my window, I see only moon, so pretty much nothing.
But when I go just outside the city, it's pretty amazing. I usually stare at stars for quite a long time, I always think like 10 seconds elapsed and then I look down to my watches and see that 10 minutes went by. I am also an amateur astrophotograph, so this "staring" helps me to get through the exposure time :)

OrbitalConfusion

Reaction score
I pulled out the telescope lastnight to try and cop a view or two and could only see jupiter. Dont get me wrong, jupiter is my favorite planet, but light pollution and the fact that my telescope constitutes "department store" grade makes for tough viewing. Although, I have an actual fund I have been putting money into to purchase a better telescope.

The night sky makes me think. In a peaceful way, I sometimes think about death and my atoms going back into the universe. What death will be like... I give thanks to the stars who forged my atoms making my life possible. I think about past astronomers like Hubble. I am humble, and proud to know that I know nothing outside of what little man has learned. I am 34, and the chances of me setting the world on fire by making a discovery is or has already come to a close. Acceptance, that I ignored space and pushed it out of my mind for so long only to return in this capacity.

Learning math has been my biggest joy... It truly did open the cosmos to me in a special way by giving me understanding. Im just getting tired of documentaries, books, lectures and everything else.. Dont get my wrong, I LOVE all of that.. but.. I have an Itch to DO something... anything... I just dont know what. Its my million dollar question right now. I would love to make some contribution to science, give back, just something positive...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
How far away is Yosemite? It's be worth a drive out to "the country". A clear night sky to me is better than therapy. "Can't be bothered" to make a special trip out there maybe, but if you happen to be out there anyway, look up.

Better idea: make a run up I-80 to Donner Summit. LOTS of good viewing spots up there.
THere's also the Folsom Lake College astronomy facility at their El Dorado campus extension off of US 50. They've got a pair of computer controlled 16-inch telescopes, and on a cool night, you can pick out Andromeda with your bare eyes.. That's right, the next galaxy over, seen naked eye. I still get shivers thinking about that night up there.

Swigert

0% Sugar Free
Reaction score
I lose all feeling to my muscles just staring into the stars above. I feel as if I am in zero-g, and I forget all about gravity; I forget that I am unfortunately grounded on Earth, and I am not on a trans-lunar injection and just slowly drifting to the moon, you know? When I stare into the night sky, my mind.status = "blown"

When you're on Earth, you look up to the moon and wish you were there...When you're up there you're amazed by it's magnified beauty...But then you spot Earth in the difference, you can cover it up with your thumb...All your problems will be behind your thumb, as Jim Lovell explained in 1995. But then I'd suspect that you'd begin to get strong feelings of sorrow and begin to miss the birds and grass that you can't find in a spacecraft.

At times, I wish I could just take a week-long ride to the stars above...I'd just absorb the beauty of them all, so I wouldn't forget...

Last edited:

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
"In the name of God, stop a moment, cease your work, look around you."

-Tolstoy

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Alas, some feel themselves too busy (or too important) to bother.