Apollo 15 Post Orbital Insertion Procedures Question

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I don’t think you can get amp-hrs from that, Watts, volts, amps, doesn’t tell you how big the battery or cell is. Sorta like a tank of water, I can develop a pressure and a flow with a pump, but it doesn’t tell me how big the tank is. Maybe you can calculate how many watts or amps will run average for how many hours it’s needed, then add a safety factor of some sort.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A question about the power-down battery configuration. My LM seems to have a slightly different setup than Falcon did, is there a way to set things up to somewhat closely achieve the end result?

And on the Lunar Surface Checklist Pg 2-9, they recorded values for battery amp-hours. My Ohms law knowledge is shaky, but I can read the volts and the amps, and from that figure out how many watts, but how do I get an amp-hr value with that info?

And on the same subject, after configuring for power down, how many watts should I be burning? There are some systems cycling on/off but my watts vary anywhere between 1000 and 1700. Seems like a lot?
So a disclaimer, our electrical system is very "cheaty" at the moment so take readings with a grain of salt...

That being said, since we dont have J mission LM configurations yet and basically "cheat" by increasing the current consumables in those vehicles, you wont get the same readings as actual, and of course you dont have a true lunar stay battery that Ah has been combined with the older 4 battery configuration.

Just follow the powerdown as it is listed in the lunar surface checklist for 15 and dont worry about the battery switching you can leave them on HI TAPS since your lunar battery capacity is integrated into those 4. You should have plenty of power following that for your extended stay.

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don’t think you can get amp-hrs from that, Watts, volts, amps, doesn’t tell you how big the battery or cell is. Sorta like a tank of water, I can develop a pressure and a flow with a pump, but it doesn’t tell me how big the tank is. Maybe you can calculate how many watts or amps will run average for how many hours it’s needed, then add a safety factor of some sort.
They already knew the total full capacity, so by taking battery readings they could determine the remaining storage of the batteries. Even the lunar rover had a Amp Hour remaining display on it.

Wedge313

Reaction score
You should have plenty of power following that for your extended stay.

OK then! I guess I'll plug in the XBox, microwave some popcorn and settle in for a couple days.

But I'm still curious how they figured out an amp-hr value. That seems like something they would know before they launch (ie "your batteries have a total of XXXX Amp-Hours available"). Then it's not hard to work out your power usage (ie I've got 1000 Ah batteries, I'm using 100 amps, I'm good for ten hours).

EDIT: I just saw your last post. So they did know the Ah available when they start, they're just working out how much they've used and what's left?

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK then! I guess I'll plug in the XBox, microwave some popcorn and settle in for a couple days.

But I'm still curious how they figured out an amp-hr value. That seems like something they would know before they launch (ie "your batteries have a total of XXXX Amp-Hours available"). Then it's not hard to work out your power usage (ie I've got 1000 Ah batteries, I'm using 100 amps, I'm good for ten hours).

EDIT: I just saw your last post. So they did know the Ah available when they start, they're just working out how much they've used and what's left?
Pretty much yes, the starting capacity was known so determining consumption and what was remaining was not hard.

EDIT: To clarify, extended stay LM's had 2 0.75Ah Pyro (ED) batteries, 4 415Ah DES batteries, 1 415Ah "Lunar Stay" battery, and 2 296Ah ASC batteries. This yielded a total of 2075Ah in the descent stage alone.

Last edited:

Wedge313

Reaction score
First EVA. Managed to get the CDR onto the surface (EVA on the ProjectApolloMFD ECS). But how do I get him back into the LM?

thermocalc

Reaction score
Hi Wedge313, out of curiosity did you get the Lunar Rover with you?? wondering if it is already implemented or not ? if I remember well from the OLD NASSP version .... back to old days <2014 i guess ... the LRV was there .... as said, just curiosity ... and by the way Happy X'mas.

Wedge313

Reaction score
out of curiosity did you get the Lunar Rover with you??
I don't think so (?). If it's there I haven't seen it. Maybe some secret keyboard command that I'm not aware of?

Meanwhile I took a stroll (skate? slide?) over to the rille (just to grab a few selfies), and the strange thing is that, even though this is a simulation that I'm running on my laptop, when I turned around and looked back in the direction of the LM (which was out of sight), I actually got a sense of the complete isolation these guys must have felt. Heading back to the LM, as the distant speck slowly grew larger, their only link to the Earth, was an interesting sensation. Maybe it was just that my morning cup of coffee hadn't kicked in yet. But it was just another moment that made me appreciate the NASSP simulation.

And, when I started the simulation yesterday, I got a nice "merry christmas from Orbiter sound" message on the bottom of the screen. So I guess I should fire off a quick card to reciprocate.

But I digress. No, I didn't see the Lunar Rover.

thermocalc

Reaction score
You are humorous as usual Wedge313, I like reading you .... you must be a cheerfully person :salute: ...actually, what you said about "feelings to be on the moon..." i may say I experienced similar feelings myself, not in NASSP, but when I was using AMSO and doing the EVA missions ... in more of one occasion when I lost visual contact with the LM or even if it was becoming smaller and smaller I do feel a sense of "loneliness", "discomfort", and even "anxiety" with my hart beats raising ... silly I know .... but only going in external view to see where i was relative to the LM made me feel better .... so yes, with these simulators, depending on which level of realisms you want to immerse yourself, you may experience some weird feelings .... and I do appreciate more and more with NASSP, trying doing the real procedures, how difficult it was going there and how brave they were to handle of those emotions...all the best for the new year and your trip back to Earth. Bye