Problem Apollo 12 Terrain problem

riclourenco

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a problem with the terrain I installed for Apollo 12 from the "Apollo Landing Sites for Orbiter 2016" website. On the landing site, there are places where the LM and/or astronauts are below the ground, and in others they are above. Here are some prints:

Is there any way to fix this problem? Interestingly, in the Apollo 12 mission I did previously, this did not happen this way.

Thanks,

Regards

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Did you follow the instructions for setting this up?

Specifically this:

"I strongly suggest to use these texture packs with Orbiter2016 Beta+D3D9Client, as it significantly improves the attainable resolution. With the current versions, the best visual results could be achieved by setting surface elevation mode to "linear interpolation" and max. resolution level to 18 in Visual effects menu. Please also make sure that you can see the following settings in the Moon config file (could be either Config\Moon.cfg, Config\ProjectApollo\Moon.cfg, Config\AMSO\Moon.cfg or any other, depending on the scenario)"

riclourenco

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Did you follow the instructions for setting this up?

Specifically this:

"I strongly suggest to use these texture packs with Orbiter2016 Beta+D3D9Client, as it significantly improves the attainable resolution. With the current versions, the best visual results could be achieved by setting surface elevation mode to "linear interpolation" and max. resolution level to 18 in Visual effects menu. Please also make sure that you can see the following settings in the Moon config file (could be either Config\Moon.cfg, Config\ProjectApollo\Moon.cfg, Config\AMSO\Moon.cfg or any other, depending on the scenario)"
Hello,

Thanks! yes I am using Orbiter2016 Beta+D3D9ClientBeta30.7-forBETA r90(r1436). I checked the settings and I just had to change the max. resolution level from 19 to 18, and the Mesh Resolution from 32 to 64. But unfortunately it didn't help. The last time I did Apollo 12, the terrain was fine, although sometimes the astronauts' feet were a little below the terrain or above, but nothing like this. You could go down into craters and out of them, for example. I have no idea why it's like this now, I haven't changed anything, except the NASSP version, which I don't think will have anything to do with it.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks! yes I am using Orbiter2016 Beta+D3D9ClientBeta30.7-forBETA r90(r1436). I checked the settings and I just had to change the max. resolution level from 19 to 18, and the Mesh Resolution from 32 to 64. But unfortunately it didn't help. The last time I did Apollo 12, the terrain was fine, although sometimes the astronauts' feet were a little below the terrain or above, but nothing like this. You could go down into craters and out of them, for example. I have no idea why it's like this now, I haven't changed anything, except the NASSP version, which I don't think will have anything to do with it.
this will probably be a question for @ggalfi as the developer of these textures

ggalfi

Reaction score
I checked the settings and I just had to change the max. resolution level from 19 to 18, and the Mesh Resolution from 32 to 64. But unfortunately it didn't help. The last time I did Apollo 12, the terrain was fine, although sometimes the astronauts' feet were a little below the terrain or above, but nothing like this. You could go down into craters and out of them, for example. I have no idea why it's like this now, I haven't changed anything, except the NASSP version, which I don't think will have anything to do with it.
I'm not sure about what's going on here. Albeit it is not desirable but a normal behaviour of Orbiter2016 beta - especially when the surface is really uneven - that the visual and physical terrain is inconsistent, sometimes up to a meter or so. On the other hand if earlier it was better for you, the only thing I can suspect is that something has overwritten the MaxPatchResolution in Config\ProjectApollo\Moon.cfg (that is the config file which NASSP uses and not the Config\Moon.cfg). I checked the most recent NASSP version of the Orbiter2016 branch, and it is correct there, but if you pulled another branch/version it may have a different value for MaxPatchResolution.

riclourenco

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thank you very much. Next time after updating the NASSP, i will check these settings and correct them if necessary, before starting a new mission, to see if the same thing happens.