Augustine commission/Ares alternatives

Insane

Reaction score
I don't agree that it definitely won't happen, Spicer. Over at nasaspaceflight.com, the rumours seem to be that Ares I is as good as dead, and they're looking at alternatives. NASA seem to want to choose anything BUT Direct, but I'd like to think good sense will win the day. It seems to tick every box. The panel know about it, and it's viability is being checked independently.

As far as I know from reading around, the three contenders are:

Direct (or Direct in everything but name) - EELV - Not-Shuttle-C.

Fingers crossed that's true and Ares has been laid to rest.

Zatnikitelman - Yes, that's exactly how I read it also. His original concept of Ares I might have been okay (although still questionable), but since it lost anything to make it remotely shuttle derived (completely different SRB, new upperstage, new upperstage engine) it's been a pointless exercise, taking capabilities away from Orion as it goes. If Griffin wants humanity to become a "Space fairing civilisation", then he really should realise that his rocket is a hinderance rather than a help in achieving it.

Not even going into Ares V, it's mutated into something unspeakable.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
An interesting article on how the U.S. Space Policy could be changed (which frankly, I have to say I agree with):

www.thespacereview.com/article/1433/1

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 17:54 ----------

The below post was originally posted by me on the Ares I-X thread. I have copied it here as it is relevant to this discussion, and it saves me typing it all out again. ;)
----------

Voices are growing, including such who actually critize Ares, that the commission is very likely not going to dissuade from the current program and its progress, which made it that far DIRECT-fans only can dream about ;)

I think such talk is merely to stop the media from launching a massive story about how much taxpayer money NASA would have wasted on Ares if it were cancelled, which would cause a public outcry, and prevent Ares from being cancelled at all.

If NASA were not willing to change Ares, then the Augustine Commission would not have been tasked with looking into alternatives.

There are plenty within NASA who would still like to see Ares cancelled.

It doesn't matter how much progress has been made, what matters is how much progress still needs to be made before it can fly.
Ares may be farther down the line that DIRECT, but that doesn't mean that it will necessarily be quicker to finish than DIRECT.

Indeed, the DIRECT team is currently looking to see how much Ares hardware that has already begun construction (such as the new Mobile Launcher) could be used for DIRECT, so as to minimise the hardware waste, and subsequent money & time loss if a switch from Ares to DIRECT were made (which in turn would make a switch from Ares to DIRECT more attractive to NASA ;)).

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

Another interesting article: Don't dump Shuttle now!

www.news-press.com/article/20090804/OPINION/908040317/1015

---------- Post added at 18:12 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

The latest news I heard was that the "Not Shuttle-C" aka "Side Mount HLV" is currently the commission’s most favoured alternative to Ares.
I don't agree with this. I think we should just cut loose of the Shuttle design, and go with something that is specifically designed to do the job needed now (return to Moon and Mars). It's like replacing the chassis on your car to make it into a 4X4, instead of just buying a proper 4x4.
I know there's a lot of talk about losing the Shuttle workforce & their skills, but would it really be too hard for people to re-train? That is after all supposed to be one of the unique qualities of Human Beings - the ability to learn new things. Providing the workers are supported financially during re-training, I don't see a problem.

Also, a 2 year Shuttle extension seems likely (which I am currently undecided about. If it will impact Constellation dramatically, then I think it is a bad idea. However, if it can be done with minimal impact to Constellation, then I am inclined to agree.)

Source:
www.nasaspaceflight.com/2009/07/major-shuttle-and-iss-extension-drive-augustine-commission

Last edited:

Moonwalker

Reaction score
independent
Over at nasaspaceflight.com, the rumours seem to be that Ares I is as good as dead, and they're looking at alternatives.

Who is looking at alternatives? ;)

At nasaspaceflight.com you can also read the following, which is what I think as well because it's the most likely result:

"I honestly think this review will work on a "stay the course" with refinements to the plan for what the vehicles will be tasked with doing."

Chris Bergin, NSF Managing Editor

Remember that the commission is visiting NASA, the Ares people and their work. The whole thing is about jobs and about progress that has come amazingly far like no other manned proposals since the Shuttle development. It is not an idea anymore, nor is it just an early study on paper. If you will, the commission basically is listening to strong NASA voices of Ares proponents. It is actually a task to more or less "finally" show the public that NASA is doing more well than some voices tend to negate.

Only a fool believes that the result will be a full abandonment of Ares and Orion just for the sake of DIRECT and its fans and a few other voices. Just by looking at the commission members you can already guess how "independent" the panel really is...

Ban me if I should be wrong and the commission would contribute to totally change Constellation. But I say it won't happen. There are hopes by DIRECT fans and others, but little chances.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

There are plenty within NASA who would still like to see Ares cancelled.

Of course. And I can understand them. They don't want to lose their jobs, those who work on the Shuttle program and those who profited from it for many years like the HST scientists and others.

Insane

Reaction score
Who is looking at alternatives? ;)

The panel. The commission. What do you think it's for? Rumours (and admittedly they are mere rumours), that a lot of workers were brought off Ares I recently and moved over to Ares V.

At nasaspaceflight.com you can also read the following, which is what I think as well because it's the most likely result:

"I honestly think this review will work on a "stay the course" with refinements to the plan for what the vehicles will be tasked with doing."

Chris Bergin, NSF Managing Editor

Great, I respect his opinion. I'd like to see more of his reasoning behind the claim, however.

Remember that the commission is visiting NASA, the Ares people and their work. The whole thing is about jobs and about progress that has come amazingly far like no other manned proposals since the Shuttle development. It is not an idea anymore, nor is it just an early study on paper. If you will, the commission basically is listening to strong NASA voices of Ares proponents. It is actually a task to more or less "finally" show the public that NASA is doing more well than some voices tend to negate.

Amazingly far is pushing it. It implies that great things have been achieved. Delays, setbacks, downgrades, cost overruns, is this amazingly far? True, these aren't just theoretical plans for some future date anymore, hard work is being done on them. If you think that's a reason to continue down that path however, even if the result is bleak, then I must respectfully but wholeheartedly disagree.

Only a fool believes that the result will be a full abandonment of Ares and Orion just for the sake of DIRECT and its fans and a few other voices. Just by looking at the commission members you can already guess how "independent" the panel really is...

Who said Orion is going to be abandoned? DIRECT's architecture is based solely AROUND Orion, and maximising its capabilities. They aren't proposing to completely erase Constellation and kick off with a new plan, they've proposed a launch system which they think, and it's hard to disagree with them, is actually a better system with which to complete ALL the goals of Constellation. Their rockets aren't burdened with weight and performance problems like Ares I, nor do they cost as exhorbitantly as the two rocket system. The shuttle infrastructure can be maintained, far fewer jobs will be lost, and due to similarities with the current Shuttle system, it'll be shorter in time to develop.

Why do you think the DIRECT team has spent all this time, 3 years I believe, designing and developing an architecture? Why do you think it has so many fans? You seem to be implying that it's just some outside teenagers with ideas exceeding their station. About 70 current NASA employees have been developing this system. This isn't an amateur effort. They're doing that not because they're bored, but because they seem deep rooted problems with the current system. I find it difficult to disagree with them. I'm also not sure what you mean by "just for the sake of DIRECT and its fans and other voices"? They'd select DIRECT based on its merits as a launch system, and that alone.

Ban me if I should be wrong and the commission would contribute to totally change Constellation. But I say it won't happen. There are hopes by DIRECT fans and others, but little chances.

Those hopes are shared by a whole lot of people. Again I get the feeling that you're saying that DIRECT are spoilt little kids trying to get their own way, to hurt the gentle giant of NASA. What they're trying to do is help NASA in achieving Constellation. There has been a lot of talk by the commission into changing the goals of Constellation as well. Indeed, the original plan of the Lunar base looks to be off the table entirely, unaffordable in the current budget. The options they themselves presented to change from Lunar base were: Lunar global (sortie based); Moon first then Mars; Mars first; and Flexible (no landings, focus on systems development, visits to NEOs, Lunar orbit, Phobos, Venus etc). Constellation as originally planned is undoable on the current budget.

---------- Post added at 05:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Of course. And I can understand them. They don't want to lose their jobs, those who work on the Shuttle program and those who profited from it for many years like the HST scientists and others.

Again, not just people who will lose their jobs don't like Ares. Believe it or nost, a lot of people just don't think it will work (very well, if at all), and want Nasa to have a system for the next few decades that does work, and does work very well.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Great, I respect his opinion. I'd like to see more of his reasoning behind the claim, however.

Because he is being told that there is a thought process going on that Ares has come too far so that it would be a huge decision to just cut it. Also, the NEO note along with the announcement of the review implies that Ares quite possibly is continued being used.

Delays, setbacks, downgrades, cost overruns, is this amazingly far?

That is business as usual while developing a new system. Today people expect 100% reliability, almost no problems at all and no huge costs. And this does simply not work, well at best on paper if at all.

[...snip...]

Believe it or nost, a lot of people just don't think it will work (very well, if at all)

The Space Shuttle development did not look very promising as well (it caused Skylab being abandoned). The exploding main engines and the massive tiles losses during early and even late tests, as only one example, have caused a massive delay. The whole "new" program back in the late 70's initially made even STS-1 pilot Robert Crippen, but some others think, that NASA has screwed up bad this time. Would the internet have been existed at that time already, oh boy, we'd have seen a comparable flame war going on in blogs and comments sections. Less than ever because the Shuttle had been tested manned on its very first lift off into space. Unimaginably today since a lot of sissies would express their concerns like they do on Ares.

The Shuttle never became what it was designed for: being a cheap vehicle that is being launched hundreds of times until the year 2000. Today fans and NASA workers get stuck on it and even support an extension of the foam losing flights followed by a usage of its hardware for another decades into the future.

...Their rockets aren't burdened with weight and performance problems like Ares I, nor do they cost as exhorbitantly as the two rocket system. The shuttle infrastructure can be maintained, far fewer jobs will be lost, and due to similarities with the current Shuttle system, it'll be shorter in time to develop.

All that on paper. I very doubt that it would be anything but cheaper. I think it's a great dream rather than reality would reveal.

Why do you think the DIRECT team has spent all this time, 3 years I believe, designing and developing an architecture? Why do you think it has so many fans?

Because thousands of jobs are going to be lost. It is a job-keeping concept in the first place.

You seem to be implying that it's just some outside teenagers with ideas exceeding their station. About 70 current NASA employees have been developing this system. This isn't an amateur effort. They're doing that not because they're bored, but because they seem deep rooted problems with the current system. I find it difficult to disagree with them. I'm also not sure what you mean by "just for the sake of DIRECT and its fans and other voices"? They'd select DIRECT based on its merits as a launch system, and that alone.

Whenever we talk about the 62 allegedly NASA engineers who allegedly designed DIRECT, we merely just talk about 0,8% of NASA people who are going to lose their jobs because of the Shuttle retirement. DIRECT might not be an amateur effort, but it's not a major effort as well. It's a small group of allegedly NASA employees that represent 0,00X% of all NASA employees.

About 34.000 NASA people worked on Apollo. Would 60 or 100 different voices have made a difference? No.

Insane

Reaction score
Because he is being told that there is a thought process going on that Ares has come too far so that it would be a huge decision to just cut it. Also, the NEO note along with the announcement of the review implies that Ares quite possibly is continued being used.

It would be a huge decision indeed. Doesn't mean it would be the wrong one though. I'll dig out the post or article you're talking about later and have a look more closely.

That is business as usual while developing a new system. Today people expect 100% reliability, almost no problems at all and no huge costs. And this does simply not work, well at best on paper if at all.
A brand new system, yes. Because that's what this system is, absolutely brand new, not the "Shuttle Derived" one that it initially set out to be. And brand new implies unforeseen problems to crop up in the development.

The Space Shuttle development did not look very promising as well (it caused Skylab being abandoned). The exploding main engines and the massive tiles losses during early and even late tests, as only one example, have caused a massive delay. The whole "new" program back in the late 70's initially made even STS-1 pilot Robert Crippen, but some others think, that NASA has screwed up bad this time. Would the internet have been existed at that time already, oh boy, we'd have seen a comparable flame war going on in blogs and comments sections. Less than ever because the Shuttle had been tested manned on its very first lift off into space. Unimaginably today since a lot of sissies would express their concerns like they do on Ares.
Quite possibly there would have been such a discussion, yes. I see that as a huge benefit of the internet, however - the ability for minority voices to be heard by the many, so that a worthwhile idea can be communicated. The Shuttle is an engineering marvel, no question, but, as you say, it didn't do what it set out to. Maybe, if the Internet had existed back then, there would indeed have been a huge debate about its abilities. I'm fairly certain that when they put it into use, they didn't intend it to be the only US spacecraft for the next 30, probably now 40 years. I really don't think the Shuttle is a good analogy to use in providing an argument for letting NASA get on with it.

The Shuttle never became what it was designed for: being a cheap vehicle that is being launched hundreds of times until the year 2000. Today fans and NASA workers get stuck on it and even support an extension of the foam losing flights followed by a usage of its hardware for another decades into the future.
Yes, because it's the best that's already available. When NASA announced Ares, it said that the system would continue to use "the best and most reliable systems from the Space Shuttle, its SRBs and SSMEs". Well, bang went that plan. Those most reliable parts can no longer be used. It needs an even bigger SRB, a complete new engine on the upperstage, all without getting (a weakened) Orion into orbit. And if the SRB explodes, it looks like Orion's parachutes will be melted by flying chunks of solid fuel, since a bigger abort motor would be too heavy.

Of course people want to maintain some parts of the Shuttle. It would be cheaper to develop, probably quicker, and is proven over hundreds of flights. The foam is hardly a problem anymore, considering that was a danger to the side mounted Orbiter, not the top mounted capsule Orion.

All that on paper. I very doubt that it would be anything but cheaper. I think it's a great dream rather than reality would reveal.
Cheaper isn't a bad thing to go on right now, looking at NASAs budget. They certainly aren't burdened with weight problems, considering it's a Shuttle stack reconfigured. Even with the excessive margins they've used on their numbers, the rocket can still comfortably lift a lunar class Orion. And more. 20mT+, can't remember the exact amount, but it's plenty.

As for Shuttle infrastructure, I don't see how that can be argued against. Pads, launch platforms and such will have to be modified far, far less for something that more or less resembles a Shuttle, than thin little Ares I and the Monolithic Ares V. Development time? No new engines. No new boosters. It won't be done overnight, but I'd like to think the changes from the Shuttle into it wouldn't take 8, 9 years, which is how long Ares I is expected to be. Orion would be the thing delaying things, unlike the situation that's likely to be faced.

Because thousands of jobs are going to be lost. It is a job-keeping concept in the first place.
It's a concept which does exactly what Constellation wanted back in 2005. A Shuttle derived system, that is safer and cheaper. It avoids the political minefield of huge job losses as well, yes. It's a system which works in a great deal of ways. It's not purely job oriented.

Whenever we talk about the 62 allegedly NASA engineers who allegedly designed DIRECT, we merely just talk about 0,8% of NASA people who are going to lose their jobs because of the Shuttle retirement. DIRECT might not be an amateur effort, but it's not a major effort as well. It's a small group of allegedly NASA employees that represent 0,00X% of all NASA employees.

About 34.000 NASA people worked on Apollo. Would 60 or 100 different voices have made a difference? No.
I'd call formulating a rocket launch system for the next generation of US human spaceflight, and progressing it to such a level that it will be potentially considered by the Whitehouse as its primary system for the next 30 years, fairly major. It's a great disservice to say otherwise. You also seem to think that the ones working on the project are its only supporters at the agency. I strongly, strongly doubt that is the case. Again, not solely about the job aspect either.

As for severe minorities of the agency ever managing to change policy, I believe the Apollo LOR system would be one example. Back in the day of no internet, no less.

Your arguments seem to be based on "NASA has always done things this way, lets trust them," and "we've gone too far to turn back now". I see both as weak. 1 - NASA is fallible. 2 - We're not even close to the point of no return yet. If there is substantial evidence that the current path is misguided, that should not be ignored. If there is yet more evidence that an alternative path could be more suitable, then that evidence should be examined, not cast away as a fringe group worried about their job statuses.

---------- Post added 08-05-2009 at 02:38 AM ---------- Previous post was 08-04-2009 at 11:29 PM ----------

Just spent some time digging around that quote you provided from the NSF managing editor. It appears that it was posted late May, a few days before the USAF released their study into the (lack of) effectiveness of Ares I's LAS in the event of SRB explosion. This is not a small setback.

I dug up a couple of, more recent, posts from the NSF managing editor. I'm wary of quoting him, as I wouldn't feel comfortable inferring things into what he says without him here to either correct or confirm what I say. Rather, I'll just link to the two posts, and let you read into them what you will:

14th July, 2009: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=17820.msg436826;topicseen#msg436826
31st July, 2009: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=18073.msg451103#msg451103

As I said, I don't wish to infer things into what he's saying, but I think the phrase "death throws" is fairly clear. Also, notable that support for DIRECT or other SDLV's isn't solely the realm of those losing jobs, or those uneducated in NASA history and processes. There just comes a time when a program is so far off course, you just have to kill it.

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Bumping thread to wonder, did the Augustine commission deliver a punch to the gut for human space exploration yesterday? I say "exploration" and not "flight" intentionally.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Bumping thread to wonder, did the Augustine commission deliver a punch to the gut for human space exploration yesterday? I say "exploration" and not "flight" intentionally.
What happened yesterday?

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
What happened yesterday?

Public meeting in Washington D.C. outlining their report. To paraphrase (but not by much!):

1. Shuttle likely extended (2011? 2015?). ISS likely extended (2020? 2025?).

2. Constellation/Ares is dead man walking. Panel mentioned, "if Santa Claus delivered Ares V complete we couldn't afford to fly it." No mission for Ares I at all - see below.

3. Altair all but gone, NASA isn't landing anywhere anytime soon. Orion on severe notice ("You're not looking at all well, Orion!"). If kept however, Orion would be launched empty. Crew would take a Dragon or other such commercial "taxi" up and rendezvous with outbound Orion. Inbound - well that wasn't really made clear.

4. LEO ops to be turned over to commercial space. NASA is out of the launcher business. Too costly, no reason without a destination. And all the destinations cost too much.

5. Panel asserts Aerospace Corp. claimed insufficient time to flesh out cost details on Direct. So it got lumped in with side-mount, both systems as cargo LV only.

6. Forget Mars. We might send robots to the moon, might not. Might send probes to deep space, might not. Earliest expected NASA return to moon: 2030.

Of course, all this is only my impression of the preliminary findings for their report, they say another meeting is likely before the final draft. But it seems a tussle is being staged between the administration and congress, budget (not technical issues) will drive the debate, and in the balance is (American) human space exploration.

Anybody else see the meeting and care to weigh in?

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yea, I didn't see any video, but read the slides. None of its actually decided, but they did seem to lean in favor of commercial crew launches. Personally, I think they'll go with the existing shuttle manifest through 2011, then depend on the Russians until a man-rated commercial ELV is ready. Then I think it'll be a food fight between Ares V (pick your version) and 'Not Shuttle-C'.

Looking forward to seeing the videos.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
That NASA is out of manned space flight / LEO might be the wish and impressions of some individuals (as usual since the Shuttle was announced to be retired), but it is neither the goal of NASA, nor the goal of the US government.

Insane

Reaction score
I did catch a fair bit of the meeting, Doug. You covered everything pretty well I think.

Ares I is pretty much agreed as pointless. The only way it doesn't bust the budget is if ISS is killed in 2016, and since the rocket itself can't launch manned Orion till around the same period (at earliest), it has no purpose as a launch vehicle. Ares V has a chance of remaining, but I see it as an outsider. Two front runners for launch are SDLV (NSC or Jupiter) and EELV super heavy. I'd bank on SDLV. Have a feeling they might go with sidemount. Anything's better than Ares I.

The most interesting thing for me from this whole commission is the actual view of where we should be going. I'd assumed beforehand it was going to be a discussion of how best to get to the moon, but that's proved anything but the case. The most favoured option, from what I could sense, was "Deep Space", no landings on deep gravity wells, the focus on developing interplanetary systems and infrastructure. Some say it'll kill exploration, some say it'll enable it. Whilst, as Doug says, it delays lunar landing until 2030, there's a Martian manned flyby a year EARLIER than that, and NEOs several years prior to that. Mid 2035s, maybe get into Martian orbit, onto Phobos. 2040 - Mars landing? Huge speculation there though.

The Orion debate is also surprising. I'd thought that was a lock in as well beforehand, but with the apparent preferring of commercial crew transport, it loses its purpose somewhat. Purely a reentry vehicle?

As a curiosity of mine, does anyone know anything detailed about Space-Dev's Dreamchaser? I know it's heavily based off the old HL-20, but is it likely to work, be cost effective, heavily reusable, quick turnaround, etc?

The main thing to take away from the meeting was that, under the CURRENT budget, exploration isn't workable. The ray of hope was that with a $3bn a year increase, at least SOME can be done. Not quickly, but there'll be something.

They also unanimously agreed that, after ruling out the "Mars First" option due to exhorbitant costs, they should frame each other option as being direct steps towards Mars. How different they'll be from the countless other architectures saying the same thing remains to be seen.

I don't think it's the end of exploration, though. Really, has it even properly begun?

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
Is this a government commision or NASA commision?
If its a government commision, just let NASA do their job and let them go, there've been doing this sort of thing for 50 years, and there pretty good at it.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
That NASA is out of manned space flight / LEO might be the wish and impressions of some individuals (as usual since the Shuttle was announced to be retired), but it is neither the goal of NASA, nor the goal of the US government.
Of course it is not NASA's goal. As for the goal of the government, that is basically why the commission was set up in the first place. They were told: here is the budget, tell us what is the best bang-for-buck?

Is this a government commision or NASA commision?
If its a government commision, just let NASA do their job and let them go, there've been doing this sort of thing for 50 years, and there pretty good at it.
It is a government commission. The trouble is, Ryan, NASA is being asked to do way more than it has been given the budget to do, so they can't just go and "do their job".

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Slice it anyway you want. Knowing there won't be another Moon landing in my lifetime is depressing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It is a government commission. The trouble is, Ryan, NASA is being asked to do way more than it has been given the budget to do, so they can't just go and "do their job".

No bucks, no buck rogers.

Which is why I don't have Griffin very high in my regards - he was in the position to go and say "You are not giving us the needed funds for what you want from us, we can't do that." The whole Constellation mess happened during his short reign and I have trouble finding reasons for blaming O'Keefe for at least a part of it: O'Keefes ESMD was a classic boring Phase 0 study, which held all options open.

When Griffin locked all ESMD related stuff into the poison locker and decided that Constellation is the one and only approach to go (and starting a new Phase 0 study with ESAS around Constellation for it), the budget should have been raised more for achieving the goals - but without a real Phase 1 study for showing that the selected approach is the most economic alternative as ammunition, Griffin had to take what the Congress can offer him...And the congress turned hostile a bit lately. ;)

Ark

Reaction score
So, in layman's terms, they've decided that without raising their budget, NASA isn't going to accomplish a damn thing within any reasonable timeframe.

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Slice it anyway you want. Knowing there won't be another Moon landing in my lifetime is depressing.
Cheer up. :) Nothing keeps Branson or Bigelow or Musk or even a group of teenaged brainiacs from doing it. All the committee is doing is dooming NASA, not everybody else. Right?