Anime (Japanese Animation)

Unstung

Reaction score
It's been nearly a year since I wrote my thoughts on Planetes, and since then I've seen a considerable number of animes. I guess that makes me an otaku. Anyways, I've been keeping track of these cartoons and writing short reviews, which can lead me to reliably rate what I've seen. I created four categories to organize the shows: Excellent, Good, Poor, and Terrible. So I will summarize my thoughts on each one. However, some people must watch some anime on O-F, and I've run out of particularly interesting things to watch. So I wonder, what else is there? Overall, I think that, for whatever reason, Japan happens to turn out a volume of cartoons with many interesting ones, unlike the US (particularly nowadays). This list can also be used as a suggestion for any other university student that feels like procrastinating or being useless, or for a general discussion on any anime.

(from best to worst)

Excellent

1. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (both seasons) - Its story and vision of the future are simply superb, especially regarding domestic and international relations. Understanding the characters and their complex world makes it much more enjoyable, so Ghost in the Shell shines by the end of the first season.

2. Steins;Gate - Time travel is the centerpiece and used well, with a quasi-realistic explanation. It's ultimately used repeatedly in response to an increasingly dire situation (a result of the butterfly effect) and has clear effects on the main character, Okabe, who always manages a very entertaining performance, but he's serious when it's expected. The cast provides a superb foil for Okabe, although the many female characters remind the viewer that the story came from a visual novel like School Days (scroll down). Nonetheless, the four central characters can stand on their own and the rest have a good amount of development.

3. Fullmetal Alchemist (and Brotherhood) - This show uses the fascinating idea of swapping hard science with alchemy. But what makes it particularly great is the engrossing, epic journey of the main characters (and the supporting cast is also very good).

4. Cowboy Bebop - Unlike the previous two, this series is entirely episodic and made for a western audience. Its structure is a success, with clear goals for the space bounty hunters. For traditional, cel animation, this is its peak with fluid motion and tons of detail. The characters are mysterious (mostly) with interesting personalities and fascinating backgrounds. Their backgrounds can become very compelling, if not touching. The soundtrack deserves a special mention.

5. Planetes - The realism is more than adequate, with a completely plausable 2070s society, and the cast has some great character development. The relationships between the characters and their actions change over time. Although the story involves collecting space debris, the focus is entirely on the characters and the major events they become unintentionally involved with. It's mostly a lighthearted cartoon with a love theme that develops over the episodes, but it is not intrusive. I already posted a longer review.

6. Area 88 (OVA) - Shin Kazama, a commercial pilot, has been unknowingly signed up as a mercenary fighter pilot in the Middle East and longs to return to civilian life. He has many encounters with things from his past life and his grief can be overwhelming. An assassination attempt on Shin and his encounter with a captured defector are extremely riveting. The other mercenaries are a bunch of soulless, likeable bastards. The ending is brutally bittersweet.

Good

7. Death Note - The first two thirds of the series is great, with a brilliant and suspenseful clash between the intelligences of the main characters, but then things get sloppy. As a result, the lack of cleverness present in the later episodes prevent Death Note from being excellent. The renewed investigation into Light, the protagonist, is far less thought-provoking and suspenseful; if anything, it's a disappointment, but the characters have to inevitably make mistakes for the show to reach a conclusion.

8. The 08th MS Team - Overall, the cartoon is sold. The portrayal of Gundams as "Real Robots" is done superbly and the environment where they fight during the One Year War. The similarities between the battlefield and Vietnam is very intriguing. However, the characters from the 08th team are somewhat too immature for a bunch of professional soldiers. The naive love of two enemies, the main character and his counterpart, is the biggest flaw and unfortunately the central idea.

9. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Despite their initially perceived overused roles, the characters are surprisingly very believable in their motivations. This is no doubt what makes the anime shine, and the characters retain realistic qualities in an unrealistic environment with plenty of unusual religious references. Interactions between all characters often subtly reveal their true feelings, and there is additional time spent specifically on the back story of the major protagonists. It takes time for the show to become engrossing, with seemingly overdone personalities and more action in the first half. Finally Evangelion focuses on character development as funds dry up, which is its raison d'etre, but this leads to unreasonable quality in the final episodes and a very weird alternate ending, The End of Evangelion.

10. Trigun - It's a very western space anime. Initially, the main character, Vash the Stampede, appears to be a coward. As the story progresses and Vash's past is revealed, along with the history of the planet, the story becomes compelling and Vash's motivations make sense. Apparently Wolfwood is given a more thorough, and deserved, treatment in the manga.

11. Area 88 (TV) - This cannot match the OVA. Most of the characters may be the same, but the narrative is more superficial and the consequences are less severe. This does not mean the TV series is bad, but it cannot stand out from other cartoons nearly as much.

12. Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - The animation is fantastic, but the unmemorable characters and their silly, desparate motivations are not. However, the story focuses on the Celestial Being and its interesting purpose: to use their ironically superior weapons in terrorist attacks to end all war against the will of the world powers. The first season ends with significant consequences, but the second season is ridiculous.

Poor

13. Outlaw Star - A barely legal kid (Starwind) and an actual kid (Hawking) get caught up with outlaw business and make enemies out of space pirates by stealing their key to the Galactic Leyline. They steal the best ship in the galaxy and obtain its bio-android guidance system, who has the same boring curiosity during the entire show about why she was made. This cartoon is definitely aimed at a younger audience, and has two additional useless supporting characters; one even disappears frequently. The most interesting ally is killed off very early on, and the fan service in episode 23 is intolerable.

14. Gurren Lagann - It's a deliberately stupid, action-filled mecha show. If one appreciates mindless action, the show can be considered good, but there is nothing to it.

Terrible

15. Sailor Moon - No.

16. School Days - Never.

Actually, it's more difficult to rate these in order than I expected. A few rankings could easily change and I may update the list periodically if a conversation about anime can be sustained.

Last edited:

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
I'd have to put down Space Brothers, and Area 88 as the only anime that I've really enjoyed recently.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've seen too much anime to recall every good example, but off the top of my head, I would suggest Shin Sekai Yori as an excellent show. The plot and setting are difficult to explain without spoilers. It revolves around several children living in a traditional-styled Japenese village, set in a world where everyone has telekinetic abilities. As it progresses more is revealed about the characters, and more interestingly the twisted world it takes place in.

Last year's Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) seems to be highly subjective, but I really enjoyed it. It's an action-oriented show, but has many horror elements, and very compelling characters and a unique setting. It's visually stunning, especially the 'manoeuvre gear' scenes, but frequently rather graphic and extremely disturbing for some viewers.

I haven't seen it myself, but some orbinauts have shown praise for Space Brothers, which has something to do with brothers and space. It looks like it has a realistic portrayal of the void, and some interesting characters.

All three here can be watched for free on Crunchyroll.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Nice list! I would add to excellent one of my personal favs

Lain: serial experiments. Or... Well I guess it's called serial experiments lain.

Last edited:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I haven't watched too many animes, but Space Brothers is one of my favorites. Not only did it have a lot of personal appeal with the space theme, but it also had a really good formula of likable characters, a great soundtrack and every episode leaving me with this warm feeling. Not only that, I really appreciate that it spent entire episodes on the back stories of side characters

I also really enjoyed Attack on Titan, it executed the whole action show thing very well. Knowing some things about the manga though, I must admit it foreshadowed things about certain characters very badly.

In January I started watching Yowmushi Pedal (Yowapeda), a sports anime about cycling. I didn't get around to finishing it, but I enjoyed it and have been meaning to finish it soon along with watching some other shows from the recent wave of sports anime.

Unstung

Reaction score
Last year's Shingeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) seems to be highly subjective, but I really enjoyed it. It's an action-oriented show, but has many horror elements, and very compelling characters and a unique setting. It's visually stunning, especially the 'manoeuvre gear' scenes, but frequently rather graphic and extremely disturbing for some viewers.

I also really enjoyed Attack on Titan, it executed the whole action show thing very well. Knowing some things about the manga though, I must admit it foreshadowed things about certain characters very badly.

That's two more people who like Attack on Titan, so I guess I have to give that a try. I avoided it because it seems unusual. Since Space Brothers has a following here, I also need to look into that one. It has 99 episodes, so that's a commitment.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
One of my favorite animes is [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appleseed_Ex_Machina"]Appleseed Ex Machina[/ame]. I may be biased because I'm a big fan of voice actresses Luci Christian and Hilary Haag. :)

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
One anime I watched a few years back( I don't watch a lot nowadays) was Code Geass. I watched it at first because it had giant robots in it (I watched Gundam 00 too, for that reason), but then the story got my attention. It dwelled on a lot of social issues and controversies, like racism and prejudice, social class conflict, political and governmental instability, etc. Oh, and terrorism. Nevermind the fact that the protagonists WERE the terrorists (at least until the last few episodes).

A few scenes in there were pretty "bloody" and "questionable", and you won't understand the story until you start from Episode 1. There were a few major deaths in there as well, a lot that made me cry a little (or express shock).

Overall, a good anime, but only if you're tolerant and willing to get your cultural values questioned. At least, it had that effect on me. I believe the ending (the original story ran for 2 seasons) was supposed to be interpreted by the audience.

Last edited: