Making the solar system smaller

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
I am thinking about making the solar system smaller in a way to speed up time in between Interplanetary transfers. I would half everything. In the distance. The moon would be closer so it can work properly with moon transfers(Just don't use Apollo) Just a idea. I would implement it myself. but i am wondering how.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I want to ask why or not... Time accel. under IMFD works fine; plus you can also advance the days/months/years with the the scenario editor (both forward and backward).
Unless you just want to do it as an exercise in .cfg manipulation.

The moon would be closer so it can work properly with moon transfers(Just don't use Apollo)

Don't moon transfers work properly as-is?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I want to ask why or not... Time accel. under IMFD works fine; plus you can also advance the days/months/years with the the scenario editor (both forward and backward).
Unless you just want to do it as an exercise in .cfg manipulation.

Don't moon transfers work properly as-is?

He wants to circumvent the time-acceleration dilemma in multiplayer systems. IMHO, this is the wrong approach...

If you want to speed up travel times without speeding up the time itself, you can do it with FTL drives and/or scenario editor just as unrealistic as with scaled-down solar system configurations. Not much difference...

regards,
Face

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you want to speed up travel times without speeding up the time itself, you can do it with FTL drives and/or scenario editor just as unrealistic as with scaled-down solar system configurations. Not much difference...

Let's admit it folks, an FTL drive is far more plausible than a half scale solar system. :rolleyes:

Then again, considering how existing FTL addons work, maybe not.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I once created something like this, just everything was 1000000 times smaller and also 1000000 times closer. The mass was also much smaller, so the gravity was the same. Unfortunately I only had time (before I got bored >.>) for the Sun, Earth and the Moon. Though flying through the system like that is really fun, especially when orbiting Earth at a close distance.

I would give it away in case anyone wants it, but I lost it when I had to reinstall Orbiter and I forgot about it...

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Yea. But it would change things... You can fly to other planets for fun!

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yea. But it would change things... You can fly to other planets for fun!

I can do that with Orbiter already. No need to fake a Gulliver world...

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I've already flown to the outer planets for fun. A half scale solar system still means a journey time of 3 months to Mars, 6 months to jupiter, 7 years to Pluto.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ahem... that is with current propulsion technology. :p

Reducing travel times was the reason for HVIPS, and we all know how that turned out. :rolleyes:

Perhaps not surprisingly, when I simulated a HVIPS flightplan with a "dummy" vehicle, I was going so fast I felt rather uneasy... this was uncharted territory, "Ludicrous Speed", if you will.

Acceleration also took hours, even at 1 G...