Question Why are some mods nonpublic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajc1081

Reaction score
I am trying to download some mods (UCGO 3.0 (Universal Cars and Cargo) and Universal MMU 2.5) but it says I need an approved post before I can download some mods. What is an approved post?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I am trying to download some mods (UCGO 3.0 (Universal Cars and Cargo) and Universal MMU 2.5) but it says I need an approved post before I can download some mods. What is an approved post?

We've had some issues with spammers scraping mods with scripts. When users upload an addon, it is their choice how they want to allow it to be distributed. So this added step adds some security against spammers "downloading the whole site".

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It was basically due to this site here: https://orbiter-mods.com/
They made a scripting system to automatically download and install add-ons from O-F to give people an easier installation experience. Unfortunately, the author of that site got into a fight with the O-F staff about legal issues, so the staff decided to add some hurdles for download in order to block such efforts. I'm not sure how good those measures worked out in the end, but it is what it is.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It is up to each individual add-on author via their license as to whether to permit re-hosting of their work on other sites, which the above site intentionally disregards. In addition, it is each individual add-on author who decides whether or not to make their add-ons private. More information is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.