2014 World Cup

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Well, looks like the team borrowed Denver's Defensive playbook this time around. Good on Howard for blocking 16 shots, though.

thor36

Reaction score
This 1/8 finals stage was really fascinating. Many a.e.t. and penalties winners, no match was easy for anyone. Although the fact that all the preliminary group winners advance to quarter finals may give a different impression.

It can only get better now , bring it on ! :cheers:

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
The game yesterday was great! I've been supporting the USMNT for a long time now and we are definitely out of the dark ages of soccer in America. We held our own against a better Belgium team (really, this is their best generation of players) and created chances to win and advance.

There are still glaring weaknesses for the US to address: our fullbacks got made to look silly, our forwards took bad touches, and we need a midfield that can help us keep our shape going forward. That said, I'm so pumped for Yedlin, Jóhannsson, Green, Johnson, Altidore, Guzan, Brooks, and some of the other younger guys we have coming up for the next cup.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The first quarterfinal day starts with good news for the local Volkswagen workers here in Wolfsburg - the late shift (14:00 - 22:00 or 22:30) has been completely scrubbed so workers can watch the game (At 18:00 local time) . The later night shift resumes as usual.

Very important here - a felt 99% of the population in Wolfsburg works in the factory.

---------- Post added at 11:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 AM ----------

And on this day, 60 years in the past, Germany won its first FIFA world championship in 1954, the "Wunder von Bern".

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

German will start in an almost retro formation today!

Lahm goes back into the defense line, Khedira and Schweinsteiger play together and Klose plays from the first minute on.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Google said France will win. Google is maybe a data kraken... but no psychic octopus.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wait! we still have two goal to mark ( don't ask when please ) :cheers:

Would the game have gone to overtime, you would have won, I am pretty sure. :cheers:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, you germans can all hail your goal keeper ! :)

Not sure if it works... but I will try it anyway:

6DVoxJqlJRwzKdxltk2SqMl8A4BnukB7cpWN5r5YU5yT0R4Fyfw2OWCKZa0wm6LhaXaf688sOqnEOIqTDlgeiBp7bn4dgRE9P-C3WPi_AQ=s0

MattBaker

Reaction score
Well, you germans can all hail your goal keeper ! :)

Hailing someone who achieved a clean sheet instead of trying to do so, that's a new one.:lol:

I wonder how Brazil will play now. I think Colombia is at least on one level with Chile, if not more. So if Brazil doesn't find its game again, maybe...I would say it's possible.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hailing someone who achieved a clean sheet instead of trying to do so, that's a new one.:lol:

I wonder how Brazil will play now. I think Colombia is at least on one level with Chile, if not more. So if Brazil doesn't find its game again, maybe...I would say it's possible.

Such a stupid play to take Neymar out of the tournament by the Columbian player. I am surprised that the injury was so serious though...

Cmon Brazil, just gotta deal with Germany now. No big deal, right? :lol:

AgentOzzy

Reaction score
There is a storm coming here tomorrow so power might go out. Don't want to miss the Netherlands game

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
The ref let that game get out of control (towards the end, I had flashbacks to the Battle of Nuremberg game between The Netherlands and Portugal). So many hard challenges that were obvious yellows or reds were not given until it was too late. It's a shame because now Neymar is out because of a reckless challenge.

Excited for the Netherlands game tomorrow. I'll be out at the bar with some other Dutch fans, waiting to see what Van Gaal has in store for the match.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Without Neymar and Thiago Silva... German has a chance. A small one, but a chance. But I expect the semifinal to become extremely physical now. Good news: Its two games for both now left in the tournament, regardless of the results of the semi-final.

Last edited:

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The ref let that game get out of control ...

I can't blame the referee. This World Cup has been infected by players who fake injuries all the time, so as a referee, it is difficult to see the difference between real and fake attacks on players.
Neymar jr. falls all the time, so how could the referee know that this injury was a real one after all the times he fall down and cry in "pain" after a small touch on his back?

We have seen many excellent goals in this World Cup, but I find it hard to enjoy a match with so many unfair players.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I suppose I'll be supporting Costa Rica in their coming match, being that they are the only CONCACAF team left standing.