1:72 Scale Saturn V

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Dragon 1:72 Saturn V. Has anyone else bought this model? If so what do you think? Mine showed up today and it's glorious! LOL. Despite some minor rough spots in the black paint patterns and a few inaccuracies I'm still glad I bought one. The paint issues are easily fixed with an airbrush come spring. Rumor has it that a kit version is in the works as well. I have a completed Airfix 1/144 with the RealSpaceModels resin mod, finished that years ago. Also bought the Revell 1/96 back during the 25th Anniversary of Apollo 11 but never built it. At this scale adding more paint masking details should be easier, as well as scratchbuilding further detail.

Over at CollectSpace they got a good thread going with pics...
http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000735-4.html

I'll post some pics when I get around to applying the mods.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
That 1/72 Mercury/Redstone looks nice...:yes:

Mantis

Reaction score
I picked this up last weekend. Looks great next to my Monogram 1/72 scale Atlantis with booster rockets and my old Revell 1/72 scale Discovery (with deployed lnding gear). I have a sizeable collection of their 1/400 models including all of the shuttles in various configurations, Saturn 1Bs, Saturn Vs and some unmanned launchers such as the Delta II.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Who do you go through for those models, Mantis?

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Mantis, I'm no Saturn V expert, but I'm surprised nobody has pointed out how the fairings for the outboard F-1's are slightly mishaped? Too rounded and not to a point or triangular and too close together at the base, right? It's still very impressive though, I just wish they would have got that one right as that would be kind of a bear to fix. I plan to use the Apollo 11 LEM/CSM from their "lunar approach" model with their Apollo 10 SLA mod that people have done over at CollectSpace. Also I want to repaint the entire roll patterns flat black and correct the fins and APS. Are you going to modify yours?

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Who do you go through for those models, Mantis?

I buy most of them from a local hobby shop (http://www.northstarhobbies.com/) and I have also purchased a fair number from eBay vendors.

---------- Post added at 09:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 PM ----------

Mantis, I'm no Saturn V expert, but I'm surprised nobody has pointed out how the skirts for the outboard F-1's are slightly mishaped? Too rounded and not to a point or triangular and too close together at the base, right? It's still very impressive though, I just wish they would have got that one right as that would be kind of a bear to fix. I plan to use the Apollo 11 LEM/CSM from their "lunar approach" model with their Apollo 10 SLA mod that people have done over at CollectSpace. Also I want to repaint the entire roll patterns flat black and correct the fins and APS. Are you going to modify yours?

There are certainly a few imperfections. The Interstage between the SI and the SII is permenantly attached to the SII. There is no LEM, there is no command module under the LES. There are a few other things too. I am considering purchasing a second Apollo 9 1/72 model (CSM/LES/lunar module adapter) and a second of one of their other models that includes the LEM and "fixing" those to "defects" in the Saturn V. I wanted it primarily due to it's impressive size and the fact that it matched the scale of several other models that I had built over the years.

I'll post some photos of my Dragon space collection over the weekend as well as the other 1/72 models that I have built.

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Just a tip. I finished the Apollo 10 SLA swap with the "lunar approach" LM-5 Eagle tucked away in there. The IU on the Saturn was stubborn, couldn't remove it from the outside. I very gently applied pressure around the SLA to flex it apart from the IU. Once inside it required a table knife (dull side forward) gently prying between and around the inner ring and IU to very carefully lightly flex it apart. The inner plastic ring of the Saturn its attached to was a seemingly softer plastic. Just be patient. I plan to scratchbuild in the inner IU detail since it could be seen through the clear plastic on the new Apollo 10 SLA/IU now installed. Eagle looks great parked in the garage but it rests directly on the stage tank. Shouldn't be too hard to glue some supports for the descent stage leg "knees" to rest on like the real thing. I couldn't find any pics of the real deal. I used the leftover "Snoopy" to redo the LEM/CSM docked model as Apollo 10. I already had the Apollo 8 CSM diecast version and used that as Columbia with the S-band in the stowed position.

Last edited:

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
I just bought the 1/72 Saturn V from Flying Mule. It is available for pre-order for $220 (free shipping) and should be arriving in July sometime, for those are still looking for this model.

I built Dragon's 1/72 Mercury Redstone and have it sitting next to the Apollo 10 LM + CSM for the time being (until I can attach it to the full Saturn V stack). They are the same scale, so it interesting seeing the size difference of the two rockets.

jkatsz.jpg

BTW, regarding those Detolf cases, be VERY careful not to damage the glass when assembling it. I pulled out one of the glass panes from the box, and it nudged a chair that I have in my living room and shattered into a thousand pieces. Fortunately it is tempered glass, so it broke into little cubes, but I still was out $70 for a new case. =(

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Its been awhile, but here's some pics of some work I managed to get done. Its been rather slow going. Still a WIP. With the weather window closing here soon for airbrushing outside, this won't get done till next year.

Repaint of the F-1 engines. Nothing fancy, but I think it looks better than the original:

DML172 F1.jpg

First stage repaint WIP. Fins to aluminum. Masked the lettering. Top of stage gloss black roll patterns repainted flat black. Bottom patterns yet to be done. The old yellowing Airfix 1/144 I built some 30 yrs ago as a fun comparison:

DML 172 AFX 1144 SIC F1.jpg

S-IC alone:

DML 172 SIC F1.jpg

S-IVB upper stage and IU repainted to flat black. Styrene strip (0.75 x 1.5mm) added to the bottom edge of the vac formed BPC to reduce the gap between it and the service module radiators. Removed the extra S-IVB stage section ring identical to the AP 10 diecast model, I think that corrects the stack:

DML 172 SIVB.jpg

Added flat black to the AP10 and AP9 die-cast models. Painted top of S-IVB stage section and IU just below the "dog teeth" on the SLA. (These now redone as Apollo 11 with the "lunar approach" Eagle, and as Apollo 7 CSM with BPC SLA in need of a S-IB:

DML 172 SLA.jpg

Other than finishing the roll pattern repaints, I plan to remove the seams and repaint the rest of the S-IVB and do likewise to the S-II, that's been ignored so far.

Eagle in the SLA stacked:

DML172SatVa.jpg

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
They are the same scale, so it interesting seeing the size difference of the two rockets.

Wow yes. They could actually have put a full Redstone/Mercury as a 4th stage. Not that it would have had any interest but still, impressive... :blink:

tgmiller

Reaction score
Saturn V Painting

Hello Everyone;
I am new to this forum and I look forward to corresponding with everyone. I just purchased the new Dragon 1/72 scale Saturn V kit, but the painting instructions are poor. Does anyone know where I can find some accurate instructions?
Troy