A proposal to reduce the delta-V to orbit.

Director

Reaction score
Website
webpages.charter.net
To reach orbit you have to have your vehicle have a horizontal, i.e., tangential, orbital velocity, of about 7,800 m/s and have sufficient altitude, say at least 100 km, the altitude considered to be "space". To get to this altitude you have to have a separate velocity in the vertical direction. The usual way to estimate this vertical velocity is by using the relation between kinetic energy and potential energy. It gives the speed of v = sqrt(2gh) to reach an altitude of h meters. At 100,000 m, v is 1,400 m/s. So then it is common to estimate the required delta-V to orbit to be 1400 + 7800 = 9,200 m/s.
Bob Clark

Earth's rotation helps you out a little bit. I don't feel real safe until I'm past about 115 km or so on the way out, though. 100 km is still pretty dicey when you are traveling nearly horizontal on a fairly flat trajectory.

100 kilometers is for the suborbital tourism folks flying vertical parabolics. Technically you could fly an almost parabolic orbit to apogee and then just hit it and escape, not sure what that is going to do to your fuel economy. You'll need a powerful engine too.

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Orbital Science Corporation's Pegasus XL launch vehicle has to deal with a lot of the problems which have been discussed in this thread. I am modeling it, and have had some practice flying it.

First off, it has wings. The sole reason it has wings is that it is launched horizontal, and needs lift in order to pitch up. In effect the little fins in the back point the nose up, then the wing acts like a big fin to reduce the angle of attack.

The normal launch is to pull up as needed to keep the nose slightly up from drop to ignition, then light the engines and pull up hard, until the nose is at 40deg. Then you wait for the airspeed vector to get to 35deg, then let off the controls until first stage shutdown.

Secondly, it was mentioned to use the first stage to just pop the rocket above the atmosphere, then wait for it to coast to apogee and do one final kick to get into orbit. Pegasus kind of does this. It is a three stage rocket, but each stage only fires for about a minute, almost short enough to be considered impulsive.

A typical target for a Pegasus payload is a direct insertion to about 600km or so circular polar orbit. Most ground-launch vehicles target something much lower, then restart to get higher. So for instance, the Space Shuttle inserts into a 60x220 (or more) km orbit and cuts off at 110km going up. It needs to burn OMS-2 at the first apogee to finish dragging the perigee out of the atmosphere. Things like Saturn and Delta target a 185km initial parking orbit. Pegasus doesn't really have a restart ability like this, so it needs some trickery to get directly to 600km.

The first two stages are pitched up about 30deg and raise the apogee up to 600km in two minutes. Then the vehicle coasts up to apogee for about 7 minutes where the third stage fires. The first two stages don't just pop the vehicle up, they also give it about 5km/s downrange speed, without which the third stage can't do its thing.

Now a Pegasus is launched from an airplane at 11km altitude. It pitches up to 35deg by about 15km. I wonder what a typical ground-launch vehicle has pitched down to by 15km. When I fly a ground-launch vehicle, I usually get to about 45deg down by there.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
Orbital Science Corporation's Pegasus XL launch vehicle has to deal with a lot of the problems which have been discussed in this thread. I am modeling it, and have had some practice flying it.
First off, it has wings. The sole reason it has wings is that it is launched horizontal, and needs lift in order to pitch up. In effect the little fins in the back point the nose up, then the wing acts like a big fin to reduce the angle of attack.
The normal launch is to pull up as needed to keep the nose slightly up from drop to ignition, then light the engines and pull up hard, until the nose is at 40deg. Then you wait for the airspeed vector to get to 35deg, then let off the controls until first stage shutdown.
Secondly, it was mentioned to use the first stage to just pop the rocket above the atmosphere, then wait for it to coast to apogee and do one final kick to get into orbit. Pegasus kind of does this. It is a three stage rocket, but each stage only fires for about a minute, almost short enough to be considered impulsive.
A typical target for a Pegasus payload is a direct insertion to about 600km or so circular polar orbit. Most ground-launch vehicles target something much lower, then restart to get higher. So for instance, the Space Shuttle inserts into a 60x220 (or more) km orbit and cuts off at 110km going up. It needs to burn OMS-2 at the first apogee to finish dragging the perigee out of the atmosphere. Things like Saturn and Delta target a 185km initial parking orbit. Pegasus doesn't really have a restart ability like this, so it needs some trickery to get directly to 600km.
The first two stages are pitched up about 30deg and raise the apogee up to 600km in two minutes. Then the vehicle coasts up to apogee for about 7 minutes where the third stage fires. The first two stages don't just pop the vehicle up, they also give it about 5km/s downrange speed, without which the third stage can't do its thing.
Now a Pegasus is launched from an airplane at 11km altitude. It pitches up to 35deg by about 15km. I wonder what a typical ground-launch vehicle has pitched down to by 15km. When I fly a ground-launch vehicle, I usually get to about 45deg down by there.

Thanks for the info. You'll note this means Pegasus is traveling at an angle for a good portion of the trip, at least for most of the first stage portion.
It is using wings to accomplish this. What I want to know is if this is possible without using wings.
I don't know how detailed your calculations are, but it might be interesting to find out what would be the required delta-V for Pegasus to say get to say only a 100 km high orbit.

Bob Clark

Last edited:

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
I've gotten conflicting responses as to whether it is physically doable. So let me ask about that second method I mentioned. The idea would be to have engines on rotatable pylons towards the front end and perhaps towards the end, but the gimbaling of the engine at the base might make this last unnecessary.
These engines are supposed to have enough force to allow the vehicle to hover no matter what the attitude of the rocket by rotating the engines on the pylons. I'll assume the total thrust is the same as with the usual rocket with engines at the base, i.e, say at some common T/W ratio (greater than one of course) except this thrust can be variably distributed among the different engines by directing varying amounts of propellant to the different engines.
The idea would be to travel at a straight line at an angle for some portion of the trip until your vertical velocity is sufficient to reach a maximum, say, 100 km altitude. Then you apply horizontal thrust to achieve the 7,800 m/s horizontal velocity required for orbit. Notice at the end of the straight-line portion you'll have some vertical speed and horizontal speed. You want this vertical speed, taking into account how high you are at the end of the straight-line portion, to allow your vertical coast to reach a max 100 km altitude. Note too that you only have to add on during the horizontal thrust portion the excess over the horizontal speed you already achieved during the straight-line part.
Note that along the straight-line portion the vertical thrust I'm applying is just enough to cancel gravity. Then the excess thrust is directly along the straight-line so that the vehicle will be accelerated along that straight-line.
Since I'm trying to minimize the delta-V, I'll only require the orbit to be at 100 km, and I also subtract off the 460 m/s you get for free by launching at the equator. So for the horizontal thrust portion, let's say you only have to reach 7,400 m/s.
Now I tried some varying speeds you should reach along the straight-line and various angles so that the total delta-V is minimum. My calculations show you could get a delta-V to orbit in the range of 8,100 m/s to 8,200 m/s doing it this way without considering air drag.
When you're doing the simulations keep in mind the speed you achieve on the straight-line could be made small if you stay on the line a long time, but this will greatly increase your gravity drag, since all during this portion you're supplying vertical thrust to cancel your weight. So there would be an optimal speed and angle on this straight-line portion so that the total delta-V is minimized.
Try this first in the case without air drag to see if you confirm my calculation. Then see how much it would be with air drag.

Bob Clark

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
with determination and imagination, anything is possible! :cool:

I'm pretty sure someone mentioned a takeoff like this is great for places like the moon.

I think on the earth air drag is too big of a factor to not take it into account and one of the main benefits of sticking around in the atmosphere is so the engines can breath it, otherwise its just slogging. The real question is does it take more or less fuel to slog through the atmosphere for greater lengths of time or is the idea behind it overshadowing it's usefulness? How about developing propulsion so that we don't have to count pennies to get to where we're going?

Can't calculate the drag unless there is a model or a shape to work with otherwise it's just speculation and guesswork. I suppose a coefficient could be "borrowed" from a similar device, however it sounds like you would like it to assume different attitudes in which case the amount of drag would be changing as the device flew in different configurations.

It is my opinion that we live below the surface of our planet and though we move through it easily (as if nothing was there) the atmosphere is still there but we have special eyes that make it invisible and less tangible seeming. Something colliding with earth doesn't collide with the dirt it collides first with the atmosphere and this is a formidable collision.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
with determination and imagination, anything is possible! :cool:
I'm pretty sure someone mentioned a takeoff like this is great for places like the moon.
I think on the earth air drag is too big of a factor to not take it into account and one of the main benefits of sticking around in the atmosphere is so the engines can breath it, otherwise its just slogging. The real question is does it take more or less fuel to slog through the atmosphere for greater lengths of time or is the idea behind it overshadowing it's usefulness? How about developing propulsion so that we don't have to count pennies to get to where we're going?
Can't calculate the drag unless there is a model or a shape to work with otherwise it's just speculation and guesswork. I suppose a coefficient could be "borrowed" from a similar device, however it sounds like you would like it to assume different attitudes in which case the amount of drag would be changing as the device flew in different configurations.
It is my opinion that we live below the surface of our planet and though we move through it easily (as if nothing was there) the atmosphere is still there but we have special eyes that make it invisible and less tangible seeming. Something colliding with earth doesn't collide with the dirt it collides first with the atmosphere and this is a formidable collision.

I like that phrasing that we live beneath the "surface" of our planet, which just happens to be transparent to our eyes.
About the prior post where I was able to get low 8,100 m/s to 8,200 m/s drag-free delta-V's using a partial straight-line trajectory, I realized afterwards that it was requiring quite large lift-off thrust/weight ratios, in the range of 3 and above. This might be unrealistic for a SSTO where you have to greatly minimize your dry weight, and an engine mass two to three times larger than usual might eliminate the mass ratio needed to be SSTO.
However, this might be doable for a multi-stage rocket because of the curious fact that for a lower stage having a heavy dry weight only reduces your final payload to orbit to a small degree. This interesting point is made by Robert Zubrin in his book Entering Space: Creating a Spacefaring Civilization when discussing the space shuttle:

"The shuttle is a fiscal disaster not because it is reusable, but because both its technical and programmatic bases are incorrect. The shuttle is a partially reusable launch vehicle: Its lower stages are expendable or semi-salvageable while the upper stage (the orbiter ) is reusable. As aesthetically pleasing as this configuration may appear to some, from an engineering point of view this is precisely the opposite of the correct way to design a partially reusable launch system. Instead, the lower stages should be reusable and the upper stage expendable. Why? Becasue the lower stages of a multi-staged booster are far more massive than the upper stage: so if only one or the other is to be reusable, you save much more money by reusing the lower stage. Furthermore, it is much easier to make the lower stage reusable, since it does not fly as high or as fast, and thus takes much less of a beating during reentry. Finally the negative payload impact of adding those systems required for reusability is much less if they are put on the lower stage than the upper. In a typical two-stage to orbit system for example every kilogram of extra dry mass added to the lower stage reduces the payload delivered to orbit by about 0.1 kilograms, whereas a kilogram of extra dry mass on the upper stage causes a full kilogram of payload loss. {emphasis added - R.G.C.}The Shuttle is actually a 100-tonne to orbit booster, but because the upper stage is reusable orbiter vehicle with a dry mass of 80 tonnes, only 20 tonnes of payload is actually delivered to orbit. From the amount of smoke, fire, and thrust the Shuttle produces on the launch pad, it should deliver five times the payload to orbit of a Titan IV, but because it must launch the orbiter to space as well as the payload, its net delivery capability only equals that of the Titan. There is no need for 60-odd tonnes of wings, landing gear and thermal protection systems in Earth orbit, but the shuttle drags them up there (at a cost of $10 million per tonne) anyway each time it flies. In short the Space Shuttle is so inefficient because it is built upside down. {the emphasis here is in the original - R.G.C.}
Entering Space, p. 29.

I strongly recommend this book by the way for anyone interested in space travel, which I suppose includes everyone reading this forum.
I observed this effect recently in my calculations. I was trying to see what payloads I could get to orbit given the dry mass and propellant mass of the stages of my proposed multi-stage system by varying the payload mass while requiring the total delta-V to exceed some minimum value.
I found that if I added some amount to the payload the delta-V provided by last stage of the vehicle changed greatly while the first stage delta-V changed minimally. And the change in the delta-V in the first stage was even smaller for 3-staged systems compared to 2-staged systems. I realized that this is in accordance to what Zubrin was saying.
So if we added more engines on the first stage of a multi-stage system to allow a large say 3 to 1 lift-off thrust/weight ratio, then the extra weight in the dry mass of the first stage would only subtract minimally from the payload to orbit. But IF this higher lift-off T/W allowed you to reduce the required delta-V to 8,500 m/s or even to 8,100 m/s then this results in a *major* increase in the payload you can deliver to orbit.
Try this yourself for some multi-stage systems you are considering. Add more engines to the first stage to raise the lift-off T/W to 3 to 1. You'll find the payload you can lift to orbit assuming the same delta-V as you were using before, say, 9,200 m/s or so, will be only minimally reduced by the extra weight of the engines in the first stage.
But then assume that this new configuration only requires a 8,100 m/s delta-V to orbit, you'll see the payload will be increased to a large degree. I was getting increases in the range of 70%.

BTW, because my partial straight-line trajectory only was able to get these low delta-V's to orbit by using high lift-off T/W ratios in the range of 3 or 4 to 1, it occurs to me it is just an artifact of the high lift-off T/W. This could indeed be the case since a high lift-off T/W will reduce your gravity loss.
So perhaps you can do a simulation with your standard trajectory to orbit only assuming a high lift-off T/W of for instance 3 to 1. Does this reduce your delta-V to orbit to the low values I was getting for my partial straight-line trajectory?

Bob Clark

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:lol: the shuttle IS built upside-down! how glorious! i had never thought of it that way - but it's so true! :p

if you're gonna go with a reusable craft - it would make much more sense to have an actual SSTO.... when you beggin shedding bits of your vessel on the way up, resusability has gone out the window....

specially if you need to reuse the Orbiter itself, rather than the launcher :rolleyes:

IMO, an SSTO would need to be more an airplane than a rocket... rockets engines have VERY, VERY low ISP in comparison to air-breathing types.... having to haul up ALL your proppellant mass, is quite inconvenient....

if i were in the position to do so, i'd advise towards building a spaceplane, which is capable of extending it's airbreathing operation range to the highest posssible speeds....
then it actually WOULD pay off to linger inside the atmosphere as you accelerate, using it to counter gravity drag as well as supply free proppellant mass and oxidizer....

you could make it to over half of orbital velocity and altitude this way, reducing considerably the requirements for the rocket engines

my G42 addon is an illustration of this concept, which i believe has a valid foundation, as far as SSTO goes.....

however, this idea may not prove adequate for lifting very heavy loads..... the threshold for allowable cargo mass in such a craft is pretty tight.... which makes it more suitable for space-station maintenance and crew transfer than for hardcore lifting jobs, i guess :rolleyes:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually, the first stage of the Space Shuttle stack, the SRBs, are fully reusable. The only expendable thing is the external tank, which is practically just a aluminum egg shell filled with propellants. Ok, it has 26 tons dry weight - out of 2050 tons lift-off mass.

The problem of the shuttle is not the coarse design configuration, it is the devil in the detail. It is a first attempt reusable space-plane, sadly turned into an operational prototype, instead of refining it into a real production vehicle.

Last edited:

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
:lol: the shuttle IS built upside-down! how glorious! i had never thought of it that way - but it's so true! :p

if you're gonna go with a reusable craft - it would make much more sense to have an actual SSTO.... when you beggin shedding bits of your vessel on the way up, resusability has gone out the window....

specially if you need to reuse the Orbiter itself, rather than the launcher :rolleyes:

IMO, an SSTO would need to be more an airplane than a rocket... rockets engines have VERY, VERY low ISP in comparison to air-breathing types.... having to haul up ALL your proppellant mass, is quite inconvenient....

if i were in the position to do so, i'd advise towards building a spaceplane, which is capable of extending it's airbreathing operation range to the highest posssible speeds....
then it actually WOULD pay off to linger inside the atmosphere as you accelerate, using it to counter gravity drag as well as supply free proppellant mass and oxidizer....

you could make it to over half of orbital velocity and altitude this way, reducing considerably the requirements for the rocket engines

my G42 addon is an illustration of this concept, which i believe has a valid foundation, as far as SSTO goes.....

however, this idea may not prove adequate for lifting very heavy loads..... the threshold for allowable cargo mass in such a craft is pretty tight.... which makes it more suitable for space-station maintenance and crew transfer than for hardcore lifting jobs, i guess :rolleyes:

As mentioned, the Shuttle is more re-usable than most think. However, while the wings and such are not technically needed to simply be in orbit or return a crew.... they ARE needed to return a payload. And that, driven by the USAF, is the real reason it turned out that way. It never got used as advertised much if at all (at least, that we know of), but assuming it was/would be, it's actually not that much of a waste at all. The real trouble comes from having to cloak the intetions by using it for every flight, even when you don't need the payload return capability, so that people don't automatically assume you're stealing the enemies satellites. :lol:

You can combine the 2 ideas - reusable space planes (aka, "SSTO"), and multistage craft. The XL-70/HyperDart combo is an example. Burchismo's Space Plane 2.0 is another. The Flyback F1 (which won't work in O-2010 :( ) is a third. And I have some ideas of my own I would love to be able to model, if I could ever find time to learn how. lol

Take one giant air breathing plane, get it up high and fast, but still in the atmo, but you clear that density, and gain a lot of V along the way, then detach and burn hard to clear the remainder of atmo and delta V where it's most efficient. Meanwhile, your "booster" returns to base to get refueled.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yeah, having a "launcher plane" such as the XL-70 for the HyperDart is a pretty good example of a reusable first stage....

one could theorize about a vehicle with reusable first and third stages - the first, would be a launcher airplane, designed to carry the other two stages out of the "thick" of the atmosphere - the second, a disposable booster engine, that powers the third stage onto orbit....

the third stage then, would be a shuttle-like craft (perhaps smaller) capable of maneuvering itself in orbit and returning a crew and possible payload safely to earth :hmm:

just random ideas from a hyperactive mind :p

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
one could theorize about a vehicle with reusable first and third stages - the first, would be a launcher airplane, designed to carry the other two stages out of the "thick" of the atmosphere - the second, a disposable booster engine, that powers the third stage onto orbit....

the third stage then, would be a shuttle-like craft (perhaps smaller) capable of maneuvering itself in orbit and returning a crew and possible payload safely to earth :hmm:

just random ideas from a hyperactive mind :p
Freaking genius! This was envisioned in Soviet Russia, in the form of the Spiral, its LRB, and its Tu-50/50 mothership.

Also mentioned before was how the STS is designed upside-down.
Indeed it is- well, in Soviet Russia, rocket launches YOU! :lol:
Not only was Energia-Buran a more efficient, more capable, and possibly safer system than the STS, it was also envisioned to have been completely reusable!

They sure did have a lot of interesting ideas, unfortunately those didn't come out...

I also attempted to re-create a Spiral-50/50 type system in Orbiter with an XL-70, Delta-Tug, and DGIV (with Mark I engines)...that was an epic fail.
I know, DT is meant for the TX...I think the TX is cool, but kinda unrealistic...it is the kind of launcher you're talking about, though.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Buran could have been so much better than the shuttle, but it still was made to be like the shuttle and thus had the same mass-wasting design. The Energia is really the best part of the entire project, as without the Buran it can send up so much more cargo. There is very few ways anyone could steal some a enemy's satellite without being caught, so why build a shuttle to bring them back? The STS is badly designed in my opinion, as you can't just get rid of the orbiter, and are stuck with it.

On-topic Proposal to Reduce delta-v to Orbit:
A neat way to bypass the darn atmosphere and get the most form a horizontal trajectory would be to loft the rocket on a balloon/airship to high altitude, then launching in a way like the original poster said. The only problem is a balloon/airship capable of lifting rockets up that high is going to be a lot harder to design than the rocket. But this is just me talking about things I don't really know.:shrug:

Last edited:

Tommy

Reaction score
I've spent quite a bit of time looking into optimizing the ascent profile for the DG, and some of what I've learned applies here. First, drag isn't all it's cracked up to be. I've found that drag is lower than most people expect, and the pitch tables most people use are too "steep" - pitch angle at any given altitude is too high. However, an unwinged vessel poses a challenge that winged vessels don't. Lift must come from thrust, which means that the thrust vector isn't aligned with the velocity vector. Since the thrust vector needs to be aligned with the CoG, this usually means a non-zero AoA is required. With most vessel designs, this higher AoA means a much higher drag coefficient. It also means much higher aerodynamic loads and structural loads - which means a sturdier (and consequently heavier) vessel. A cylindrical design maximizes capacity while maintaining a minimum cross section - if the AoA is zero. For these reasons it's best to keep the vessel pointed as directly as possible at the velocity vector. This forces a "higher" ascent profile and gravity turn. Unless you design a vessel that allows you to vector the thrust and have it still pass though the CoG, for instance engines in "pods" that rotate and are located on either side of the CoG. That would allow you to offset the thrust vector to provide lift while maintaining the smallest possible cross-section.

Aerodynamic drag isn't linear - it's exponential. Doubling the velocity more than doubles the drag. Under 10k in altitude drag begins increasing dramatically at speeds over 250m/s. By 20k altitude, the "curve" starts around 1500m/s. The goal would be to stay just short of the "curve" - there would be a minimum altitude you want to be at for any given airspeed. A higher ascent profile will reduce the current drag force, but means diverting more thrust into countering gravity - resulting in a slower overall ascent, which means that the drag has more time to affect you. Sometimes it's advantageous to have a higher drag rate if means less time in the atmosphere and a lower accumulated drag.

Another way to view this problem is to consider it as an energy issue. You want to go from a low energy state (landed) to a higher energy state (in orbit). This means that Work must be done. The Oberth effect shows that the faster you are going, the more Work is accomplished for a given delta-V. Therefore, the goal is to gain velocity as soon as possible, so more Work gets done sooner. This means you want as much of the thrust go into a horizontal direction as possible - using just enough downward thrust to gain altitude and stay in the "sweet spot" of the drag curve.

Another advantage to gaining velocity sooner is that centrifugal force builds faster. Even at suborbital speeds centrifugal force helps counter gravity. Every m/s of centrifugal force is one less m/s that has to come from thrust, meaning more acceleration is available.

I would think that the most efficient ascent profile is not a line, but a compound curve. It would be defined by the points at which losses due to drag outweigh the gains from centrifugal force and the Oberth effect. There may be "flat spots" or even slight dips.

On an airless body, the problem is simplified. The most efficient ascent will be the one that attains orbital velocity in the shortest amount of time. You only want enough vertical thrust to clear any building or terrain obstacles, then maintain that minimum altitude until orbital velocity is reached, the actual ascent to orbital altitude would be caused by centrifugal force (followed, of course, by a circularization burn at Apo.)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
what pitch tables? :blink:

Essentially the way, how they lower or raise the nose of the DG by time, or by reached velocity.

Most pitch tables you see in tutorials and such, are not very optimized, they just get you into orbit some how. If you like the smell of scorched heat shield, you can fly much more aggressive and shallow, just barely dipping out of the atmosphere for the final acceleration.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
i love the smell of scorched heat shield in the morning... smells like, AWESOME! :rofl:

bottomline is: if you got wings, you can fly a LOT shallower than you would if you didn't....
living proof is my G42, which makes the whole way to orbit without raising the nose any higher than 40 degrees :thumbup:

air is good... it does add a bit of drag and heat, but you can use it to run your engines further and harder as well as for some "free" lift - which is particularly convenient at early flight

Last edited: