OHM 2010: Space Odyssey II - The Year We Make Contact

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: cmoon55

2010: The Year We Make Contact v1.0 (BETA) Dec 24th 2010.  By: Chris Moon.
Contributions By: Computerrex, Dave Bartles, Max Grueter, Abraham Katase, kultch, Chris Moon, Oberon @ Google’s 3D warehouse, Dan Steph, tblaxland, & Vinka.
INCLUDED: CCCP Alexi Leonov, Leonov's Europa Probe, Yellow Discovery, Docking Gangway and Transfer Sled, Leonov's Pod, Large and Small Monoliths, Alien creature on Europa, Transforming Jupiter, Lucifer System.

This add-on, like the 2001: A Space Odyssey add-on, attempts to replicate the vessels and scenery and events of a motion picture, in this case; 2010: The Year We Make Contact directed by Peter Hyams, Written by Arthur C. Clarke. I did my best to use context clues to set up the scenarios in a sensible chronological order. I found that it was possible to do a flyby of Europa, Aerobrake in Jupiter’s atmosphere and end up very close to Io in December of 2010! I’m sure other dates are possible too, but it’s the best fit with the majority of references. And it coincides nicely in that Jupiter’s transformation into a second sun could begin on the Winter Solstic / Total Lunar Eclipse in 2010!

This has been Tested on a laptop with 1G RAM and 1.73 and GHz Processor running Windows XP. Also Tested on higher performance computers running Vista.

Testing Configurations: WARNING: Orbspotlight module add-on from Computerrex is NOT compatable with Orbiter 2010 local light sources, so turn off one or the other.

Successfully Tested against:
High Resolution textures: EarthL11/14, MarsL11, MoonL11, JupiterL8, IoL8, EuropaL8

Tested with all Orbiter 2010 functions and pre-installed modules (EXCEPT LOCAL LIGHT SOURCES)

Installation:

REQUIRED for full use of all scenarios

1. Install ONLY Orbspotlight from compu terrex's Add-on pack.
2. Install Attit ude MFD V3.2
3. Install Unive rsal Cargo Deck Version 4
4. Install UCGO Version 2 by Danstef.
5. Install Spacecraft3 & P1 patch from Vinka.

For added enjoyment install ORBITER SOUND & AEROBREAK MFD

DOWNLOAD

Numero6

Reaction score
I been waiting this for so long!!! Thank you very much!

cmoon55

Reaction score
Me too, so I bit the bullet and built it, but only because others had done the heavy lifting of making great meshes, which I built on and cobbled together.

:)

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
Thank you very mutch too! A great work, together with 2001.
No errors found, all works fine still.
And "all these worlds" are looking wonderfull.

cmoon55

Reaction score
2010 add-on

@ Axel:

Thanks for the positive feedback, sorry for messing up the 2001 add-on a few weeks ago, never intended to cause any problems with the whole "spaces_in_file_names" bug. I'm glad we got to the bottom of that though, from now on I'll be vigilant for that.

Cheers :cheers:

Chris.

:hailprobe:

cmoon55

Reaction score
@ Blacklight,

It should be safe, I've been testing it using a clean install but with both the 2001 and ALIEN add-ons. Many of the textures are the same in all three, I've been careful to re-name Discovery and her pods so as not to over-write anything needed for the 2001 add-on. The Transforming Jupiter and Lucifer systems are actually separate Solar system evironments so they will not over-write any solar system configured as "sol". You can set up alternate scenarios using the Sol_Lucifer system by editing your scenario environment to "Sol_Lucifer" from the default of "Sol".

I'm thinking about adding the Tsien, Chinese ship which in the novel lands on Europa head of the Leonov's arrival, but has an unfortunate encounter with a curious Europan sea creature... not that I found a concept art image of her on Google. It will be my sceond scratch built craft after the Leonov Probe.

Chris.

Last edited:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Are you perhaps going to do the other 2001 ships next? Like all the satellites that were at the beginning of 2001?

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
And Titov with its manned Booster or the Orion-Booster? And the cargo variants without windows? Should be not that hard to develop, we allready have the meshes and the values for spacecraft3. But i have no idea how tho write aerodynamics in spacecraft3. Maybe you could make versions with external tanks too, this would be easier, when you use velcro rockets.

See here my example, how i did it to realisize Skylon with 2 stages, the rocket stage is a invisible velcro stage, Skylon itself is spacecraft3.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4919"]Skylon C2 Velcro[/ame]

You could use the external tank mesh as velcro, connected to the spacecraft3-orion by using UniversalCargoDeck4. The propulsion exhaust you could let go through orions main engines, so the user will think its orion itself which propells the stack. And you would have 4 adavantages:

1. simply cargomanagement for orion by UCG4
2. realistic Isp Curve, you can configure it easy in velcro
3. an autopilot, a velcro feature too, very similar to this used in the original Wo2K1
4. Cross range after reentry, when you add a 3rd stage as jet engine

Writing in velcro is very easy, it calculates automaticly the size of the exhaust, in relation to its used propellant type and thrust value.
And further you had not to change your scenarios. In the original Wo2K1 there was a catapult start of the shuttles, there is an extra catapult addon too. But for the begin we could increase the fuel level a little bit. The catapult gives about 300m/s speed and enables an emergency jettison of the shuttle from booster/tank, when something is going wrong at start. So we can read it in the original Wo2K1 manual.

There is another little problem, i registered, thats its impossible to see through the windows of orion and moonbus from inside. orion is neraly complet invisible from inside and the moonbus has non-tranparent windows. Please could you change that in the mesh/or texture? In the original it was possible and im using "first person walking module", but it steals some of immersion. Maybe you could copy the interior of moonbus to orion, only with more seats for passengers. Ok excuse me, if im to demanding, i try only to make suggestions for future updates, because i saw how fantastic you created the interior of Discovery and Leonov.
You did allready a great awesome job to this time for a single person, what many others not reached! 5 Stars!

Last edited:

cmoon55

Reaction score
Axel, these are all great ideas, I would like to follow-up on each of them, and likely will. But just to let you know what to expect: I've planned to go back to the "Alien" franchize next and focus time on Doing an add-on to Simulate "Aliens" including the Sulaco, Dropship, Hadely's hope, Atmospheric Processor, APC etc etc etc... I've found models for most with the notable exception of the Colony buildings, Which I will attempt to model based on screen shots.

Re the windows, I think the Orion windows were ment to be tinted not opaque, I see though them from inside fine. From outside at night / shade they do seem opaque. The Moon bus interior windows OPPS yeah only just noticed that the other night.

I think I need to take things easy for a few weeks, as you can guess this is really a ton for one person to do, sometime four or five hours a day depending on how much coffee I get. A labour of love. So I guess I'm trying to say I will get to it but only in my spare time as I work on Aliens.

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
Ofcourse cmoon55, no problem! But nice to hear that you will change it in future, take that time you need and want!
That about the alien system sounds great, its a relly nice star system, one of my favorites and i have allready a base there :lol:. I stole base modules from another addon and placed it at LV426. I use orulex too, but the standard orulex config for LV426 was unusable, because mountains was to high. I simply copy and paste the mars setting with random terrain. That looks great with moderate mountains and fitting smoothly the crater base function.

cmoon55

Reaction score
Cool! THANKS! For terrain I often use the "World studio" and re-set the function / constant value to something lower then save changes, but using the mars hight-map works too. Do you know what file I might include in an add-on if I wanted to release edited terrain settings for Orulex users?:thumbup:

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
No i don't know which terrain file you will include. And i used not the mars high map, i used the mars random terrain model.
But ofcourse, prerendered terrains are better, faster to render and you sitting not inside a mountain at next scenario loading :lol:.

Screamer

Reaction score
Where can I find the EarthL11/14, MarsL11, MoonL11 files to download?
It is a super add on for Orbiter. Thanks.

Clavius0712

Reaction score
Hi,

Can't get this to work. Whenever I choose a scenario containing the Leonov it just has an invisible ship with no fuel.

Any help much appreciated.

Clavius0712

cmoon55

Reaction score
Hmmm, dumb question, but do you have the Spacecraft3 and patch from Vinka installed and activated properly? Next, double check that you've placed the mesh and spacescraft INI file into the correct folders. I'm assuming you just unziped to a temp folder, then copied and pasted the corrisponding set of folders into the main Orbiter directory folder as done with all add-ons. I re-checked the continuity of naming, and scenarios etc and can't see any problems.

Do other craft appear OK?

Are you adding the Leonov to "Other" self spawned scenarios? If you are then mave VERY sure you've named the vessel "Alexi_Leonov" in the scenario And chosen the "Alexi_Leonov" from the vessel list in the scenario editor.

Let me know if you uncover / narrow the cause of your trouble. I'd like to know so I can warn others.

Chris.

EDIT: Just finished checking my naming theory, and I got exactly what you've described. Please check that you've installed each file correctly, and that you have not changed the name of the "Alexi_Leonov" to anything else by mistake. Please note the needed underscore between the two names.

Last edited:

Clavius0712

Reaction score
Hmmm, dumb question, but do you have the Spacecraft3 and patch from Vinka installed and activated properly?

Not so dumb. I downloaded spacecraft3 and patch and installed them and I can now see the Leonov. Thanks - looks really good!