Meshing Question Missing Bottom of Mesh

Trekkie

Starfleet Head of Ship Design
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

i have a Question about meshing, i am using blender and i try to render and Back cull this mesh of a Constitution Class and in blender it looks fine, no errors and back culling shows no reversed Normals
6OmCThk.png

however when loaded in orbiter the lower side of the Saucer dissapears and i cant figure out what is happening here..

jAnNrwk.jpg

anybody have any suggestions?

thanks!:cheers:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I'd bet the normals are pointing inside... try exiting blender and reload the mesh.

Also, make sure you select all the groups (key A) before saving, as it only saves what is selected. :shrug:

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
When im Flipping the Normals the problem still exists to return, could this be an material problem or something in orbiter itself?

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Slightly off-topic, but do you know which addon generates that yellow warning text in the screenshot?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
When im Flipping the Normals the problem still exists to return, could this be an material problem or something in orbiter itself?

I guess if you have a transparent material and no texture, the group will not show up.
Could you post (or PM) the group in question, or the whole mesh?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Some things to check:

- Handiness of the winding of triangles. Should be counter-clockwise. Wrong handiness could be a result from a mesh mirroring. I have no idea how to fix that in Blender.

- Vertex count. Maximum is 65536 vertices per a mesh group.

Flipped normals shouldn't cause problems like that. More like a lighting related problems and anomalies.

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Slightly off-topic, but do you know which addon generates that yellow warning text in the screenshot?

You mean before opening the screenshots?

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42 PM ----------

I guess if you have a transparent material and no texture, the group will not show up.
Could you post (or PM) the group in question, or the whole mesh?

I guess that could be it let me try to add a texture, because its just blank now

---------- Post added at 08:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Some things to check:

- Handiness of the winding of triangles. Should be counter-clockwise. Wrong handiness could be a result from a mesh mirroring. I have no idea how to fix that in Blender.

- Vertex count. Maximum is 65536 vertices per a mesh group.

Flipped normals shouldn't cause problems like that. More like a lighting related problems and anomalies.

I guess blender is not really the tool that is used alot around here and its kind of a tricky program which gives you errors for just the slightest problem

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I guess blender is not really the tool that is used alot around here and its kind of a tricky program which gives you errors for just the slightest problem

Yes, blender might not be a simple tool to use, but I've played with it and, for a beginner in the 3D modeling like me, I can say it does the job.

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, blender might not be a simple tool to use, but I've played with it and, for a beginner in the 3D modeling like me, I can say it does the job.

I have tried 3ds max but that only makes things 4 times more complicated

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I have tried 3ds max but that only makes things 4 times more complicated

I use blender only for the "3D part" and UV mapping, and then I open the mesh file in a text editor and manually edit the texture paths, materials and group IDs... not the best of flows but it gets things done. :shrug:

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I use blender only for the "3D part" and UV mapping, and then I open the mesh file in a text editor and manually edit the texture paths, materials and group IDs... not the best of flows but it gets things done. :shrug:

alright i have tried exporting with textures, still no luck.. the weird thing is that it is showing some part of the mesh just a couple of strings, the material Composition does not contain Transparacy... i have also tried new uv maps.. also no luck.. im starting to think orbiter just doesnt like my model :lol:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
alright i have tried exporting with textures, still no luck.. the weird thing is that it is showing some part of the mesh just a couple of strings, the material Composition does not contain Transparacy... i have also tried new uv maps.. also no luck.. im starting to think orbiter just doesnt like my model :lol:

PM me the mesh.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Meshes can only be one sided in Orbiter. Change all groups to one sided.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
you got it

The group jobottom01 is the group with the issue, and it has exactly 69292 triangles... I haven't checked the manual, but jarmonik says the limit is 65k... there's your problem. :uhh:

Select some triangles (maybe the outer band or the center portion) and separate them into another group (choose select faces, select what you want, hit the P key to open the separate menu and P again to choose selection).

hutchison66

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi I've had this problem its a .dds problem some forms of the dds format don't work with orbiter I had it on a Destiny module I had to correct it load the texture into Paint.net paint package then resave it don't change anything just over write the texture same name the mesh will appear

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The group jobottom01 is the group with the issue, and it has exactly 69292 triangles... I haven't checked the manual, but jarmonik says the limit is 65k... there's your problem. :uhh:

Select some triangles (maybe the outer band or the center portion) and separate them into another group (choose select faces, select what you want, hit the P key to open the separate menu and P again to choose selection).

aah i see i will try to split them, if that would be the case then i have found the problem for multiple meshes.. i will try it when i get home!

---------- Post added at 05:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:59 AM ----------

Hi I've had this problem its a .dds problem some forms of the dds format don't work with orbiter I had it on a Destiny module I had to correct it load the texture into Paint.net paint package then resave it don't change anything just over write the texture same name the mesh will appear

that is weird.. i never had that problem.. i always use the .dds DX1 format

Trekkie

Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

i got it to work! thank you so much! it indeed were to many Triangles!:cheers::hailprobe: