Question Apollo 2: EDS Abort at liftoff (and other questions)

Wedge313

Reaction score
Hello,

I thought I'd give the Apollo 2 mission a try, and I hit a glitch right away. Immediately after liftoff the LES fires and the CM separates from the launch vehicle.

I experimented a bit. Obviously turning the EDS switch off avoids the abort. More specifically if I leave the EDS in Auto and turn the L/V Rates switch to Off it avoids the abort. Looking at the external view you can see that the booster has a very pronounced wobble at liftoff. It takes a second for it to stabilize.

I've attached a .scn. I was wondering what's going on here, and what I need to correct to avoid it?

Going forward with the mission, I'm not clear what to expect. I see the Flight Plan on the MFD, I see the "RTCC Inputs" section, and I would guess that will guide me through the RTCC steps to launch Spider and all the other necessary maneuvers?

Is there a "Apollo 2 For Dummies" guide somewhere? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• T -15sec.zip
    48.5 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I thought I'd give the Apollo 2 mission a try, and I hit a glitch right away. Immediately after liftoff the LES fires and the CM separates from the launch vehicle.

I experimented a bit. Obviously turning the EDS switch off avoids the abort. More specifically if I leave the EDS in Auto and turn the L/V Rates switch to Off it avoids the abort. Looking at the external view you can see that the booster has a very pronounced wobble at liftoff. It takes a second for it to stabilize.

I've attached a .scn. I was wondering what's going on here, and what I need to correct to avoid it?
The wobble is because the default ground isn't flat at the LC-34 pad.
NASSP incudes some elev_mod tiles to patch it, but if you share a texture install with Orbiter 2016 they can get overwritten.
Try re-copying the Textures folder from your NASSP zip and allow it to overwrite files.

Going forward with the mission, I'm not clear what to expect. I see the Flight Plan on the MFD, I see the "RTCC Inputs" section, and I would guess that will guide me through the RTCC steps to launch Spider and all the other necessary maneuvers?
So there is no real flightplan obviously. Checklist MFD will cover the entire flight. The plan is very similar to Apollo 9.
The RTCC guide will go through step-by-step everything you need to do.

Is there a "Apollo 2 For Dummies" guide somewhere? Any advice is appreciated.
Haha, well... That would be... me. ;)
If you get stuck on something, please ask!