2018 German Grand Prix Hockenheim, 20-22 July

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Lewis Hamilton will start the German Grand Prix from 14th on the grid while title rival Sebastian Vettel took a stunning pole position for Ferrari.
Hamilton's Mercedes suffered hydraulic failure in the first part of the session, grinding to a halt on track.
Vettel set pole from Hamilton's team-mate Valtteri Bottas by 0.204 seconds and is now in position to extend his eight-point lead in the championship.
But Bottas' second place gives him a chance to challenge Ferrari.
The Finn edged out Vettel's team-mate Kimi Raikkonen by 0.131secs and has the inside line on the run to the first corner for Sunday's race.
Bottas said: "The start is going to be crucial. Race pace-wise, it is going to be close."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44905790

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, it seems...

Lewis Hamilton took a sensational victory in a thrilling, rain-hit German Grand Prix as rival Sebastian Vettel crashed out to hand the Mercedes driver an unexpected gift in the championship battle.
Vettel had been cruising to victory in his Ferrari ahead of Hamilton's Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas until rain started to fall with just over 25 laps to go.
But the weather, which hit only part of the track, turned the race on its head and brought Hamilton into the mix when he had been looking at a fourth-place finish after fighting up from his 14th place on the grid following hydraulic failure in qualifying.
Hamilton began to carve into the advantage of the three leading drivers - Vettel, his Ferrari team-mate Kimi Raikkonen and Bottas - as chaos erupted down the field.
And then, as the rain became heavier, Vettel lost control at the Sachs Kurve hairpin in Hockenheim's Stadium section in front of tens of thousands of his home fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/44912617

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

"fighting". Most everyone moves straight out of his way, he was back up to 6th by lap 3. Not very impressed with his late ditch of the pit stop, and Mercedes boxing Bottas just afterwards really screwed him over, 16 second pit stop while they had to go get his tyres and work out what to put on the car, they had been ready for Hamilton! Ferrari should have pitted Kimi while Hamilton was struggling to work out where the track was and where the pit lane wasn't - pitting him that lap later consigned him to third, there was no realistic chance of him beating either Mercedes after that.

Poor Daniel Ricciardo who took a raft of new engine parts and associated penalties to make his Hungary better, then retired with engine trouble - looks like fresh penalties ahead.

And the news is now that Kimi may well get another one year deal with Ferrari, having shown the kind of consistency that brings you nearly 100 podium finishes. Previously the message was clear that Leclerc was taking his seat, but Sergio is now unwell and won't be taking back over, that plan seems to have bitten the dust in favour of the more experienced driver.

What looked like a secure win for Vettel turned into a Mercedes 1-2 finish, I'm sure that's made them all very happy on home turf.

ljetibo

Reaction score
pitting him that lap later consigned him to third, there was no realistic chance of him beating either Mercedes after that.

I don't think this is the only reason Rai woudn't have been able to catch up with Bottas as Rai is still on an old PU having one fail early in the season. They would likely not allow him to push his PU to max anyhow as any failure now would bring about grid penalties (from which it's harder to recover).

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I don't think this is the only reason Rai woudn't have been able to catch up with Bottas as Rai is still on an old PU having one fail early in the season. They would likely not allow him to push his PU to max anyhow as any failure now would bring about grid penalties (from which it's harder to recover).

No, I agree - what I meant was that if he'd boxed when Bottas did, Lewis would probably have gone in behind him, and he'd likely have kept track position - which might ultimately have won him the race. As soon as he pitted and lost track position, he was never going to get it back.

He may not have stood a chance on his older PU as you say, but given the conditions for the end of the race I doubt that Hamilton or Bottas would really have risked a challenge - and he was still more than quick enough to keep them behind.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
No, I agree - what I meant was that if he'd boxed when Bottas did, Lewis would probably have gone in behind him, and he'd likely have kept track position - which might ultimately have won him the race. As soon as he pitted and lost track position, he was never going to get it back.

He may not have stood a chance on his older PU as you say, but given the conditions for the end of the race I doubt that Hamilton or Bottas would really have risked a challenge - and he was still more than quick enough to keep them behind.

I am 200% with you. It was a Ferrari pit wall very big error