Internet Scriptkiddies killed Encyclopedia Astronautica

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Don't know how the author(s) of the attack could possibly justify themselves...personally I only went on astronautix two or three times, but even so it was possible to appreciate what a great repository of information the website was. Really hope it will be put up again in the future.

FADEC

Reaction score
5-10 years for being one of dozens, hundreds, or thousands of computers spewing traffic at a server and, gasp, taking it down for a few hours?

Are you completely and totally insane?

I don't think so. In Germany one already can get either 3 years of prison sentence or penalty charge for something like this. And with good reason. Because it is not a peccadillo. It is a serious threat not only for private sites. I bet a lot of those people would even be willing to do more, in the real world as well (radical left-wing and other subcultures).

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, if the intent is really to ask for money under threat, it's racket, and then punishable by a jail sentence.

Is there anyway we could send a collective petition to Mark Wade to support him and encourage him to pursue his great endeavor ?

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anonymous and all the other script kiddie groups are just full of 12 year old social rejects who are teased at school and think that their online activities make them "cool".

I doubt Anonymous was behind this... not exactly their MO.

(radical left-wing and other subcultures).

Yea, that explains everything.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
In the words of my father: cruel and unusual punishment should be reserved for hackers and those who write computer viruses.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Making example out of kids that probably don't tell reality and games apart and think everything in a computer is a game?
What good could it possibly do?
They won't even notice, but everyone else would suffer.

DDoS attacks by kids can't really sustain themselves for long anyway.
It's better to accept it as imminent reality and adapt the technology - how many people proposed hanging spammers by their testicles, but in the end we got spam filters and a balanced situation.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's better to accept it as imminent reality and adapt the technology - how many people proposed hanging spammers by their testicles, but in the end we got spam filters and a balanced situation.

Doesn't mean that we are not supporting such punishments for spammers. Punish those few that you get as hard as you can... :lol:

I would suggest starting by forcing them to read every send Spam mail aloud.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Regarding the current status of the website:

Welcome back, Astronautix, and we hope you're here to stay :cheers:!