News Adieu, Albert Uderzo

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The creator and long-term drawer of the Asterix comics, Albert Uderzo, has died because of a heart attack yesterday, at the age of 92.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/mar/24/asterix-creator-albert-uderzo-dies-at-92

https://www.lemonde.fr/disparitions...es-peres-d-asterix-est-mort_6034210_3382.html

As you can tell from my signature, I am a big fan of his comics, especially the older ones. Luckily, his successors are not all bad, so the comics will go on. But the Uderzo-Goscinni years are still the best.

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
My french teacher, who was head of the school library, had all Asterix & Obelix issues in French and Latin in the library. Loved the french ones and still don't understand Latin :lol:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Asterix was very good, it's one of my favorite characters.

Even some of the movies are entertaining, although I think it doesn't work that well with real people.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Heaven is: On a rainy day, lying warm and comfy on my couch, listen to the raindrops falling outside, eating chocolate and reading Asterix!

I will always be grateful to Uderzo & Goscinni for creating the adventures of Asterix.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Seeing that thread a bit late. Asterix was one of my first readings. My grandfather had the whole serie. The anachronisms are absolutely hilarious - and the word games on the character names are crazy.

Asterix depicts the pro-european enthousiasm of the era of economic prosperity that came after the war (sadly, that era is clearly over). He very often travels to neighbouring provinces/nations, and almost always makes good friends amongst the locals.

Asterix is also a symbol of humanism, as it was thought by Montaigne and Rabelais : the main characters are "bon-vivants" (epicureans is the closest english translation I can find - though the meaning of that word is based on the common misunderstanding of the quite austere Epicure) that depict an "art de vivre à la française" (a french way of good living).

Uderzo had a well-filled life and his work inspired many generations.