Flight Question Align random orbit with transfer parking orbit

boo

Reaction score
Hello. How to align any random orbit (for example, on Earth) with the transfer plane? TransX or any other tool. How to find ascending or descending nodes of these planes.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello,

What do you mean exactly by "the transfer plane" ?

The AN/DN of the original orbit are always the same, regardless of the parameters of the orbit you're trying to match.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It usually doesn't make sense to do it like that. For getting into a heliocentric transfer orbit (eg from Earth to Mars), you simply depart in the plane of your Orbit around Earth - If you depart your orbit at the position of right departing "locus" with the correct parameters for your target orbit, the hyperbolic excess velocity (the velocity vector that is added to the velocity vector of your departure planet for getting the resulting DV for the transfer orbit), will always be the same, it will just be at slightly different positions, the difference being too small to really matter when you arrive.

A good summary of the theory can be found here:

And yes, it also works in the other way around: From any arriving transfer orbit, you can get into ANY inclination around the target planet. All you need to hit is the right keyhole in space relative to your target planet, a small difference, often just a small burn of the RCS, is enough to change it.

Thus: Avoid alignments that you don't need.

Reactions: boo

boo

Reaction score
For example, i docked to ISS, want to get on parking orbit, what is my next step?
How to setup locus if my ship is on ISS orbit?

Last edited:

Ajaja

Reaction score
Using ScnEditor module you can place some ship to any orbit and target it.

boo

Reaction score
Thanks Nikogori, that's what i need. A little bit hard. A lot of "surface start" tutorials. But random orbit to parking orbit is kind a rare maneuver.

Offtop. A few days ago I visited Mars with Transfer MFD :)
Escape the Earth near the terminator to the night side, go into a sun-centered orbit, then align my orbit with Mars at the An/Dn node, then Transfer MFD, and finally Synch MFD. One correction burn and I'm there. Yeah, awkward, but it works. And I know what i do but transX is hard device, it's interface is not intuitive.

Can I get into Off-plane orbit with default MFD's ? Is it actually possible to calculate Off-plane orbit with default MFDs ?
How do I know An/Dn nodes of Earth and Mars orbit to start align exactly there, just for fun :)
thx to all...

i understand that TransX or IMFD is must know

Last edited:

boo

Reaction score
...so, the LAN of orbit and the Delta Velocity is clue to success?

EDIT:
1. LAN of orbit
2. Locus of periapsis
3. Delta Velocity

...right? i mean this is three steps to get to target.

Last edited: