Ashes - Australia v England - 2010/11

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Well, I know it is rather early to be starting this thread, but I am itching for some vengeance so I couldn't help myself. This Cricinfo article also inspired me:
http://www.cricinfo.com/england-v-australia-2010/content/current/story/464122.html
If there is a future for 50-over cricket, then surely it lies in contests such as this: a five-match hors d'oeuvre that is decidedly and unashamedly geared towards more significant encounters in the not-so-distant future.
English teams have invariably performed better when the one-dayers have preceded the Tests. In 2005, England produced some of their best 50-over form of the decade to share the NatWest Series courtesy of a tied final against Australia
I must admit I'll be asleep during this match, but good luck Aussies. Here's a little something for atmosphere:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Marvellous, didn't know Elvis played cricket...?

N.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Marvellous, didn't know Elvis played cricket...?
Cricket (especially in the 70s) was made for Elvis - whites with flares ;). I'm not sure which musician would best suit the Aussie ODI uniform - Bananas in Pyjamas, perhaps? :lol:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
What, no bragging yet? (Notice I let this thread die for a little while? :dry:) Not looking good for the Aussies so far, 2-Nil series lead to England :(.

Story: Liberated England turn the tables
When, in the aftermath of another one-sided contest, it was put to Ricky Ponting that England are now one victory away from being able to claim bragging rights in all three forms of international cricket, he bridled with the sort of indignity which suggested that the question was not as preposterous as it might have sounded six months ago.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Cricket seems to have dissapeared from sports scheduling. World Cup and Wibledon I suppose. Haven't had much time lately, real things keep happening!

N.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
England finally decided to let us win one :p
England v Australia, 4th ODI, The Oval
Australia 290 for 5 (Clarke 99*, Ponting 92) beat England 212 (Yardy 57, Harris 5-32) by 78 runs

Also:
Ashes loss could end Ponting's captaincy
http://www.cricinfo.com/england-v-australia-2010/content/current/story/465693.html
"I'd probably be looking for a new job if we lose again," Ponting told the Daily Mail. "It's as simple as that."
No kidding mate. Losing three Ashes series? No Aussie captain could ever expect to survive that.

In other news, the rhetoric from both sides of the ICC over the John Howard non-election has been keeping me amused. How do you watch that and then tell your son "its only a game" :dry:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Eh, makes it more interesting. :p

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Eh, makes it more interesting. :p
True. I know that Howard's indignation at getting knocked back doesn't help, but now our new PM has decided to weigh in on the debate. This is turning into a mega trans-Indian Ocean flame war:
Indian columnist Suhel Seth says racism does not end with the former prime minister.

"Australia is a racist country. There is nothing secular or non-racial about them," he said.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I wonder how he got that idea?

We invite everyone in as long as you have the right paper work and come by plane...

More surprisingly is that you can hardly get a peep out the sports report in the news. Surely cricket is more popular than soccer...

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
More surprisingly is that you can hardly get a peep out the sports report in the news. Surely cricket is more popular than soccer...
No way cricket is going to get more popular at this rate...

Aamer helps Pakistan to 2-0 Twenty20 win
http://www.cricinfo.com/pakistan-v-australia-2010/content/current/story/466322.html
Pakistan 162 for 9 (Kamran Akmal 33, O'Keefe 3-29, Nannes 3-30) beat Australia 151 (D Hussey 33, Mohammad Aamer 3-27) by 11 runs

If Pakistan are a confidence team, their Twenty20 efforts over the past two days augur well for next week's first Test.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Just a psychological thing, Australians perform better when they are the underdog ;)

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Ha ha ha...I must write that down.

N.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
:lol: So the prosecution will be packing their kit bags for the trip down-under too?

After three recent Australian Test losses, England are rated above the Australian side for first time since the rankings began.
I note that this is more due to Australia's slide than to England's rise, you are still only at fourth ;)

Anyway, Australia lost again last night in the hit-and-giggle game:
Dominant Sri Lanka crush Australia
http://www.cricinfo.com/australia-v-sri-lanka-2010/content/current/story/484492.html
Sri Lanka 3 for 135 (Sangakkara 44*, Dilshan 41) beat Australia 8 for 133 (Haddin 35, Randiv 3-25) by 7 wickets

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I think anybody would be happy to have a trip to watch, wish I could afford it.

Best not mention the rugby...

N.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Notebook, best to use Rugby League ;)

Australia are doing quite poorly in Rugby (Union).

Phil Gould said he was looking forward to the cricket. The football in the last 30 minutes was shameful from both sides.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
A month to go...should be plenty of time for wind-ups!

N.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
...plenty of time for wind-ups!
???
attachment.php

Attachments

• wind-up-cricket-ball.jpg
    wind-up-cricket-ball.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 58

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Takes ball tampering to a whole new level, now you need a mechanical engineer.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Aussies snatch defeat from jaws of victory
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11/03/3056532.htm
Australia has inexplicably coughed up the opening one-day international from an almost unbeatable position, with Sri Lanka piling on a record ninth-wicket partnership en route to a scarcely believable one-wicket win at the MCG.

Chasing 240 for victory, the visitors were in dire straits at 8 for 107 before an all-time record stand of 132 off just 110 balls between Angelo Mathews (77 not out) and Lasith Malinga (56 off 48 balls) turned the game in their favour.
Hint to Michael Clarke: Use your spinners when the ball is getting older! [rant]There is no point putting flat medium pacers on a platter for a tail-ender intent on slogging. With the bulk of Malinga's runs coming from boundaries, how many catching opportunities would Australia have had from some spin? You don't need a lot of spin for a ninth order batsmen either, just a little variation. Steven Smith only bowled three overs (3-0-8-0)![/rant]