School Project

Warthaug

Reaction score
Website
imaginggeek.blogspot.com
We have been doing some thinking and thought it might be interesting to find an old/untried/theoretical rocket design and see how it would perform. We will make calculations/simulations and compare these to the actual flight data (we will cram the rocket with instruments such as an altimeter, accelerometer, ASI etc). We will have to use a motor with equivalent thrust/Isp (scaled down of course) to the fuel the rocket would have used. We have looked on the internet but despite how easy I thought it might be we can't find any old designs. Any ideas?

Thanks (again),
Will

An orion, although I'd avoid the nukes...

Bryan

Last edited:

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, it could work. Orion was demonstrated with small conventional charges. If you can put your hands on some charges (serious firecrackers could do) all you need is a way to ignite and drop them from the vessel.

Warthaug

Reaction score
Website
imaginggeek.blogspot.com
I'm thinking that its probably a no-go for a school project - I'm surprised that making a motor is allowed (the OP checked, I hope). I've built rocket motors in the past, and have thought a few times about an orion-esk project, but the mechanics are far beyond my abilities. A 1-off blast is doable; a chain becomes quite the engineering feat.

It would be very cool is someone did pull it off...

Bryan

Will

Reaction score
Since this is my first ever crack at anything like this I have decided to do something a bit simpler and 'only' try for a 3 stage Saturn V for the project and perhaps move onto more challenging stuff later.
How many motors should I have in each stage? Should I go for the true to life 5-5-1 or something more practical?
With the above question in mind, what type of motor for each stage should I use? It will probably wind up about 1:72 scale (about 5 feet) tall and the ceiling on the launch site is 10,000ft.
What should the main body be made of? The going materials seem to be balsa or paper. I have access to some tools so it is not completely impractical to build it all myself.
I wold quite like to have a LET jettison, perhaps taking the CSM with it but can't think of a way to do this without setting the CSM on fire.
Is staging done in a similar manner to the chute deployment on single stage rockets? i.e. the motor pushes backwards briefly and pushes the chute (or in this case upper stage) away.

I will be crediting this site in the bibliography!

Thanks,
Will

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That is too complex for your resources... remember, that you are diving deep into the realm of engineering or missing hands there. By what you post here, I am pretty sure, you are not really adapt in engineering and have a engineering student team ready.

Everything past 2 stages is far out of you, including booster stages.

The old R-7 rocket that launched sputnik could for example work as model, adding another stage would make you quickly hate it.

Last edited: