SSU extension: Shuttle-C

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is there any interest in implementing a Shuttle-C with some of the SSU features? Could allow us to easily test new features without having to mess with switches.

I still have Donamy's old Shuttle-C mesh+texture, so if there's any interest I could check them in. They could use some brush up though, just to make them look the best.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, I would definatly like a Shuttle-C addon. :speakcool:
I've even tried to make my own, but my mesh skills aren't good enough.

EDIT:
Is there any chance I might be able to get a hold of this mesh? As long as it is okay with Donamy.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is there any interest in implementing a Shuttle-C with some of the SSU features? Could allow us to easily test new features without having to mess with switches.

I still have Donamy's old Shuttle-C mesh+texture, so if there's any interest I could check them in. They could use some brush up though, just to make them look the best.

Which features do you mean?

I think it is no problem adding it based on the SSU code, but I would prefer using precompiler macros and a separate DLL for it.

It makes no sense to load the whole VC madness in a Shuttle C.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Which features do you mean?
I was mostly thinking launch and payload management.

I think it is no problem adding it based on the SSU code, but I would prefer using precompiler macros and a separate DLL for it.
No issues with that.

It makes no sense to load the whole VC madness in a Shuttle C.
Of course not! Where would you stick it? In the nose-cone which is just a hollowed out cone? The entire thing was expendable, main engines included.

Maybe we could also include the OMV? I got a nice forward/aft view if someone wants to mesh it.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
what is the Shuttle C ? I have never heard of it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Maybe we could also include the OMV? I got a nice forward/aft view if someone wants to mesh it.

Sure, why not?! If you allow me to mess painfully with the SSU code structure, we could even base this on the SSU code, reusing the a large set of the subsystem code.

I had rarely a reason to use templates, but this might make sense then.

-----Post Added-----

what is the Shuttle C ? I have never heard of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle-C
http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/shuttle.htm
http://www.astronautix.com/craft/omv.htm

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I have no problem with someone updating the shuttle-C mesh, I just wish we could get the 1.25 released.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have no problem with someone updating the shuttle-C mesh, I just wish we could get the 1.25 released.

Yes, should take place before we add new features. But I see no problems in already planning the features for 1.26 and following.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have no problem with someone updating the shuttle-C mesh

So I can use it?

How do I get hold of it?

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey, somebody is reading my mind! I have just about finished an updated Shuttle-C using version V4.1.5 of the fleet as the core. With the multiple payload attachments I've been hauling three MPLMs to orbit at once as a test. I hope to have the package completed and released in the near future.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Shuttle-C? Where? When? I WANT!!! Yes please! ;-)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
When can I find the Shuttle-C meshes in the SSU repository? I would like to do both the classic twin SSME Shuttle-C and the Block III Shuttle-C.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When can I find the Shuttle-C meshes in the SSU repository? I would like to do both the classic twin SSME Shuttle-C and the Block III Shuttle-C.
Well, the new mesh+textures by Donamy hasn't been checked in. I could do that now.

-----Post Added-----

And that's done.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, the new mesh+textures by Donamy hasn't been checked in. I could do that now.

Well, I have currently no clue, what to fix next in SSU, so I thought about attempting a small "test balloon" for the Shuttle-C. Could be interesting testing it, though we currently lack some important features for it (Mission control center for example)

David413

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just realize that the mesh you checked in (unless you got it from Don himself) is actually mine as I had to add the grapple fixture myself. No problem using it, just wanted you to be aware it's not Don's work entirely.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Just realize that the mesh you checked in (unless you got it from Don himself) is actually mine as I had to add the grapple fixture myself. No problem using it, just wanted you to be aware it's not Don's work entirely.
Well, it was kinda hard to find! Small tiny thing on the forward bulkhead! No way to grapple it with the SSRMS LEE's with an MPLM in front of it!

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
though we currently lack some important features for it (Mission control center for example)
How about this? It's a single console for the current Shuttle FCR. The double consoles are just two single consoles side-by-side.

Attachments

• MCC_single_console.jpg
    MCC_single_console.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 353

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
How about this? It's a single console for the current Shuttle FCR. The double consoles are just two single consoles side-by-side.

Could you turn this into a primitive firing room, maybe with some LOD? I could do a simple DLL for this, so we just need the communication channels then for connecting Shuttle(-C) with it.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's done version. Now going to work on the actual FCR.

Attachments

• MCC_single_console_done.jpg
    MCC_single_console_done.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 356

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could you turn this into a primitive firing room, maybe with some LOD? I could do a simple DLL for this, so we just need the communication channels then for connecting Shuttle(-C) with it.
The LCC Firing Rooms have different consoles(both in design and layout of the actual room).

And each console is very lightweight, just 302 triangles. Since there's 19 consoles in the Shuttle FCR that makes a total of 5738 triangles.

And the actual room won't add many triangles on top of that, a max of 500-700 triangles as the three large displays will be planes, while the MCC and the international space agencies logos will be a texture on a plane.