Problem Terrain glitches after launch from Brighton Beach

EarthMoon

The Earth and the Moon
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He, His, Him or You, Your, Yours
Whenever I try to launch from Brighton Beach in whatever vessel, I get weird graphics glitches a few (simulation!) minutes after launch. Restarting the scenario fixes it, landing again at Brighton Beach works - but when I launch again (or a different vessel), the same story happens again. I am using Orbiter 2016 with the latest D3D9Client and the hi-res packs on Windows 11. The Orbiter.log tells about lots of "Index Buffer" and "Vertex Buffer" related errors. I already have this problem for a while, but didn't really care about it as I don't often launch from the moon.

Detailled Steps of what happens:

1. I choose a scenario, switch the focus to any vessel and place it at Brighton Beach (with scenario editor; if it isn't already there)
2. I launch normally, I usually start horizontal accelaration a few kilometers above the surface (because there is no atmosphere)
3. I accelerate (until orbit speed, if it reaches that speed quickly enough)
4. The simulation suddenly starts lagging heavily a few simulation minutes after launch
5. I see weird "broken" squares of terrain below my ship
6. Simulation crashes to desktop, leaving behind an Orbiter.log file blown up by lots of "Index Buffer" and "Vertex Buffer" errors
(7. Restarting Orbiter, everything works fine again - until next launch from Brighton Beach)

What I am using:

• Orbiter 2016 (official release, no dev builds from Github etc.)
  • D3D9Client (latest official release)
  • Hi-res packs
  • OS: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22631) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
  • CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-9100 CPU @ 3.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
  • Graphics card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • VRAM: ~7.2 GB
  • VCRuntimes: all installed
  • DirectX Runtimes June 2010 (required for D3D9): Installed
  • DirectX: DirectX 12
D3D9 Advanced Options:

moon-error_d3d9options.png

Launching Starship from the moon (black lines are visible on the moon's surface):
moon-error_starship.png

Video (Delta Gilder): https://files.fm/u/jk8fdsmag4#/view/cjca5pzjvk (files.fm is a video sharing website; simulation crashed a few seconds after video end)

EDIT:

I just did a re-entry on Mars and the same issue as above happened.

Screenshot (137877).png
(The anormal rotation of the Starship is because I was trying to steer towards the Olympus base)

Attached:
Orbiter.log (after the video of the moon launch glitch):
Orbiter-Mars.log (after Mars post-reentry glitches)

Attachments

• Orbiter.log
    478.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Orbiter-Mars.log
    174.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
I'm no expert. but d3d9 is not happy, the error repeatedly mentions "tile manager", do you have this installed/activated?
Also your terrain resolution is maxed out?

EarthMoon

The Earth and the Moon
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He, His, Him or You, Your, Yours
I don't have "Tile Manager" installed (I don't even know what it is, possibly it's a part of D3D9 because normally everything works fine on Earth; the D3D9 docs don't tell anything about "(install) Tile Manager"). And yes, my terrain resolution, the .tree files and Orbiter/D3D9 settings are up to lvl 19 (maximum level).

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Set your mesh resolution back to 32. And see if that fixes it.

I don't know if I can confidently say what the problem is, just by looking at a screenshot. (and we can't really debug Orbiter 2016) but it looks like you might be running out of memory for terrain.