Apollo 13 direct return burn

mrlucmorin

Reaction score
Hi all,

In the Apollo 13 movie, we see discussions about the possibility of a direct return burn using the SM's rocket.

I'd like to know how this would be accomplished, as my (limited) understanding of orbital mechanism makes me think that even if they were to burn retrograde, then this would bring their periapsis too low.

Can anyone explain how such a maneuver could be done in real life ?

Cheers

Ravenous

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
There's a bit about this on Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_13

- look for the section "Crew survival and return journey".

It seems to say there a total burn of 1,853 m/s would have been needed - possibly including jettison of the LM itself (there seem to be a few methods).

Also it wouldn't have been exactly retrograde - there would have been a "sideways" component to keep a safe perigee.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how such a maneuver could be done in real life ?

Also it wouldn't have been exactly retrograde - there would have been a "sideways" component to keep a safe perigee.

That's correct. Before they even left Earth orbit they got the numbers from Mission Control to do a abort burn 90 minutes after the Trans Lunar Injection (TLI). And then on the way to the moon the astronauts got a few numbers to calculate a direct return burn with the on-board computer. Not as precise as something calculated on the ground, but that way they didn't have to waste so much time writing down numbers for something they didn't plan to do anyway.

All of these abort burns would have used the Command Module engine, which I guess wasn't an option to use anymore.

mrlucmorin

Reaction score
Apparently my other reply post didn't make it through, so let me try again.

Thank you guys for the information.

I can now picture the kind of burn that would have been needed, but I'm not too sure what kind of math is involved in "accurately" determining the orientation of the ship and the time and duration of the burn.

I was looking into the one tangent burn here. This seem related somehow, but the math still eludes me.

Can anyone offer some insight ?

Regards

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't really know how Mission Control (or rather the RTCC) would have calculated a direct return burn, but I know some stuff about the onboard computer capability. The Apollo Guidance Computer had the Program 37 "Return to Earth Targeting", which would have calculated such a burn in the case of a total communication systems failure.

The program had two modes: time critical and fuel critical. In the case of a direct return burn the time critical mode would have been used. The computer only needed two numbers from the ground for this: ignition time and velocity change. The AGC then can calculate a burn, that leads to the shortest time to reentry that is possible with the desired velocity change. The number for the desired velocity change was chosen to 1.) be within the capability of the CSM engine and 2.) to have the spacecraft splashdown at the correct coordinates (or rather longitude. The return burn wouldn't have had an out-of-plane component).

The calculation for all that is pretty complicated, but I can go into details if you want. It basically was an iterative process that iterated over an independent variable until all constraints were satisfied (reentry angle, minimized time etc.). The AGC then calculates the necessary velocity vector at ignition and with that it knows in which direction and how long to burn the engine.

Feel free to ask more questions. If you want you could try this with the Virtual AGC in NASSP. I have done the aforementioned TLI+90 abort with an Apollo 8 scenario, but not one of the later direct return burns. But Program 37 works in NASSP.

dman

Reaction score
Mission Control rejected using SM engine to perform a retrograde burn for return to earth

While it would have been quicker return to earth they did not know the status of the engine and associated piping and tankage following the O2 tank explosion. With the hypergolic fuels used any leaks would have resulted in an explosion

A retrograde direct return burn using descent stage of LM would have consumed most if not all the fuel - leaving little in case further course correction needed

As it was needed several burns of LM engine, first the "get home" burn to put it on course back to earth, followed by PC +2 (2 hours after closest distance from moon, pericynthion) which cut 10 hours off trip, then several short course correction burns

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
Mission Control rejected using SM engine to perform a retrograde burn for return to earth

While it would have been quicker return to earth they did not know the status of the engine and associated piping and tankage following the O2 tank explosion. With the hypergolic fuels used any leaks would have resulted in an explosion

A retrograde direct return burn using descent stage of LM would have consumed most if not all the fuel - leaving little in case further course correction needed

As it was needed several burns of LM engine, first the "get home" burn to put it on course back to earth, followed by PC +2 (2 hours after closest distance from moon, pericynthion) which cut 10 hours off trip, then several short course correction burns

If I recall correctly, the emergency return burn required that they ditch the LM before the burn because there wasn't enough fuel in the SPS to perform the burn with the LM attached. So using the SPS with its unknown condition and having to ditch the LM first was probably to much risk. Plus, using the LM as a lifeboat had been looked into many years earlier and so pulling out that research and using that as a starting point looked a lot less riskier than trying to come home AFAP. Also, using the SPS required a lot of power (all 3 fuel cells PLUS the batteries), which they didn't have once the fuel cells shut down.

As it was, the SPS was knocked out of alignment by the O2 tank explosion and probably wouldn't have worked had they tried to use it. They didn't discover this until they dropped the SM just before reentry.

2 Sources of information on all the Apollo missions:

Apollo Lunar Surface Journal

Apollo Flight Journal

I spent the better part of 18 months reading both these sites completely about 8 years ago during my 1 hour lunch breaks. They have both expanded considerably since then.

Dantassii

Last edited:

dman

Reaction score
If I recall correctly, the emergency return burn required that they ditch the LM before the burn.

Dantassii

Jettisoning the LM before the retrograde SM burn was based on assumption
that the SM engine (SMS) was in good shape

The explosion in the SM bay meant that the SMS was questionable at best

The risk of explosion was too great Better to depend on the LM descent
stage

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Jettisoning the LM before the retrograde SM burn was based on assumption
that the SM engine (SMS) was in good shape

The explosion in the SM bay meant that the SMS was questionable at best

The risk of explosion was too great Better to depend on the LM descent
stage
The engine on the SM was called the Service (Module) Propulsion System or SPS. The LM Descent Stage engine was called the Descent Propulsion System or DPS. The ascent stage engine was the Ascent Propulsion System or APS.

mrlucmorin

Reaction score
The calculation for all that is pretty complicated, but I can go into details if you want. It basically was an iterative process that iterated over an independent variable until all constraints were satisfied (reentry angle, minimized time etc.). The AGC then calculates the necessary velocity vector at ignition and with that it knows in which direction and how long to burn the engine.

Hey indy, if you don't mind I'd definitely like to see how all the different calculations are done. I mean, I can see the formulas on some website, but I lack the background to transpose them onto the problem.

So to put it in words, we must find the direction of thrust and the delta V required to take an orbit with an apoapsis reaching out to moon altitude, and turn it into an orbit with a much lower apoapsis, without ruining the periapsis. I hope I'm using the right language :)

Cheers

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So to put it in words, we must find the direction of thrust and the delta V required to take an orbit with an apoapsis reaching out to moon altitude, and turn it into an orbit with a much lower apoapsis, without ruining the periapsis. I hope I'm using the right language :)

Cheers

EDIT: I got a little bit confused with the angle conventions. The flight-path angles are measured from the local vertical, not the local horizontal as usual.

Yeah, that is about right.

I'll try to not make it too complicated, but I will need orbital mechanics and vectors for the explanation.

I have taken a quicksave of the Apollo 8 mission I flew with NASSP at about 12h GET (Ground Elapsed Time) into the flight and extracted the position and velocity vector relative to the Earth. Then I looked at the Apollo Flight Journal and found the so called P37 Block Data. I decided to use the numbers for a return burn at 45h into the mission. That burn would have used a deltaV of 6208 ft/s.

Before I start with the maths, I'll talk about my notation a little bit. For the time indizes I will use:

0 = Time of my scenario (12h GET)
1 = Time of the direct return burn (45h GET)
2 = Time of reaching the Entry Interface (400,000 feet above the Earth)

The basic problem of calculating the return burn is only a few equations and can be almost solved analytically. What has to be done, is basically varying the flight path angle, until we get the desired reentry trajectory. The most important equation is:

[MATH]p = \frac{2 R_1 (\frac{R_1}{R_2}-1)}{(\frac{R_1}{R_2})^2(1+x(t_2)^2)-(1+x(t_1)^2)}[/MATH]
p = parameter of the orbit
R1 = Radius at time 1 (radius at the burn time)
R2 = Radius at time 2 (Entry Interface radius)

[MATH]x(t_1)=\cot(\gamma)[/MATH] Indepdent variable x. We have to selected the correct value, so that it meets our requirements, in this case the desired velocity change of 6208 ft/s.

[MATH]x(t_2)=\cot(\gamma_r)[/MATH]
gamma_r is the reentry angle. The AGC has a quartic function to calculate the angle depending on reentry velocity. A higher reentry velocity means a steeper reentry, so that the Crew Module doesn't skip out of the atmosphere. For simplicity I will just use an angle of -6.5° [from the local horizontal].

Now to the vector maths:

[MATH]\boldsymbol{V}_2(t_1)=\frac{\sqrt{\mu_E}}{R_1} \sqrt{p}(x(t_1) \boldsymbol{u}_{R1}+\boldsymbol{u}_H)[/MATH]
V2 = the velocity vector at the time 1 we have to achieve, to reach the direct return trajectory.
mu_E = the standard gravitational parameter of the Earth
U_R1 = the unit vector of R1
U_H = The the local horizontal unit vector

The deltaV vector is then

[MATH]\Delta \boldsymbol{V} = \boldsymbol{V}_2(t_1)-\boldsymbol{V}_1(t_1)[/MATH]
I have plotted the independent variable x(t1) against the required delta V:

WvY62ve.png

This is almost a linear function and it can be easily seen, that we get the desired velocity change at about x= -3.2, which corresponds to a flight path angle of about -17° [EDIT: Actually -73° measured from the local horizontal].

With that I have plotted the trajectories in the Earth-Moon-System:

mvSa4ii.png

The blue line is the trajectory before the direct return burn and the green line is the trajectory after the burn. The red line is the trajectory of the moon.

Before the burn the orbit had a periapsis radius of 5111 km and a apoapsis radius of 556,230 km. After the burn the periapsis becomes 6408 km and the apoapsis 379,550 km.

I have made many simplifications with the equations. The AGC implemention also accounts for:

-reentry angle based on reentry velocity
-Earth is an ellipsoid, not a sphere with a constant radius and gravity field
-gravitational influence of the moon and sun

To incorporate this stuff, the AGC has to do an iterative process, where the values for x are limited, et cetera, et cetera.

As you can see, you can make this infinitely complicated :lol:

Last edited:

richfororbit

Reaction score
Since I saw this topic, and I haven't much of any clue on the calculations of what was expressed in the above posts.

But I was thinking about this the other night, what if that explosion that took place had happened while the craft was in orbit docked with the module?

Could that module of been much help, whether it was a small eliptical oribt or near circular. Eliptical is correct? Or was ecliptical.:uhh:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've taken a look at the Apollo Experience Report about Abort Planning and yes, it seems the DPS (Descent Propulsion System) of the Lunar Module had just about enough fuel to do the TEI (Trans Earth Injection) burn in the case of an early abort. In this scenario the CSM+LM stack has already successfully reached a lunar orbit, so the tanks for the CSM engine would have been half empty at that point.

Who knows, if that would have worked out...