Discussion area flattening experiment - SUCCESS

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The impressive prove-of-concept is still a "hack", so minor issues are to be expected.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It is weird that the shadow of the untouched area are high.

My guess is that the shadows are calculated for the height at the base position, not for each individual building.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Indeed... Here the best fix would be to remove ground shadows from base blocks.
It's already common practice to do that (mesh flag) for launch pad / tower meshes.

llarian

Reaction score
Still think I'm doing something wrong. I'm trying to flatten an area on Mars at Pavonis Mons. I've written a file called PavonisMons.flt and stored it in Textures/Mars/Flat. It contains one line:

Rect 100 0.5 -112.5 5000 1000 0 50

Zo, I'm trying to flatten an area 5000 m x 1000 m at a latitude of .5 and a longitude of -112.5 (112.5 W) to 100m just for a test.

Can't see it. Any suggestions?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Still think I'm doing something wrong. I'm trying to flatten an area on Mars at Pavonis Mons. I've written a file called PavonisMons.flt and stored it in Textures/Mars/Flat. It contains one line:

Rect 100 0.5 -112.5 5000 1000 0 50

Zo, I'm trying to flatten an area 5000 m x 1000 m at a latitude of .5 and a longitude of -112.5 (112.5 W) to 100m just for a test.

Can't see it. Any suggestions?

First longitude then latitude

Code:
RECT 100 -112.5 0.5 5000 1000 0 50

llarian

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Rather excited about this development for 2016.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes, it's confusing because it doesn't follow coordinate convention.
But base definitions are like that, and the reasoning behind this is to flatten bases :)

Indeed. I initially had it reversed as well, but quickly ran into the mismatch while copy/pasting base coordinates.

llarian

Reaction score
Still playing with it. I do not see any surface flattening at the site on Pavonis Mons. However I do know that something is occurring. If I rotate the camera view to view under the surface, I do notice an effect much like a cone under the surface and reaching up to the surface but no surface flattening. Sorry I forgot to take a screen capture.

Is the one line sufficient in the .flt file or are more needed?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I want to try this at Moonbase Alpha. So the shape is a rectangle. The elevation is ?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Still playing with it. I do not see any surface flattening at the site on Pavonis Mons. However I do know that something is occurring. If I rotate the camera view to view under the surface, I do notice an effect much like a cone under the surface and reaching up to the surface but no surface flattening. Sorry I forgot to take a screen capture.

Is the one line sufficient in the .flt file or are more needed?

One line is sufficient, and it works as designed. What you see is the consequence of digging a hole to MSL 100 when the terrain is at MSL 12600. The cone is due to the 50% falloff desperately trying to make up for the huge level difference :lol: .

llarian

Reaction score
Isn't learning fun? :rofl:

Besides, if I volunteer to ask the dumb questions, it might save you from having to answer them again and again. Might even help improve the documentation. :blink:

Thanks, guys.

Edit: Latest test worked fantastically! Guess I really shouldn't be testing at 0300. Daylight is so much better.

One line is sufficient, and it works as designed. What you see is the consequence of digging a hole to MSL 100 when the terrain is at MSL 12600. The cone is due to the 50% falloff desperately trying to make up for the huge level difference :lol: .

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Besides, if I volunteer to ask the dumb questions, it might save you from having to answer them again and again. Might even help improve the documentation. :blink:

Documentation? Never heard that word, what kind of exotic fruit is this, if I might ask? :rofl:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
if I volunteer to ask the dumb questions

The question was not dumb.
If you aren't used to terrain mesh resolution, point interpolation, etc some results might seem confusing.

A good starting point is to define a large area for flattening. For example 3 or 4 km.
It should be easily visible. Then experiment until you get what you need. Best way to learn.

---------- Post added at 22:56 ---------- Previous post was at 22:51 ----------

The elevation is ?
Surface MFD displays altitude...

llarian

Reaction score
Thanks 4throck. Truly the only dumb question is the one unasked. The truth is I did know. Because I was working primarily on Mars and in its highlands, I had disregarded height above MSL and confused myself with what I was seeing when I went looking under the surface.

My thanks to Face and fred18 and all of you who worked on this. It will make base preparation much more convenient and I do hope that Dr. Martin will incorporate it into the core.

Work well done, gentlemen.

acsheehy

Reaction score
Face - you are a star. I am now able to recreate the locations in my books and fly to them. Brilliant!marinaris-flatten.pngMars Base 1 Sunrise.pngMars Base 1.png

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Nice to see that it is actually helpful to someone. Wow, already more than a year old now.

acsheehy

Reaction score
Nice to see that it is actually helpful to someone. Wow, already more than a year old now.
Opportunity.png
Yes. I can get away with adding ground coloured bases to smaller items, but the larger items need subtle help even on roughly level ground.AireySpacePort.png
And of course, for runways, which, on Mars, have to be a lot longer than usual. The good thing is, that most of Mars is underground, so you only have to have what sits on the surface. You just have to use your imagination and see those three pads as elevator pads with a full hanger and administration buildings underneath... with an underground rail line that connects the city you see above...