"UFO" 1970's TV series

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
Anyone here remember this '70s era British series?

I actually remember watching some of this back when I was a little kid. It's about the same time that Thunderbirds series and the like showed itself in the TV.

Anyway, I found this guy's channel has all the episodes(It only lasted 1 season of about 26 episodes.) on YouTube here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/toobeaucoups/videos?sort=dd&view=0&page=4

The episodes are broken up into 4 parts but it's cool. I, at least, never got any commercials in those viewings.

Check out the groovy threads on the hot looking actresses in the TV show. :lol:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I remember the show, fairly sure it was on on ITV(UK commercail channel), so would have had commercial breaks.
Think it was the first "live-action" from Jerry Andersons's company. Saw a documentary on him a while ago, I wouldn't say he was bitter, but he seemed to view Thunderbirds as a bit of a label, stopping him getting 'proper' directing work.

N.

ED_4

Reaction score
I remember the show, fairly sure it was on on ITV(UK commercail channel), so would have had commercial breaks.

N.

I meant the commercial breaks that happens on YouTube. Not all videos in there show up without them nowadays.:rolleyes:

I do dig the nice beat to the intro theme song. That's one of the pluses of the show. :thumbup:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Ah, not much you can do about that I suppose!
If you like bongo's, you might like this...:

N.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I absolutely loved it! It was much more realistic than other SF TV series of that time. Given the fact that films of the Apollo lunar buggy excursions were not too long ago at this time, it showed the moon in a familiar way. Also the rockets were a nice mixture of realsim and imagination.

Looking back it is a classic 70s projection of the future, with fashion, hairstyle, cars, etc. to make me smile. Not to forget the moon base girls with their purple hair and very short silver miniskirts ;)

Ah, and these dialogues! In an airplane cockpit trying to dodge a UFO attack: "These clouds give us as much cover as a G-string on a belly dancer!"

Thanks for the link!

ED_4

Reaction score
I absolutely loved it! It was much more realistic than other SF TV series of that time. Given the fact that films of the Apollo lunar buggy excursions were not too long ago at this time, it showed the moon in a familiar way. Also the rockets were a nice mixture of realsim and imagination.

Looking back it is a classic 70s projection of the future, with fashion, hairstyle, cars, etc. to make me smile. Not to forget the moon base girls with their purple hair and very short silver miniskirts ;)

Thanks for the link!

Although, supposedly in the series, the decade was only in the 80's. :lol:

Ah, and these dialogues! In an airplane cockpit trying to dodge a UFO attack: "These clouds give us as much cover as a G-string on a belly dancer!"

LOL Yeah, just saw that from episode 2, I believe. A quote from Col. Freeman, who seem to act like some sort of Bond character in the series. At least that's how his personality seem in the series.

---------- Post added at 04:45 ---------- Previous post was at 04:39 ----------

Ah, not much you can do about that I suppose!
If you like bongo's, you might like this...:

Stingray TV Show Intro (1964) - YouTube

N.

Looks like that was also one of the shows from the same that produced the UFO series, Gerry Anderson. Seems appropriate they'd almost have the same that made the music.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
haven't heard much of it, but given that I loooove old school sci-fi I'll certainly watch it. Thanks for the link (let's see how long they remain on youtube... :shifty: )

ED_4

Reaction score
haven't heard much of it, but given that I loooove old school sci-fi I'll certainly watch it. Thanks for the link (let's see how long they remain on youtube... :shifty: )

Better watch all of it in marathon then. Cause it's been sitting there for a good nine months so far. :crystalball2: Oh, and you're welcome!

Last edited:

ED_4

Reaction score
I just recently noticed that Orbiter has a great number of addons that feature the ships. And I think also at the Hangar is the S.H.A.D.O. (Supreme Headquarters Alien Defence Organization) moon base.:thumbup:

Thanks to Andy McSorley for the moon base on that one and Kev also made an older variant. Kev Shanow made a few of the ships too and Gattispilot had made the SHADO mobile vehicles. A UFO was put in by Chris Johnston.
I think the only vehicle that I see missing now is the Sky1 with its accompanying mother sub.

With all those addons in there, one can make a pseudo UFO(with Orbiter) video episode. :lol:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was going to start a thread on this but of course this one is here already...

I vaguely remember seeing some of this show with my dad when I was little; I particularly recall the girls on the moonbase with purple hair.

I just recently started getting into this show on youtube, I'm up to episode 6 now. It's got a huge corny factor, but it's interesting how much of it was well thought out. The episode I just watched focused on space junk creating a navigation hazard and interfering with SHADO's efforts to defend against alien attacks. I didn't know anyone in 1969 even thought of the idea of space junk as a problem.

As for the "future", it's supposed to be 1980! Gotta love that swoopy-looking car that Straker drives around.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
You just gotta love the fact that everyone smokes, even aboard space vehicles and in space stations, even the fittest ones. Ah, the 60s...

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I've gotten through episode 9 and have to say I'm hooked completely.

There's just enough "good" science to let me forgive the bad, and the characters actually have personality and depth. The episode where Straker's son gets hit by a car was very heavy stuff for broadcast TV even today.

And in one episode, SHADO is trying to intercept a UFO that is attempting to escape from Earth with a captured human aboard, but the woman in charge of Moonbase, Lt. Ellis, states that there is no chance of an intercept because the alien vehicle is departing on an anti-lunar trajectory. Wow, somebody actually thought of that!

(Of course my next question would be: Why don't all the UFOs approach earth from that direction? But like I said, the good allows forgiveness of the bad...)

And speaking of Lt. Ellis, I have to say that Gabrielle Drake, the actress who portrays her, is among the most classically beautiful women I've seen on a screen. I don't think it's just my sci-fi nerdiness saying that (although it certainly is joining in with the rest of me). The scenes where she is out of uniform and not wearing the purple wig she is amazing.

Simingto_15

Reaction score
Well, I am reading about this for the first time and I believe that such shows are very interesting. I can start watching it once I finish watching shows by Andy Yeatman on Netflix. It all started when I was at my sister’s place and her kids were watching these shows. Oh, I fell in love with the content.

llarian

Reaction score
Unfortunately that link no longer has the videos. Anyone have a new link?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Unfortunately that link no longer has the videos. Anyone have a new link?

I found this playlist on YouTube that has the UFO series:

Re: Space 1999, I loved that series growing up! The first season is definitely better than the second season, though, having watched them again as an adult. :lol:

llarian

Reaction score
dbeachy1 you are right about the better of the years of Space 1999. I loved that series. Notebook, your link is not just UK. I can access it from Canada. Unfortunately, Canada is about to play Finland in the World Junior Hockey Championships. You know how it is for Canadians ... religious devotions.

:lol: