Request Artemis landers

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. So far it is working. So now I need to figure out how to stop the main engine from always firing. Also a weird thing. using the / key can't switch rcs rot/trans. But can from the hud?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Very good, that the basic functions seem to work now.

On the keys: I think, you may accidently intercept some (all?) keystrokes in clbkConsumeBufferedKey().
Also I could not activate the MFDs. Maybe first use the glass cockpit only. If that works, then activate the functions of the virtual cockpit.

And, I wish you a Happy New Year 2024! ;)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. So now one things. Trying to get the main to fire for a bit and cut off. If I set main thrust to fire when separate. It continues to fire even though I don't want it to.Still get that moon bounce issue

Confused. For the main lander vessel is this correct. forward is along the Y axis and up/down is along the Z axis? But the ascent forward is along the Z and up/down along the Y

Attachments

• landerdirection.jpg
    landerdirection.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So on the main vessel it is a hover vessel aka lander. Which axis is forward and up/down

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
The lander is a hover vessel:
+y = forward;
+ z = upward;

If you like, you could skip transformation for now, and keep the ascent vessel also as a forward looking vessel.
The ascent is anyhow mainly controlled by instruments (Orbit MFD and AlignOrbit MFD), looking out of the window is not essential.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. The ascent vessel is good. But trying to figure out the RCS for the main vessel hover vessel. So when you want to move forward you along the y axis (0,1,0), right?
and to move up (0,0,1), right?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sure. I just need to get the rcs for the main vessel. The ascent is 90 degrees offset of the main. So in the ascent vessel separated. When you press the rcs to go forward it follows the Z axis. But if sitting in the main vessel (ascent and descent) when you press rcs to go forward you follow the Y axis, right

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Yes thats right. I make two different sets of thrusters for the descent and ascent stage.
For the descent stage (hover vessel), the main force points up into +Y, and the RCS thrusters are grouped accordingly.
Up is (0, 1, 0).

For the ascent stage (tailsitter) the main thruster points upward, now to +Z, and has a new set of RCS thrusters.
Up is (0, 0, 1).

Orbiter uses a left-handed coordinate system, I type with the right hand and use my left hand to visualize the vessels' main axes.

1704209088465.png

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thought.

Now I might need to set a timer to start when separeated and fire main thruster and then cut off after a time. Then as needed fire it. Right now it is all or nothing.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
When you start the engine at the end of the transformation event, it will fire and you can kill it later with the 'engine out' key.
It will not re-fire automatically.

void LML::blowDesc() { .... strcpy(name, GetName()); strcat(name, "-DS"); oapiCreateVessel(name, "LMLander/LMDesc", vs); SetConfig4_asc(); SetThrusterGroupLevel(THGROUP_MAIN, 1); // ActivateNavmode (NAVMODE_KILLROT); }

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Which key is "engine Out" I pressed "-" and it stopped but then restarted

"*" is engine kill

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks.
So now got an issue. It seems to be related to the thrusters.
I added the aux thrusters for the ascent thrusters.

THRUSTER_HANDLE th_descent[10], th_rcs[70], th_group[60], th_aux[8];

Now when I apply hover it CTD.
void LML::SetThrusters1_Orbit() { ClearThrusterDefinitions(); ClearPropellantResources(); //descent stage // Define propellant resources ph_RM = CreatePropellantResource(LEM_DescentFUEL); // Descent stage propellant tank SURFHANDLE tex_main = oapiRegisterExhaustTexture("Exhaust2"); // Define Thrusters: Main Engines SetDefaultPropellantResource(ph_RM);// Set descent tanks as default propellant resource th_descent[0] = CreateThruster(_V(1.2, -10, 1.2), _V(0, 1, 0), LEM_DescentTHRUST / 4, ph_RM, LEM_DescentISP); // Orbiral stage engine SetThrusterResource(th_descent[0], ph_RM); // Enable descent engine th_descent[1] = CreateThruster(_V(-1.2, -10, 1.2), _V(0, 1, 0), LEM_DescentTHRUST / 4, ph_RM, LEM_DescentISP); // Orbiral stage engine SetThrusterResource(th_descent[1], ph_RM); // Enable descent engine th_descent[2] = CreateThruster(_V(1.2, -10, -1.2), _V(0, 1, 0), LEM_DescentTHRUST / 4, ph_RM, LEM_DescentISP); // Orbiral stage engine SetThrusterResource(th_descent[2], ph_RM); // Enable descent engine th_descent[3] = CreateThruster(_V(-1.2, -10, -1.2), _V(0, 1, 0), LEM_DescentTHRUST / 4, ph_RM, LEM_DescentISP); // Orbiral stage engine SetThrusterResource(th_descent[3], ph_RM); // Enable descent engine // th_descent[4] = CreateThruster(_V(0, -2.8, 0), _V(0, 1, 0), LEM_visTHRUST, ph_hover, LEM_visISP); // vishover // SetThrusterResource(th_descent[4], ph_hover); th_group[0] = th_descent[0]; th_group[1] = th_descent[1]; th_group[2] = th_descent[2]; th_group[3] = th_descent[3]; //th_group[4] = th_descent[4]; CreateThrusterGroup(th_group, 4, THGROUP_HOVER); // Render thruster exhaust // for (int i = 0; i < 4; i++) AddExhaust(th_descent[i], 4.0, 0.8, 1.0, tex_main); // Descent engine exhaust [length, width, offset] AddExhaust(th_descent[0], 4.0, 0.8, 1.0, tex_main); // Descent engine exhaust [length, width, offset] AddExhaust(th_descent[1], 4.0, 0.8, 1.0, tex_main); AddExhaust(th_descent[2], 4.0, 0.8, 1.0, tex_main); AddExhaust(th_descent[3], 4.0, 0.8, 1.0, tex_main);

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is a test version. Still lots to do. I think the thrust, ISP, fuel may need to be adjusted. CTRL J separated the modules. G animates the Gear.

Attachments

• LMLANDERDESCENT1.jpg
    LMLANDERDESCENT1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 4
  • LMLANDERTEST.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Nice one!
Two observations:

The scenario LMLANDERDOCK is dependent on another addon, Artemis2.
Could you provide a download-link for that, or make the lander just free-flying, without any other addon?

The descent stage needs much more fuel. I made a Lunar orbit scenario, but it ran out of fuel quickly.
Could you maybe publish the figures of dry mass and wet mass, both for the descent and ascent stages?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is the Artemis2:

I think the original design was a single stage?

Attachments

• LM-Crewed-Lunar-Lander-from-Gateway-IAC-2018-Rev1.pdf
    693.8 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Yes, the Lockheed concept was a single-stage lander. It was derived from the Mars lander concept MADV, subtracting all the aerodynamics.
It used LH2 as fuel in the voluptuous main tank.

For the masses, you could try theses figures:
Ascent stage
Dry 12 ton
Fuel 7 ton @ 3800 m/s ISP (storable propellant)

Descent stage
Dry 26 ton + 19 ton from above = 45 ton
Fuel 23 ton @ 4500 m/s (LH2 + LOX)
The mass ratios give a dV of 1.7 to1.8 km/s, which is the minimum to and from Low Lunar orbit to the surface.

Thrust = 4 x RL-10 @ 110 kN = 440 kN
This gives a full-tank acceleration of a = F/m = 6.4 m/s²