Question Amsterdam, really as bad as its reputation?

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
thanks guys, i guess i have the choice of trouble or not, ill let the other guys going know that its not as bad as its made out to be (not by a long shot) and that trouble wont find us if we dont look for it

CANT WAIT! wooooo

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Somewhat off-topic, but what do you mean? How's Hamburg's reputation?

Well, just as self-experiment: What do you know about Hamburg? ;)

Unstung

Reaction score
Well, just as self-experiment: What do you know about Hamburg? ;)
It's the second-largest city of Germany (with about 2 million people) and a port city; the area is its own German state. It's in Northern Germany and was in West Germany. I think there are less Turks and extremists in the city compared to others, especially ones in East Germany, such as areas of Berlin.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's the second-largest city of Germany (with about 2 million people) and a port city; the area is its own German state. It's in Northern Germany and was in West Germany. I think there are less Turks and extremists in the city compared to others, especially ones in East Germany, such as areas of Berlin.

:facepalm:Never heard of the Reeperbahn?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No; I sense that is bad? But now I know.

Well, since it is one of the most famous places in Germany, of course! :lol: Also, I don't remember many US soldiers who didn't know it, or didn't travel there once. (But US sailors are generally less annoying than Brits, as long as a battleship crew does not wreck a complete amusement quarter until the MP dares collecting the survivors)

Also HafenCity is another sight there...generally, Amsterdam and Hamburg are similar, but Hamburg is a bit bigger and louder than Amsterdam. You can maybe say, Hamburg is like Amsterdam and Rotterdam merged (Rotterdam has the port, Amsterdam the culture)

Last edited:

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Rotterdam is a piss-hole compaired to Amsterdam.; dirty, a lot of crime and ( not to sound prejudice) too many middle eastern immigrants.
My brother lives in Rotterdam and I've been there many times when I go back home and I feel I constantly need to be aware of my surroundings in Rotterdam ( something I don't constantly feel when i'm in Amsterdam).

Amsterdam has culture and character, something Rotterdam doesn't have either off.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Amsterdam has culture and character, something Rotterdam doesn't have either off.

It is a really beautiful place, if you drive into its port. Just don't loose sight of the water. :lol:

800px-RotterdamMaasNederland.jpg

Pinguinboy

50.000 years old lifeform
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well... if you keep yourself away from drugs, prostitutions and other illegal things... then it's really safe. Also much tourists there, but really nice landmarks! Old Dutch houses, the Canals, the port, the surrounding landscape, the windmills and the (quite cold) sea.

Like IronRain said, you really got to visit Madame Tussaud, the are even wax statues there of President Bush! :lol:

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
woo! my holiday to amsterdam/venice/croatia(for a festival :D) is almost complete! but its got me thinking:

is Amsterdam really as bad as most people make out? it cant be that bad, else it would just dissolve into chaos, wouldnt it?

i know about the legal weed and slack laws on prostitution, but seriously, its still here isnt it? so it cant be so bad (except that accomodation and food will turn out to be expensive)

just so excited!

Woooooooo
-=Grover=-
I've only had good experiences in Amsterdam ;)
That said, I know what rumours you are milling. The only thing that makes Amsterdam at all bad, is all the people from across Europe going there to get off their faces on things they're not allowed to in their home countries.

But if drugs aren't your thing, then there is a wealth of museums and history and such to see.

Gothmog

Reaction score
And of course, you can really stay in a normal hotel in Amsterdam, and not need to pay astronomic prices for beer and the room per hour... :rolleyes:
Well, you do live in Germany after all. To most non-EU foreigners, the major cities in Western Europe are quite expensive, sometimes prohibitively so. At least, this is the case assuming one doesn't want to camp or stay at youth hostels. On the other hand, it does seem to me that food and lodging in just about any major city in the industrialized world can run fairly steep. The OP should just remember--there's regular money, then there's travel money. :)

As for Amsterdam falling to pieces, well, we have semi-legal weed in California. We do have our problems, but it's not because of the weed.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Depends on what you call expensive... you can comfortable stay over night for 30 Euro, if you just select a small guesthouse instead of a typical business travel conference hotel right at the airport or railway station. of course, 30 Euro are a lot of money, but renting a flat or bungalow for a few nights is even more expensive - such kind of stuff pays out if you stay at least a week. And its less comfortable as a good hotel or guesthouse.

bande

Neofita
Reaction score
"BAD reputation"??
I don't know what do you think about it, but where I live Amsterdam is a myth, is seen as the european Vegas, so if anyone tells you "hey I'm going to Amsterdam!!" you can be sure he's going there mainly for two reasons: weed and... ehm... I'm pretty sure you've got it

cmunoz80

Reaction score
Well... if you keep yourself away from drugs, prostitutions and other illegal things... then it's really safe.

I agree with that and personally I consider Amsterdam more than just the 'Las Vegas' of Europe where people only go to experience two specific things. It so great there and there is so much to see, it’s really nice. I've only ever had good experiences there and I go there quite frequently because I absolutely love it. If you do get around to going then I suggest that you try renting one of the Amsterdam apartments and really experience Amsterdam from its good side.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
Amsterdam is a splendid city. Sure, the coffeeshops and the redlight windows might be a bit odd for at first (then again, the Dutch are brilliantly odd people). Lots of museums, parks, great trams, and lovely people

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
When I am fit and of age to travel I will only visit red light areas :p

I will start from Thailand and next to Amsterdam, thanks for the recommendation :D