A rotation matrix from a normalized vector

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
so, this is one for the math-savvy folks here...

say i have a surface, and a ball to collide against it - this surface is represented as a plane defined by normal vector...

this is all in 2d, and is part of my quad-tree simulation thing....

the surface normal is contained in each quad that has a surface segment going through it... anyways, that's all sorted out, but now - i need to get stuff bumping off of it....

in order to simplify things, i have that "surface normal" vector normalized at a pre-compute step, so i don't have to calculate that in run-time....

and then, my plan is, in order to actually check the colliding of objects against said surface, i'd just "rotate" them into "local space" by building a transform matrix out of the normal vector...

the math sounds coherent - but i can't seem to get this to work for the life of me....

a rotation is (i hope) defined in matrix form like this:
rx = vx* cos(r) + vy*sin(r);
ry = vx*-sin(r) + vy*cos(r);

so i figured that already having the unit-length surface normal vector, i could very well build a matrix around it and use that to rotate other vectors from "world space" into "surface space"...

which kinda makes sense, since the normal vector's x and y values should directly match the cos and sin of the angle between that and the world-space idea of "up"...

so i figured i could just substitute:
rx = vx* nrml.x + vy*nrml.y;
ry = vx*-nrml.y + vy*nrml.x;

and skip a bunch of expensive computation steps - i could almost hear the CPU applauding this idea....

but then, it didn't really work... and i'm not sure exactly WHAT i messed up this time....

i wonder if i should have swapped X and Y somewhere... googling for an answer has proven fruitless for a few days now... so now i ask here

how does one build a rot-matrix around a normalized vector?

and i thank you in advance! :cheers:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Shall I post you the formula from my small pocket math book (you should never leave your house with out it)?

[math]M(\delta) = (1-\cos \alpha) \begin{pmatrix}a^2 & ab & ac \\ ab & b^2 & bc \\ ac & bc & c^2 \end{pmatrix} + \cos \alpha \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix} + \sin \alpha \begin{pmatrix}0 & -c & b \\ c & 0 & -a \\ -b & a & 0 \end{pmatrix}[/math]
a, b, c are the components of your rotation vector (normalized)

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Shall I post you the formula from my small pocket math book (you should never leave your house with out it)?)

What's the name of the book.