Space Engine – Free Universe Simulator

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I just saw that Universe Sandbox is on Steam. Very impressive :)
EDIT: gah! Wrong thread! Sorry..not sure how I managed that

Last edited:

NOMAD

Reaction score
Can we combine it with orbiter? That 's so fantastic!
Such as use its graphic engine and add more stars to orbiter.I think that will be very interesting!

Redezem

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if you could find any given world a second time (minus the first one, I think that cratered rock is something everyone starts on). I'm pretty sure RS stands for "Random Seed" and the number next to it is the seed set used to generate it. The thing is, anything we can actually see (and have catalogued) doesn't have an RS. I would very much like it if I could save randomly generated worlds to some kind of bookmarking system... but no dice. If anyone happens to find more than one terran planet with life every 42 hours of non stop searching, let me know, because you just won the game (it is reaaaally hard to find those things). :thumbup:

Venus

Reaction score
Hi,

SE works now beautifully. I don't know how many of you
have kept up with it. But it's far greater than Celestia on steroids.

The TODO list includes:

Orbital Mechanics for Solar Systems and Interstellar Travel

Procedural Planets, allowing the ability to land on planets
complete with Topography

Eventually even Procedural Life

SpaceShips - Possibly with Cockpits.
Also possibily an autopilot, or manual control.

Here's the complete To Do List.

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/9-11-1

Hopefully, ppl will really get behind this. I'd love to see
the forum take off, as it'd really encourage him to do all
he wants to do.

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Just joined the SE forum... I have a theory on why the forum isn't taking off...

To post a single thread, from registration to finish, I had to go through no less than 4 different, and increasingly difficult to read captchas :p

There's even captcha for posting the thread... seems like that forum engine is a little paranoid about spammers...

Anyhow, SE looks incredible... I wonder if it has a coding interface?

CHeers

Reaction score
Once I finally got it tweaked so it would run for more than two minutes without crashing:compbash2:, did some jumping around and found a nice little gem: an Earth-like planet with life orbiting a G-type star in the Sagittarius Dwarf with an incredible view! This is a really cool program, I could spend hours in here just hoping around and exploring...

Attachments

• scr00003.jpg
    scr00003.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 60

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
In my opinion if this TODO list http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/9-11-1 is completed me myself will migrate over to it. Why? The eyecandy man! The collision detection. In my opinion orbiter itself, the development (no I don't mean skins or runways but the core itself) since I have been playing it has stagnated. Yes I know its free. But tell me that as I migrate over to the latest and greatest eyecandy. My opinion is the basic things orbiter should of already had,collision detection,visual enhancements,liquid rendering is long overdue and pastdue in comparison with the age of orbiter itself. I am sure I will get some coments on this. I expect that. But don't hate me because after all these years I am getting tired of the same ol' same ol'. Some, I am sure, would love to see me go.Thats fine. What happens when its 1 then 2 then 10 then 20 people leaving? Obviously I am not alone in my thinking here. Why else would this thread even exist then? I do expect the typical "defend orbiter, defend Orbiter" comments. But really, am I wrong?
http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=329798
http://sguforums.com/index.php?topic=35253.0

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In my opinion if this TODO list http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/9-11-1 is completed me myself will migrate over to it. Why? The eyecandy man! The collision detection. In my opinion orbiter itself, the development (no I don't mean skins or runways but the core itself) since I have been playing it has stagnated. Yes I know its free. But tell me that as I migrate over to the latest and greatest eyecandy. My opinion is the basic things orbiter should of already had,collision detection,visual enhancements,liquid rendering is long overdue and pastdue in comparison with the age of orbiter itself. I am sure I will get some coments on this. I expect that. But don't hate me because after all these years I am getting tired of the same ol' same ol'. Some, I am sure, would love to see me go.Thats fine. What happens when its 1 then 2 then 10 then 20 people leaving? Obviously I am not alone in my thinking here. Why else would this thread even exist then? I do expect the typical "defend orbiter, defend Orbiter" comments. But really, am I wrong?

Wrong with what? Wanting a better, bigger Orbiter? Certainly not... me, too! ;)

But last I checked SE isn't even remotely simulating space-flight physics, and this is the main purpose of Orbiter. IMHO, your first sentence is giving the key to "defend orbiter" posts here: IF the todo list is implemented...
As long as there is no physics engine in SE, you can't really compare the two.

That said, I find nothing wrong in preferring eye-candy Celestia-like space simulations. I don't see why it must be only one of them that one has to prefer, either. Or have to "migrate to", for that matter.

If someone loves to see you go for preferring another simulator - or hates you for wanting more eye-candy - it would be a pretty narrow-minded person. Thus I wouldn't mind this person's opinion too much.

regards,
Face

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
Wrong with what? Wanting a better, bigger Orbiter? Certainly not... me, too! ;)

But last I checked SE isn't even remotely simulating space-flight physics, and this is the main purpose of Orbiter. IMHO, your first sentence is giving the key to "defend orbiter" posts here: IF the todo list is implemented...
As long as there is no physics engine in SE, you can't really compare the two.

That said, I find nothing wrong in preferring eye-candy Celestia-like space simulations. I don't see why it must be only one of them that one has to prefer, either. Or have to "migrate to", for that matter.

If someone loves to see you go for preferring another simulator - or hates you for wanting more eye-candy - it would be a pretty narrow-minded person. Thus I wouldn't mind this person's opinion too much.

regards,
Face
Taken from the TODO list:
Physics (collision detection, Newtonian physics, orbital flight physics, jet propulsion, aerodynamics and hydrodynamics)
Like i said IF this is implemented? I am sorry but orbiter has some competition IF and WHEN this is completed. Just sayin. Have you seen that list? I wonder how much of it is possible. Might need a super computer just to run it :p or It may not get completed in my lifetime lol
I am curious does Orbiter have a TODO list?

Last edited:

HarvesteR

Reaction score
From the TODO list, it seems there are plans to make it into a full game engine... the guy is going on about mesh imports, physics, networking, and all the works...

If it does one day become a true game engine, it will be monstruous, no other engine out there can handle the scales, much less the procedurally drawn surface detail... In fact, most engines will complain about having to draw ONE full size planet.

I wonder how SE does it... I recall an article by Sean O'Neill in which he detailed out a way to draw interplanetary scales, by contracting space as distances approach the floating point precision limit... I wonder...

Well, anyhow, I just had time yesterday to give it a 2 minute run, was utterly stupefied for 2 minutes, and it crashed ;)
I gotta try it again today!

Cheers

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
no other engine out there can handle the scales, much less the procedurally drawn surface detail... In fact, most engines will complain about having to draw ONE full size planet.
Forgive me the lack of modesty, but have you come across Spaceway before?

http://s-way.sourceforge.net

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Forgive me the lack of modesty, but have you come across Spaceway before?

:blink: No I had not.

Oh... if only I had known about these options 7 months ago... would have saved me a world of trouble...

I'm working in Unity. Mainly because it's got a lot of ready-to-use features, and can deploy to many different platforms... But I'm way over my head in the whole planetary generation scheme... I'm working over some kludgy rigs here that I'm really not too proud of...

Unity does not do planets... It's terrain is meant for RTS or FPS type games, so it's strictly XZ aligned (you can't rotate Unity terrain)... that meant I had to go out of my way to get something even resembling a planet in my game...

But the going was rough, and what I managed to achieve is a very complicated setup that, despite working, has very little flexibility...

But now I'm in for it... There's no possible way to change the project to a different engine (indeed, that would be professional suicide here)... So I gotta make do with what I've got...

If only I could get a better, cleaner way to build the planets... and was able to get my head around it while at it ;)

Oh well... back to it :tiphat:

Cheers

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Wow, I have recently heard about this in the ChatBox, it is simply...beautiful!

Apparently rockets are planned in the next version?

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
This has better graphics and universe explorability, but Spaceway fits on a floppy disk!

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I was completly suprised, I have a Windows Vista and I got great FPS!