Project Architect Development

Aev

The Architect
Donator
Reaction score
All right. Recently finished setting up a brand new computer. Time to get back to work

4throck said:
Here's an example of what can be done using the OpenStreetMaps data:
http://map.f4-group.com/#lat=28.4619...361931&zoom=16

Display the 3D map on that site and you will see trees, fences, generic building shapes, all generated from the available data...

Interesting. Bookmarked, but any features involving this (if any) will mostly likely be added after the first stable release of Architect; unfortunately, it still has lowest priority

Phoenix said:
A few ideas.

It'd be great to see taxiways using bezier curves and radiused corners at intersections with runways, aprons and other taxiways. It would also be a nice feature to have configurable runway markings, similar/better to what I did with my Configurable Runway System addon: Configurable Runway System .

I am not sure how the future version of Orbiter intends drawing runways when terrain is taken into account, but would it be possible to render taxiways, runways, airfield grass and other surface-flush features directly onto surface base tiles? These tiles would conform to local elevations.

Good luck with your project.

I can definitely say that runway creation will be much easier. It was what I was working on last before I had to cease development years ago. :thumbup:

As suggested by other users, I may contact other developers/designers and request permission to bundle some of their work as default content (textures, meshes, etc) with the program (along with appropriate credit). When that time comes, expect such a request, Phoenix.

4throck said:
Also don't know about the future Orbiter terrain engine, but in FlightSim they use a ground exclusion area, meaning that the terrain under the base is flat (but set to the appropriate general elevation).

So I wouldn't worry about it. Simply add a global Z offset to the base. For individual objects the parameter is already there and it works OK.

Assuming it's that simple, accommodating terrain wouldn't be an obstacle at all. Lets wait and see what the devs have in mind.

RisingFury said:
I'm glad to see you working on this project and that you're writing everything directly into the CFG file. Makes it much easier to make changes by hand

Thanks! Earlier I said that I may be able to use the config file. I can definitely confirm that this is what I'll be doing now. :cheers:

Aev

The Architect
Donator
Reaction score
Hey again,

I was originally going to place this in a blog entry, but decided not to. The reason for this are:

1) I completed a very significant amount of work with this project and instead of discussing possibilities as I have been, I'd rather have a presentation for the soon approaching time when I'll be able to actually show you my work instead. The outline of the GUI I planned to include in this past weekend's post will be included in the following entry in addition to the more in depth "presentation".

2) This week is one the few extremely busy lengths of time during a year for me; it's 7 days where I'm forced to take time away from all other projects (including this one) and devote it to several important tests. I'll resume work on this during the upcoming weekend when I'm no longer forced to invest so much time and energy elsewhere

Regards!