SSU extension: Liquid (flyback) boosters

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just how would the flyback booster "fly back"?
Under autopilot?
I don't like the idea of flying three craft at once... :blackeye:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That would be awesome, if it could be done.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That would be awesome, if it could be done.

I see only little reasons against making it possible. It does not need complex autopilots.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I see only little reasons against making it possible.

What would these reasons be?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What would these reasons be?

getting the aerodynamics stable enough for allowing a simple autopilot to land the boosters. Would maybe be good to first test such a autopilot on a T-38 chase plane.

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
Would maybe be good to first test such a autopilot on a T-38 chase plane.
It was already tested even for F-16, not the most easy aircraft to fly.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It was already tested even for F-16, not the most easy aircraft to fly.

I hesitate calling the F-16 am difficult aircraft to fly (that would be more likely the F-104), also I mean "doing this in Orbiter." I know that it is possible and was done often enough, the F-18 has even a limited auto-land for carriers. But I have not done it myself.

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
I hesitate calling the F-16 a difficult aircraft to fly (that would be more likely the F-104), also I mean "doing this in Orbiter." I know that it is possible and was done often enough, the F-18 has even a limited auto-land for carriers. But I have not done it myself.
Well, the point is that F-16 was landed fully autonomous, from distant approach to touchdown - while present systems are really semi-automatic. What I mean by "not the most easy" is that it's statically unstable, what is compensated by FLCS. By analogy the boosters don't really need a good aerodynamics - a state-of-the-art FLCS and autopilot (which is already ready to fit on almost any type of aircraft) will do the trick.

Sorry for troll-like comment ;)

In orbiter, anyways, you don't get problems with static unstabilities, stalling, dutch roll and so on, so this feature won't take quarter of Lockheed Martin to implement ;).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In orbiter, anyways, you don't get problems with static unstabilities, stalling, dutch roll and so on, so this feature won't take quarter of Lockheed Martin to implement ;).

You might be surprised, which aerodynamic phenomena I had already seen in Orbiter :rofl: You can even create stuff, which is luckily physically impossible. ;)

Important would be getting a working descend rate hold autopilot and course hold (not even just heading, but staying on a virtual line).

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
You might be surprised, which aerodynamic phenomena I had already seen in Orbiter :rofl: You can even create stuff, which is luckily physically impossible. ;)

Important would be getting a working descend rate hold autopilot and course hold (not even just heading, but staying on a virtual line).
Yeah, and it should feature some kind of adaptive algorhytm to get a fair asymptotic solution for any craft. Interesting task.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, and it should feature some kind of adaptive algorhytm to get a fair asymptotic solution for any craft. Interesting task.

PID-T1 controllers usually. In the best case, you can make them imitate a PD-T1 or PI controller.

And the target rates would be usually calculated by fuzzy logic... or simpler.

DarkWanderer

Orbiter Contributor
Donator
Reaction score
PID-T1 controllers usually. In the best case, you can make them imitate a PD-T1 or PI controller.

And the target rates would be usually calculated by fuzzy logic... or simpler.
Well, what's the problem then? ;)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
how about a gliding water landing ? Empty tanks would float nicely.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Corrosion. Salt water is very corrisive.
Not good for a complex liquid fueled booster...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Corrosion. Salt water is very corrisive.
Not good for a complex liquid fueled booster...

Exactly. Even a manned splash down of a skilled pilot has many risks, unmanned, I would not even think about at 120 KEAS.

Also you have again the recovery costs, which can quickly be more expensive as developing an automatic landing guidance.

Fly-back boosters are R&D heavy, but have clear economic advantages, which justify this.

sputnik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.worldof2001.com
Urwumpe,

I look forward to it!

A question, though: would it not make more sense to make it as a Velcro Rocket, rather than haning another piece of code on SSU? Or is there a reason this won't work. (Is it an area where I should improve Velcro Rockets?).
I love alternate shuttle boosters, for some reason; it's why I've done so many....

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, if the flyback is to have a custom .dll, I would see using velcro as rather redundant.
Maybe it could use a velcro based system to attach to the Shuttle.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A question, though: would it not make more sense to make it as a Velcro Rocket, rather than haning another piece of code on SSU?

Well, for us it makes no sense to make it a Velcro rocket, as we try to reduce the dependences on other add-ons and also integrate the boosters deeper into the shuttle simulation.

Or is there a reason this won't work. (Is it an area where I should improve Velcro Rockets?).
I love alternate shuttle boosters, for some reason; it's why I've done so many....

No reason why this should not work, but we just politically try to avoid this. If we can solve this, there is only little which prevents you from using the boosters and there code as basis for a Velcro version of it, as far as I remember, you use the same open-source license as we do.