Gaming Any IL-2 Sturmovik fans?

Ark

Reaction score
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IL-2_Sturmovik_(video_game)

Anybody else a huge fan of this game, specifically the 1946 edition that packages all the different expansions? Vanilla 1946 has 256 flyable aircraft, with maps all across Europe, Russia, and the Pacific. The aftermarket mod scene is impressive, with campaigns available to cover every facet of the war not already included in the game's huge campaign library.

My personal favorite mod is the Ultra Pack, which makes several AI planes flyable and has extra jets from the early 50's available.

1946 is available on Steam for $7, it's gotta be the best combat flight sim deal out there.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I got the first one in a bundle with Pacific fighters and lockon...sadly I lost the disk and haven't been able to find it...ill check out the one on steam

Ark

Reaction score
Buying it on Steam makes the modding a little bit harder because of the new file location, but I was able to apply the latest patches and Ultra Pack without much trouble. I had some crazy graphical problems until I turned off the Steam overlay, and had to go into the config file to get it working in 1600x900. The only thing graphically that annoys me now is no AA.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Long time fan here.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I used to ONLY fly IL-2 at one point. It was my main virtual activity for a good couple of years, if not more. I own each and every published CD/DVD, since the first "IL-2 Sturmovik" (November 2001).

MGalleryItem.php

My squadron's website at http://www.tuttovola.org is the homebase of many international (IL2WAR) tournaments.

Our HL tag is "ITAF" (Italian Fighters).

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
i started from Forgotten battles (my first ever flight sim :p) and worked up to 1946

this is where i learned to fly!

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Buying it on Steam makes the modding a little bit harder because of the new file location, but I was able to apply the latest patches and Ultra Pack without much trouble. I had some crazy graphical problems until I turned off the Steam overlay, and had to go into the config file to get it working in 1600x900. The only thing graphically that annoys me now is no AA.
With Nvidia GPUs you can go into the Nvidia Control Panel (Right-click your desktop) and set AA for any program that doesn't have it by default, I'm pretty sure you can set up something similar with other GPU manufacturers too.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Got the first IL-2 on a CD from a magazine. Maybe I'll get 1946 soon. The nice thing about it is that it has nice graphics, but can be played with payable hardware.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Yes!

IL2 Sturmovik: Forgotten Battles was my first flight sim, then I worked my way up to IL2 Sturmovik: 1946 and IL2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey.

I love it mainly for the dynamic campaigns and the full mission builder (you could do anything with that!).

There are some great mods lying around such as Ultr@pack, which adds theatres like: Battle of Britain and the siege of Malta.

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
IL-2 is my favorite flight sim, by far. I've always had problems making skins with other games, but with the blank ones provided I can fart together a new skin in 5 mins, and prfessional ones aren't a pain in the butt.
The damage model is cool too. Not that I crash on purpose, nope, don't do that at all :shifty:

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I liked it, but I could never get used to the control schemes, I failed incredibly hard at it.

Ark

Reaction score
IL-2 is my favorite flight sim, by far. I've always had problems making skins with other games, but with the blank ones provided I can fart together a new skin in 5 mins, and prfessional ones aren't a pain in the butt.
The damage model is cool too. Not that I crash on purpose, nope, don't do that at all :shifty:

The damage model is still extremely impressive by today's graphical standards. Nothing is quite as satisfying as shearing the entire tail off your target or seeing a Betty explode and rain debris everywhere.

Gotta love landing with ailerons shot up, oil on the windshield, and fuel leaking. :lol:

Dickie

Wannabe Rocket Scientist
Donator
Reaction score
Aha, what a co-incidence - I've just reinstalled IL2:1946 to have another go at today and was about to ask the following:

Whenever I start up a mission in IL2 and get airborne, I get some guy on the radio giving me what appear to be random heights/ranges etc. Does anybody know:

a) Are these for you?
b) If so, what are they? Vectors to targets? Patrol waypoints?
c) If they are relevant, what units are they? Feet? Metres?

I've googled it before but have never been able to find an answer! :facepalm:

Ark

Reaction score
I tend to ignore them, but I think they are callouts for your mission waypoints. So, if you wanna go ultra-realistic, you turn off all the minimap stuff and navigate by flying at the indicated altitude and heading. Pretty sure it's in imperial units, which is all the more reason for me to ignore them because I fly by meters and km/hr.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Aha, what a co-incidence - I've just reinstalled IL2:1946 to have another go at today and was about to ask the following:

Whenever I start up a mission in IL2 and get airborne, I get some guy on the radio giving me what appear to be random heights/ranges etc. Does anybody know:

a) Are these for you?
b) If so, what are they? Vectors to targets? Patrol waypoints?
c) If they are relevant, what units are they? Feet? Metres?

I've googled it before but have never been able to find an answer! :facepalm:
That sounds almost like the copy protection in Silent Hunter 3--if the game decided you didn't have a legit copy, your crew would be shouting out random numbers and letters constantly...

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score

[OFFTOPIC]

You know, you don't have to type an annoying one word post or a single smilie, just 'Thank' his message, saves space and prevents clutter. ;)

[/OFFTOPIC]