Updates Astra Updates & Discussions

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
A startup company called Astra is trying to launch has successfully launched a rocket into orbit. The rocket is called Rocket 3 and its launch site is situated at Kodiak Island, Alaska. The company was founded in 2016 by Adam London, Chris Kemp, and former employees of SpaceX. Chris Kemp is an IT executive of NASA. Astra's goal is "to reshape how the space industry works, starting with how we get there."

Current vehicle: Rocket 3
Launch site: Pacific Spaceport Complex, Alaska (PSCA)

This thread should be discussed about Astra, their ambitions, and their rockets.

Last edited:

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Two days ago (in UTC), the rocket startup Astra has successfully launched its rocket, Rocket 3, into orbit from Pacific Spaceport Complex, Alaska (PSCA). Rocket 3 was originally intended to make its first flight in March 2020 as part of the DARPA launch challenge. However, due to bad weather and some technical issues, the rocket could not be able to launch within the deadline and the DARPA challenge was expired thereafter. After that, we have COVID-19, lockdowns, work from home, etc., which hampered the progress of Astra as a startup. However, amid this, they tested the rocket and made some failed flights until they eventually was able to fly the rocket into orbit.

I haven't much followed the startup, so I don't really know the specifics of what they have tested with Rocket 3. Feel free to discuss about the specifics and some new updates related to the startup.

(content reposted from my duplicated post)