Question Apollo CSM Power Up/ Power Down Procedure

Renegade

Reaction score
Hello :)

How can I power down the CSM capsule completely and from a cold & dark situation power the CSM up?
Is there a Power UP/ Power Down procedure?

Regards ;)

rcflyinghokie

LM Junky
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello :)

How can I power down the CSM capsule completely and from a cold & dark situation power the CSM up?
Is there a Power UP/ Power Down procedure?

Regards ;)
Are we talking on the launch pad or in flight? There was never a true "cold and dark" procedure other than the sequence to get the CM powered up over the course of a few days on the pad or Apollo 13's entry powerup procedure which was devised for a low power situation.

Renegade

Reaction score
I am talking about the launch pad. Like an aircraft, you should have the option to turn ground power/capsule on from scratch (cold & dark), like pushing in circuit breakers, to wake up the system from the bottom up.

Regards;)

Thymo

I like breaking things
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nassp.space
We have very little documentation on the activities before T-4:00. Recently we got a new document that has more details on this which may allow us to supply a scenario from earlier in pre-launch but this is still some time away.

The best method of powering down the CSM is to use the procedure as used on Apollo 13. For powering up, look up the relevant procedures in the AOH and improvise what is missing. You do need to know that without the proper ground equipment you may run into trouble with the fuel cells as these can not be started on internal consumables only.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I am talking about the launch pad. Like an aircraft, you should have the option to turn ground power/capsule on from scratch (cold & dark), like pushing in circuit breakers, to wake up the system from the bottom up.

Regards;)
Not impossible, but definitely a long ways down the road for us. And there is a lot of documentation that would need to be sorted out. Keep in mind that this is a multi-day process, some of which is simply waiting for things to fill or heat up.

There are also a whole bunch of system tests that were done on the ground. We would need to know what those were, when they occured, and simulate the reliant parameters that the test involves. In the current state of our simulation "cold and dark" would be something like: connect GSE power and wait for the fuel cells to heat up for about 20 hours. Not really worth simulating until we have more details on what else was going on when.

It's important to remember that as complex as the Apollo spacecraft is, the systems and infrastructure that support it are vastly more numerous and complicated.

dak4482

Reaction score
Any chance you can provide a link to that new document?