AMSO AMSO-autopilot

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
after the launch autopilot finishes work and puts me in orbit, how do i activate the other autopilot

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
As of right now, there is no TLI (Trans-Lunar Injection) Autopilot. You need to do it "manually" using IMFD. Same for LOI (Lunar Orbit Insertion), and same for TEI (Trans-Earth Injection). Theres a neat little tutorial in the tutorials section that says how to do this using IMFD

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
okay, i saw the tutorial and tried it, but i don't get steps 1-4 of part two. can somebody explain me this steps please?

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
You need IMFD. Download it before you do this. Then it should make much more sense

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
You dont load an auto-pilot into IMFD. You calculate the trajector, then hit the AB (auto burn) key.

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
how do i calculate the trajectory, and if i succeed doing this, i didn's see the AB button

Last edited:

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
And that is where you read the tutorial

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
i looked over the tutorial, and when it says:
Step 3. Press MOD to modify the configuration.
(Here we are going to set the parameters for making IMFD use Apollo-like attitude correction which is more like a "point and shoot" configuration. The next few steps (Step 4 and 5) are optional but mandatory if you wish to continue with this tutorial.
Step 4. Set LambertAP mode to Apollo P30.
(Next step sets IMFD to do a more realistic Apollo-like burn as the real Apollo burns were done. The throttle-down of the main engines were cut offs to a thousandths of a second and this setting makes IMFD cutoff with the same accuracy).

i mess up. first: when i press MOD, does the screen usually changes, and i don't get step 4:
Set LambertAP mode to Apollo P30.

what do i have to do there?

Last edited:

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Start IMFD, and press MNU (its the upper left button). THen press the button that corresponds to "Configuration"

AlphAPollo

Reaction score
okay, that really worked but now i'm stuck in:

E. Set up the IMFD Navagation Computer to Calculate a Free-Return Lunar Interctption
Step 26. Set the LMFD's Operation modes to: "Vel. Frame" by navigating between the 2 pages and useing "Nxt", "Prev", "Set", "(+)", and "(-)" buttons.

what the heck do i do here?

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
aw man...i had problems with this too...um....
Press MOD until the page changes, then see Operation Modes. Change "Offset Disabled" to "Vel. Frame".

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I found the tutorials for IMFD and AMSO very confusing, so you might want to try my 'IMFD/AMSO for dummies':

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3734"]AMSO IMFD5 for dummies[/ame]

nolimitphil

Reaction score
Editing AMSO's Autopilot

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but it's on the topic of AMSO's autopilot and therefore I didn't think a new thread topic was necessary...

Is it possible to edit AMSO's EOI autopilot such that a different Apogee / Perigee and orbital inclination/heading is achieved than the default setting? The idea is to fine-tune flight plans based on historical flights.

According to the AMSO User manual:
The autopilot for Earth orbit insertion will bring you to a perfect circular orbit at the nominal altitude of 101.4 n.mi. (187.7 km) for missions up to Apollo 14 and 90.0 n.mi. (166.7 km) since Apollo 15.

While these orbits work fine, what if I wanted recreate Apollo 8's flight more accurately and achieve a 98 n.mi x 103 n.mi. orbit? Or more importantly, achieve the right heading, which is about 4 degrees more due east than AMSO's generic orbit.

[Self-Edit] I was blatantly wrong about this... AMSO does not use a 'generic' launch heading. Upon investigating the Apollo 8 scenario file, the azimuth is set to the historical orientation, down to three decimal places. But thanks to boogabooga's input, I now know how to change this parameter if I wanted to.

I tried changing the heading of the launch-site and spaceship in the launch scenario file, but all that did was increase the amount of roll the autopilot executed to maintain its original heading.

Cheers.

[Self-Edit]This inquiry has been closed. Thanks, guys.

Last edited: