Problem Aerodynamics problem with spacecraft3.dll

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Greetings

I'm currently developing new craft for Orbiter and I have problem with it.
The craft wold be something like Hermes Shuttle, but I can't tweak aerodynamics parameters for reentry.

I wish it should reentry at about 40-60 deg AoA but in that case the trajectory is terrible and it bounces several times. If it reenters at 80 deg trajectory looks good but control surfaces/RCS are to weak to maintain this AoA. When I simply increase AILERON parameters ship has terrible properties in flight.

here is the ship (requires spacecraft3.dll - not included)
http://www.lorusik.webpark.pl/vertigo.zip

Can someone help me with it?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
try banking left or riight at the 40 degree angle to defer some of the lift.

chameleon

Reaction score
People, i have same problem too.
I cannot write aerodynamics model for capsule of 7K-L1 ship. :(
Please, can you give me tutorial or another information of aerodynamics in Orbiter?

Thomas Loe.

Reaction score
For me is possible to fly this bird down to the Runway but i get always a CTD before i can land it.

I found the CG is to far forward its need to adjust more backweard.

Fuel Balast Tanks ?

A light oszillations belong the pitch axis exist depend on the heavy nose can be this dumping on the pitch axis.

With the RCS is possible to hold a 30° up to 45° AOA.

With the Aeroframe is not possible its going down to 15° and a strong oszilations are encounter.

Maybe the Smal elevator ore to mutch movements of the elevator can be the problem, wy the nose coming fast up and down (install a Fly By Wire).

I dont know wy i get a CTD but would be fun to be a test pilot on Orbiter *g*

a good pilot is always in training.
Thomas

Last edited:

Dambuster

Reaction score
I like it so far - the mesh is really nice!!

A few comments:
I think that the drag coefficient (is this the right term?) is too low - it doesn't seem to slow down anywhere near fast enough for a plane of its shape. If this is fixed, it should help with the AoA during reentry. Also, the RCS/ailerons seem to be too powerful - the roll rate in the atmosphere appears too high. Finally, when I close the bay doors (and to a lesser extent the nose cone), there are still gaps that I can see in the doors.

Thomas: I didn't get any CTDs, but then again when I deorbited and landed I was several thousand miles from any runways :p. Are you sure it isn't one of your other addons causing the CTD? I had one something like this once where I'd get a CTD once I passed below a certain altitude in reentry.

EDIT: I just tested it again, and this time moved it to Cape Canaveral, flew it to the runway and landed without a CTD. I noticed that it was very difficult to control on the final approach, and the nose kept dropping (NB: I did not use any trim). Also, there seems to be absolutely no control of it on the ground using the RCS/rudder.

Last edited:

Thomas Loe.

Reaction score
Yes the L/D max is not verry helpfull to reducing speed but i think depends on airfoil NACA its to schape.

But also no speedbreak are installed to help to maintain a good glide profile.

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

The concept of the airfoil should be rework and testing in a Wind Tunnel to find a good solutions.

I think the stabilisers and all deflections and coordinated should be adjusted to find a smooth stable flight ore build a fly by wire for the unstable bird.

A think also to adjust the cord line is to much negative value.

Short Technical Debrief: The Bird in the rentry with max trim in the tail and 35% of fuel was the AOA 10° to 17° with out using the elevator.

And the Dynamic pressure is to high 32 up to 55 but its based on to less AOA.

a good pilot is always in training
Thomas

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for feedback
Work is still in progress

My spottings:
Animations work fine (no gaps) when using in 0,1 time compression. I think it may be spacecraft 3 issue.

For now I'm reworking mesh (better front and rear gear, speedbrake animation, textures etc.) and learning C++ for writing my own module with 2d panel and simple "hold AOA" autopilot.

I'm also with aerodynamic model but is very hard to fully understand it in English. I have to find some books in polish about it.

Now I'm analyzing DG-IV and shuttle data in order to work something out.

Probably on Saturday there will be an update.